Friday, December 14, 2018

Angels we have heard on high


By now, many of you, my loyal readers, friends, and followers may be aware that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  I chose 'Tis the Season for this spread.  Today I'm paying homage to Christmas angels.  I am also joining Moo Mania and More with their theme Angels.

This is a Christian hymn known as Hymn of the Angels.  It is often abbreviated to Gloria in Excelsis or simply Gloria.

Here are the complete lyrics:
Angels we have heard on high,
Singing sweetly through the night,
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their brave delight.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.
 
Shepherds, why this jubilee?
Why these songs of happy cheer?
What great brightness did you see?
What glad tiding did you hear?
Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Come to Bethlehem and see
Him whose birth the angels sing;
Come, adore on bended knee
Christ, the Lord, the new-born King.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.

See him in a manger laid
Whom the angels praise above;
Mary, Joseph, lend your aid,
While we raise our hearts in love.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Gloria in excelsis Deo.





For the left side, I began with a piece of deli paper I colored in yellow and green/blue. 

To it, I added an assemblage that began with blue card stock.  I rounded the corners using a star corner punch and punched a hole for the brad I colored using blue embossing powder.  To that, I added another layer of blue and white, the same color I used on the deli paper, even though it didn't look the same due to the different materials.  For the final layer, I added a stamped angel on handmade paper I tore by hand.

For the right side, I started with a page from a German book, then added three angel images I printed on handmade paper using my inkjet printer.  Finally, I added all the computer generated words I colored using water soluble crayons.

Bleubeard and I are so thrilled you chose to join us today as we celebrate this beautiful season.  We also hope to see you at both Moo Mania and More with their theme Angels and Art Journal Journey where my themes are Favorite Season, or 'Tis the Season.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful pages. I remember that song from my school days way back when! Have a great day, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I remember that song too but from my children's school days not mine.
Love the addition of the text pages, something I have not done so much this year. They always seem to add extra intrigue into projects and pages. Fabulous journal pages, I do hope I get chance to join in with AJJ before the year comes to an end.
Weekend Hugs Tracey x

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful my friend....love this and the song.
This time of year is lovely at our Mass with beautiful songs and hymns.xx

Words and Pictures said...

Such beautiful angel images - and they look especially good against the Gothic book text, a perfect background for them. The texture and golden glow of the facing page is really magical, and I love the angel at the heart of the frame too. I came upon Tchaikovsky's Hymn for the Cherubim for the first time yesterday (couple of ranks higher than the angels, sorry!), and I thought you might like it.
Alison x

My name is Erika. said...

This is a gorgeous spread. I love your angel images and that little bit of textured paper too. It really adds to your page. This is not only perfect for the holidays but beautiful too. Have a wonderful Friday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

One of my favorite carols. Such a lovely spread with the beautiful angel images.

Valerie-Jael said...

Just a quick thank you for the letter which arrived this morning. Wonders never cease! Valerie

Rosie said...

Wonderful pages, Elisabeth

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Have a nice weekend

Divers and Sundry said...

I especially like the background on the page on the left -the colors and depth, lovely!

Those aren't the words I know to that hymn. I learned it:
"Angels we have heard on high
Sweetly singing o'er the plains
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their joyous strains".
I'd never heard it the other way. So many different traditions :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I so love art journals and these pages look lovely. Have a great weekend. Big hugs, Angela xXx

froebelsternchen said...

Wow - those both pages are so special Elizabeth! I am specially impressed with the right side and how well this goes with the german text as a background. And great how you printed those angels on your handmade paper! WOW!!!!! And the left side is so great colored! This hymn is really beautiful - I also know it as a christmas song often heard in the church .
I am pleased to see you also at Moo Mania & More with your wonderful angel pages dear Elizabeth!

Thank you for your always stunnning art and for a rocking host month at AJJ!
Big hugs, Susi

Jeanie said...

Lovely, Elizabeth. I really love the old English font in the backgrounds.

Meggymay said...

This is a gorgeous spread Elizabeth. I love your design and the beautiful angel images. The Christmas hymn you reminded us of, I am now hearing in my head.
Yvonne xx

Sharon Madson said...

Beautifully done, Elizabeth! Love your theme this month. And love that song. Beautiful post.

kathyinozarks said...

I Love your angels Elizabeth-and love that song too
I received your card this week-thank you very much hugs Kathy

Lisca said...

What a beautiful journal page(s)!
Yes, I know the song too and I remember singing it in my own language as a child. But the Gloria in exelcis Deo remains the same.( in Latin)
I love the stamped angels and also the German page background. The old German letters are so beautiful. I still have a few books like this but I struggle to read their elaborate capital letters.
Lisca

Anne (cornucopia) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne (cornucopia) said...

These journal pages are fantastic. Great assortment of angels. And lovely song. I don't think I've heard it yet this season, so it was nice to see the words here. If I don't make it back to your blog again before Christmas, I wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and Bleubeard!

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely pages! I recall singing that song in choir in my youth. I particularly love the right-hand page. You have a great assortment of angels!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is beautiful Elizabeth! I haven't heard that hymn for ages! Your host of angels are wonderful!
Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful spread of angels! I haven't sung that particular carol in a while. xx

Rike said...

Wonderful Angel page, even the complete lyrics! Very interesting that you used an old German book page as background for these amazing angels!

EricaSta said...

I enjoyed this post. Following now your blogsite. Merry Christmas to you.
Hugs from Heidrun