Friday, January 18, 2019

Friday Smiles 304: The Museum of World Treasures, part 2


I'm joining Annie's Friday Smiles and this week we are once again visiting the inside of the new museum.  It's not really a new museum, because I've been here before.  However, for this visit, I'll be checking out some areas I've never seen before.  But first, let's start with a couple of funnies I blatantly stole from my friend Kaybee's Ink, Paint, & Me blog.  Do check out her fantastic blog in case you've never been before.  Like she noted, these hit rather close to home and have a ring of truth to them.


I have come to the conclusion
that buying craft supplies and
actually using them are two
separate hobbies!



My 2019 New Year's resolution
is to finish all my craft projects from 2018
that I should have done in 2017,
after I started them in 2016
after buying the supplies in 2015
with the patterns I found in 2014!
 
Let's get right to the museum, now.  So many photos, so little time.
 
We begin in the gift shop where I had to turn in my ticket I had printed at home allowing two people to visit this day free as part of the Smithsonian Museum Day.   I wish I wore Tee shirts (I go from sleeveless to long sleeves) because I really loved the one showing our city flag being devoured by Ivan the T-Rex.

You definitely can't walk by this life sized T-Rex and not be impressed.  But it was time to head for MY destination, the 2nd Floor.   Sally never left the first floor.

For today's photos, we will visit the Founding of America, then next week we will move on to the Hall of Presidents.


A few notes about this sign: Native Americans and Slaves were our shame.  It should never have happened.  Instead of trying to live in peaceful harmony in a new land, we tried to convert the Native Americans to our way of life.  We should never have owned slaves or forced Native Americans onto reservations.  I can't say that enough.  You would think that with this new land, we could at least treat all people equally.  That didn't happen and we still feel shades of this today.

The President is SUPPOSED to implement and enforce the laws written by Congress, but this one thinks he is a god and can bully his way into getting what he wants.  Presidents before this one have upheld these ideas, ideals, and concepts, but . . . .

These are the 13 original colonies.

I realize this is a lousy photo because of the lighting,

but if you raise each colony that fits like a jigsaw puzzle, you read about important details.  You can also see when each was colonized.  I spent way too much time here, reading, reading, reading.

What happens when everything is under glass or plexiglass?  You photo bomb  yourself.  You can see my very curly hair and my really loose fitting top.  I simply can't stand anything against my skin, that's why my clothes are about three sizes too large for me.

I did it a second time, too.

This explains about Colonial families and their children.


All of the colonies had well documented information.  I liked how it kept the information simple enough for children, yet interesting enough for adults.  This explains how Georgia was named for King George II who let Oglethorpe bring debtors to the new world.  Many of them were unhappy for the various reasons noted, which caused the colony to fail.

I would hate to be a vegan or someone needing a Keto friendly diet starting out in the colonies.  They would either starve or adapt.  How is it, all these Casein free, gluten free, paleo, and Keto requirements have only come to light in the past 60 years or so?

Most colonists cooked in a pot over an open fire.

I'll pass on the squirrel and goose, thank you.  I've had squirrel and it tasted like grease!

Pirates were a problem, especially in the southern states.

Once again, I ask you, why must every civilization we Anglos come in contact with, be converted to our way of thinking.

As is often the case, the church is the center of every colony, no matter how large or small.


These are the circumstances leading up to the creation of our independence.

Some ways the colonies chose to protect themselves.  In case you thought I was alone in this room, you can see how crowded it was.  I just tried to stay out of the way and not get jostled too much.

More great information about the 13 original colonies.


Even more information from each of the original 13 colonies.   Gosh, I wish Sam Adams stout beer made it this far west!

Thankfully, I was too short to photo bomb this picture.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said here

and here.


Thankfully there were  people standing in front of the Continental Army uniform.

 Seems I got nothing readable from Connecticut.
 
Information about Virginia was paired with an interactive display.

Lots of people also visiting meant I couldn't wait forever for them to leave before a whole new group took their place.

It is here we note the Revolution has begun.

It was good to read that women became famous during the Revolutionary War.  It's a pity they weren't covered under the constitution.

These are the laws created by the Founding Fathers.  The Declaration announced that the Thirteen Colonies, at war with Great Britain, would regard themselves as thirteen independent sovereign states, no longer under British rule.

The Constitution is the law of the land.  It set up the three separate bodies of government, with separation of power divided into the three distinct powers: Congress, President, and the Supreme Court.

The Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments to the United States Constitution.  There are now 27 amendments.

We are now into the area of the Presidents.

Any idea who this desk belonged to?  In case you can't tell (yes, it's a former president), all will be revealed next week.  I suspect those of you who live in the U.S. will know better than my International friends.  In fact, this may be of little interest to those of you who live abroad.  I DO hope you found it interesting, though. 

As always, I am grateful for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  She'll welcome you just like she did me several years ago.


