Friday, November 30, 2018

Friday Smiles 300: Botanica, part 3


I am once again here for Annie's Friday Smiles.  This will be my final Friday Smiles until the new year.   I apologize because I am putting Friday Smiles on hiatus through the month of December.  I will be back with a final Botanica post on Friday January 4, 2019.

Last week there were various comments about the price of Botanica.  The ONLY two museums that offer a free day are WAM (Wichita Art Museum) and Cowtown.  No other museum in town offers a free day, period. No free passes, no free anything unless you are a member.

Some made comments about the cost.  Remember I said the only day we could go was Sunday, so here are the costs and hours of operation taken directly from their web site:

Your ticket of admission to the gardens 9am – 5pm, Monday-Saturday, year-round. Extended hours: Apr – Sept, Tue & Thur until 8pm.  Apr - Oct, Sunday 1pm – 5pm.

Pricing:
Youth (3 - 12) $5
Adults (13 - 61) $7
Seniors (62+) / Military $6

Now you see why I wanted to see how much I could see in four hours, because Sunday would be our only day we could visit.

Now that is out of the way, and YES, it does seem to be a bit expensive if you are going on Sunday, let's enjoy a few funnies.

As an early Christmas present, a man gets a talking parrot from his friend. He takes the parrot home and puts it in his living room.

But every time the man goes near the living room, he hears the parrot shouting insults at him. In desperation, he puts the parrot in the freezer.

After a few minutes, the insults stop. Thinking he might have killed the parrot, he takes it out of the freezer. The parrot is still alive, but it is shivering.

It stammers, "I'm s-sorry for b-b-being s-so rude. P-p-please forgive m-me."

So the man forgives him. After a while the parrot asks, "What exactly did the turkey do?"



Asked to write a composition entitled, "What I'm thankful for on Thanksgiving,"
little Timothy wrote, "I am thankful that I'm not a turkey."



On Christmas morning a woman told her husband, “I just dreamed that you gave me a beautiful diamond necklace.

What do you think it means?"

“You’ll know tonight," he said.

That evening just before opening presents, the husband came home with a small package and gave it to his wife.

Delighted, she opened it only to find a book entitled “The Meaning of Dreams."



A little girl asked her mother, "How did the human race appear?' The mother answered, 'God made Adam and Eve and they had children and so was all mankind made."

Two days later the girl asked her father the same question. The father answered, "Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved."

The confused girl returned to her mother and said, "Mom, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?"

The mother answered, "Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his."

Now let's head back to Botanica.

I knew the Children's Garden was in sight,

you can even see the rainbow arches in the background. 

However, I got distracted and headed to the Wildflower Meadow, hoping to get a few ideas for my front yard makeover.  I didn't have time to sit under the pergola they provided,

instead, I hurried to see the wildflowers and beautiful sculpture

called Prairie Flowers.  She was definitely surrounded by beautiful cone flowers,

asters,

and wild grasses that make up

a natural prairie garden.

It doesn't matter how many times I take a photo of this, it isn't going to make it appear any sooner.  BTW, the carousel horses, which have now been restored, will be housed in the hexagon building shown in the upper left part of the sign.

I have finally entered the Children's Garden where I spotted the Sunflower Plaza.  Although you can't see it, there is a Bubbler at the top of the sunflower and it is washing water over the sunflower.

The Plaza Pergola was a perfect place to get out of the extreme heat of the day.

I was now entering the farm where there were raised beds

and funky water pumps children could play with.  To the far right, mostly out of the photo, was the Farmer's Market.  The yellow Farmhouse was in the back of both photos above.

This is known as the Party Barn, possibly because after all that water adventure you might have to use the restrooms located on the side of the building.  I was more interested in the windmill.

I got the feeling, after spending time with the children at the art museum, that this might be a bit juvenile for them.  However, they might learn something if they took time to read all the information and plaques.  Maybe it was just me thinking it was too juvenile.

I found the salamander spring

was being inspected by a young lady

who was so engrossed, she had no idea anyone else was around.  Note the stream that runs under the bridge.

Looking ahead,

I could see a structure in the distance.

I climbed a bolder to see it better.  That might have been a nice place to rest if it wasn't a metal bench on which the sun was beating down!

It was now time to enter the tree and fairy house.

This led to the

tree house.  Next came

my favorite area in the entire Children's Garden: the musical maze.  There were people behind me and they shook their heads as I picked up the two mallets and began banging on the pipes. 

I stopped to take a photo of the horns, then realized they signified the next area of the maze.

Smaller mallets, but still fun to play with.  I was having fun!

Next up

were these bongo type drums.  I've never seen any so colorful before, though.

Ah!  These reminded me of tubular bells.

There were two sets of mallets to play with.  My arms weren't long enough to reach all the pieces, so this would be great for two people playing these.  They didn't sound like tubular bells, but they were very melodic none-the-less.

Another fun instrument also with two mallets.

Finally, the pebble chime.  Reminded me of the rain sticks that you flip upside down and the seeds inside sound like actual rain as they fall through the hollow inside.

And then the experience was over.

I had been here over three hours and it felt like less than one. 

There was one more spot I wanted to visit and I knew it was at the opposite end of the gardens.

It was time to head that way.

I had to pass the small lily pond that sits directly outside the gift shop.

These lilies were much prettier than the ones I saw in the large pond.  I hope you enjoyed the Children's Garden.  I'm still not sure the youngsters will, but they read my blog, so I'll let them decide based on my photos I took.

Thanks for joining me today and thanks for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  I know she'll welcome you, just as she did me several years ago.  And I will see all my Friday Smiles friends again on 4 January, 2019.




This is Day 30, I finally made all 30 days, and am sharing this with Art Every Day Month (AEDM).   I want to make a final comment about AEDM.  When I started this month, I made many of my internet friends and readers aware I was joining again this year.  Granted, I'm not suggesting I influenced anyone to join AEDM this year, but the people who consistently posted daily were ones whose blogs I follow and read on a daily basis.  Were it not for all of you, it would have been a very lonely AEDM this year.

And, as  I have done several years in the past, 

here are my 30 days of AEDM contributions for 2018.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

the children's garden looked fun, and for children of all sizes!!

johanna said...

there really is a lot of attractions! and i´m with helen... for children of all sizes!
(and i´m also thankful for not being a turkey;)) xox

Lisca said...

I agree with the above commentors, I think the kids will have fun in the children's garden. Just as you had (and you're an adult). But, as you say, let them decide after reading the blog.
You made me laugh again with your jokes, especially the one about the origins of man. (I had to read it out loud to my hubby).
And I must say your 30 day contributions are impressive. An interesting achievement. Lots of things to look at.Well done.
Have a great weekend and a good week ahead with lots of smiles,
Lisca

Valerie-Jael said...

LOvely photos of the botanical gardens. The beautiful gardens and parks here are all free, which is perhaps why I enjoy going there so often. Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

What an adventure, Elisabeth. I LOVE the musical maze... I'd have been hammering the pipes, too. What a great experience for kids. I know my granddaughter would love it, if only it were over here... the tree house is also fantastic.

I enjoyed my little trip and adventure today. Thank you for sharing with us. The end of November has crept up very quickly and I'll miss my AEDM friends, but thankfully, I'm sure I'll see you at AJJ.

Blessings

Cath x

Annie said...

I've got to say I'm sure a child of any age would love those gardens....I'm still young enough to enjoy them that's for sure and I'm just a little beyond being a child [in my head at least]. How lovely....thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

I think I would want to visit every month to see how it changed. But it could add up if I did that. It would be fantastic to see how it changes. ANd it definitely looks dryer there than here in NH. Of course it was summer, and you had said you'd gotten very little rain. I bet you can't wait for the carousel horses. Thanks too for the inspiration to join AEDM. It's been a fun month Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

What an adventure - a fantastic botanical garden Elizabeth!

I LOVE the fun with the little girl and her parents about the human race...that's awesome and I have to remember it to tell it my daughter!

Big hugs, Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

I really enjoyed the jokes this morning. It's too bad the other museums don't offer a free day, free times, or free passes from the library. I really enjoyed the walk through the children's garden. I bet the kids will love it especially being able to play the musical displays.

Meggymay said...

I don't think I have grown up at all, the Children's garden really appealed to me. I think the youngsters will love it. Those sculptures and musical maze looked awesome.
I am laughing out loud at today's funnies, The first one about the parrot id a hoot.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

This is great. I think your young people will love this next year. And I really loved the Prairie Flowers statue.

Divers and Sundry said...

I do love everything about these gardens. Depending on how close I lived to it and what the local park system was like, I think I'd seriously consider a membership. That's what I've done with our botanic gardens, and it's been well worth it. (That said, the membership was a gift.)

Sami said...

The funnies made me laugh, loved the Parrot and the "Meaning of Dreams" book joke.
The Children's garden is fabulous and so much for young and old to enjoy.
The statues are so beautiful, loved the one of the kids on the tree trunk.
Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh my! You are so lucky, what a wonderful place to visit Elizabeth. Your funnies are brilliant too, even made my hubby laugh as he particularly liked the turkey ones. Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by at mine. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Birgit said...

Love the many pictures and the pretty flowers...we had snow the other day:) The young maiden is so pretty...they should have had the sculpter do Lucille Ball's sculpture(look it up). I know I missed some of your posts but when i saw the 2 Gorillas i had to laugh because of the cute jokes

TammyVitale said...

love the musical stuff in that garden! how fun!

I am regularly reminded how lucky I am to live close to D.C. where all the museums are free for the wandering. We always have sticker shock (I grew up here) when we go elsewhere and discover we have to pay.

Great seeing you again. Looking forward to next year! Have amazing holidays!

Sharon Madson said...

Great Bontaical Garden photos! I enjoyed them even though I have seen it all many times. It is free on Senior Expo Day for seniors and care givers, and I always make sure to go. There is sometimes another free day, but I can’t remember when, or maybe just a discount day. Love all your fanstastic art pages, Elizabeth! Also, I like the “ what did the turkey do?” LOL

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love the funnies! It's a pity you won't be able to stay longer than 4 hours with the children the children's garden looks great! I would have played those pipes too! You really did some amazing art in November! I had hoped to join in this year but as you know things took a different turn! Hugs,Chrisx

Caty said...

This children´s garden is fabulous!! the dream of every child I´m sure. Love the tree house, it´s splendid. Gorgeous your 30 days Art !! Love all, you always impressed me, your Art is so Great !
Thanks so much for sharing those so beautiful photographs and moments with us.
I wish you a very nice new week, big hugs, Caty
And I ´´m sorry for coming to visit you later, sometimes, we need more hours in a day, sorry. ♥