18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a great museum. Perhaps the president would benefit from being sent to school to learn something worthwhile! Just got back from my very early morning appointment at the hospital, and I am heading back to bed to catch up on my sleep. Valerie

Annie said...

I can relate to the funnies at the top of the page ;-) The museum is wonderful....I especially loved the old uniforms [but of course I would]. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh wow Elizabeth what a great place and so informative. Maybe the president should visit this museum, he may learn something. In the hotel where we've been staying it has been American week or so it feels. There are many Americans on holiday here (if you can call skiing a holiday Lol!) I don't know where they are all from but think they've enjoyed their week here. Finally I have to say that your friend's funny is brilliant and I may have to nip over and have a close look at what she's up to. Have a brilliant weekend my friend. Angela xxx

chrissie said...

A lot of history to search through there Elizabeth. It does ;ook lile an interesting place to visit and thank you for sharing it with us

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

My name is Erika. said...

No exhibits of New Hampshire as we are one of the 13th original colonies? It is cool to see about the other colonies/first states. I agree about the T Rex T shirt. I would have liked that too. It is really cool how it is designed. And wow, I would have been at the fossil for a long time. It is amazing. I am fascinated by fossils. Looks like a good visit. Happy Friday Hugs-Erika

kaybee said...

Always love joining you on your museum visits and learning things I don't know. And those funnies made me smile all over again! I'm currently clearing out some crafting stuff and distributing around (in the hope I will move eventually!), and I'm am finding things that I know I bought for a particularly project but time has blurred the memory as to exactly what that project was!

froebelsternchen said...

Those funnies are so true - lol!
Love that you shared the exhibit of the museum part two now! Thank you!

I thought this Colonial diet would be very good and healthy nowadays for the US citizen and all around the world also !!

Happy Friday dear Elizabeth!
Big hugs, Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

The craft joke very amusing and sadly, too true. :-D Very interesting exhibit. I wouldn't want to be a British soldier and trying to keep those white breeches clean. And I think I know the answer about the desk.

mamapez5 said...

I can definitely relate to those 'funnies', so thanks for the smile.
You do visit some very interesting museums, but if I am honest I may have stayed with Sally on the first floor. But we can't all like the same things, and I do like the way everything is displayed.
Thanks for sharing your visit with us.
P.S. I line my recycling bins with black bags so I can lift them out to take in the car to the big bins, and then I empty them and use them again until they are too torn, and they too get recycled. Kate xx

Divers and Sundry said...

It would be hard to leave the first floor! But American history is fascinating, so I'm glad you made it upstairs to show us. How we treated people is shameful, I agree. You know what they say: if we don't study that history, we'll not get better. This president doesn't see the history, doesn't see his position in the context of the greater story. It's stunning to watch :(

I like over-sized clothing, too. Nothing tight. I will say I've gotten used to yoga pants for my yoga practice :) but my t-shirts are all 3 sizes "too big".

Those displays are attractive and informative. They did a good job, didn't they! I always enjoy your museum posts, as I do like museums but will likely never see the ones you visit in person. Thanks!

Lisca said...

Thank you so much for taking me to the museum. It is sooo interesting. I don't think we learnt this at school. I found the information panels very informative and easy to understand. As you say, suitable for children as well as adults. I found I could read most of the panels.
I was intrigued by the food info. It must have been such a culture shock. I have never heard of Succotash or Hominy. The panel refers to it as a staple of the modern American diet....
Of course the desk is a mystery for me. It probably is a famous one like Washington or Lincoln. My guess would be Washington because he was the first president if I am not mistaken.
Yes, your funnie was really funny and also very true for a lot of people.
Have a good weekend,
Lisca

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I vaguely remember succotash from my younger years; seems to me it actually came in the frozen food veggie section and consisted of lima beans and corn !! ??? thanx for sharing the photos ! ☺☺♥♥

sheila 77 said...

I found this fascinating, Elizabeth, your words and your photos made the "tour" so interesting. I peered at the photos to see if I could see you, but sadly could only see a very faint image. Thanks for all these many photos. Needless to say we didn't get any American history at school, at least none that I can remember.

Meggymay said...

This was a really interesting post Elizabeth, for those of us, like myself who don't live in the USA, it is good to read this kind of history and see the photos.
At school I only remember being taught European history with a very small mention of Americas history.
I liked today's funnies and can relate to them like many others.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Great museum tour-thanks for all of the photos.
I love that second "poem" that fits me for sure always seems like so little time Once moved to the lake house-I hope to do allot of creating

Mia said...

This museum seems really interesting, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for the great photos and information you shared with us. Hugs, my friend.

Jeanie said...

A Decade of Intolerable Facts. That is so well stated. And unfortunately, I think we're looking at another such decade.

It's a terrific museum and I'm so glad you're sharing that with us. Thanks!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love the exhibits in this museum - I know so little about American history so have been trying to read the displays - I am in a bit of a rush - T is coking our meal! I will come back to continue reading!! Hugs, Chrisx