Saturday, December 1, 2018

My favorite season


Today we have two new hosts at Art Journal Journey.   We also have two themes.  The two hosts are yours truly and the beloved Bleubeard.  You may choose My favorite season or 'Tis the season.

I got a little carried away when I sewed these 8 inch (20,32 centimeter) squares into a 16 X 16 inch (40,64 X 40,64 centimeter) journal page.

I chose a snowflake background for winter, along with a snow scene, a holiday wreath, and a sticker greeting to signify what makes me think of winter.  I sewed the cards to the substrate using variegated thread.

To signify spring, I chose a background that looked like spring was on its way.  I had saved the remains of a set of heart stickers and sewed them to the background.  I found a small heart and added it to the sheet of heart stickers.  Spring inspired ribbons, including one for St. Patrick's Day graced the piece.  The Easter image was from a container of egg and rabbit shaped pasta I purchased last year, and the flowers were part of a greeting card.  Nothing is off limits at my house!

For the summer background, I wanted to show a celebration like you might find on the 4th of July in the U.S.  I started by laying down USA ribbon, then added the three shells which I fussy cut and assembled onto a piece of heavy card weight paper.  I sewed a portion of that same heavy card stock to a beach scene I found on a greeting card.

Autumn is represented by a background of ghosts and goblins.  To that I sewed a Halloween inspired card, then added three leaves sent me by RO, some Halloween inspired ribbons and a skeleton hand I colored using water soluble crayons.

Finally, this is the overall image again.  Bleubeard and I would love to see lots of entries this month at Art Journal Journey.   I sincerely hope you will join us, choosing any season, any holiday, anything seasonal, or choosing Christmas or Hanukkah (Chanukah) as your theme.   I hope my art has given you some ideas.

Please, please be aware, we want you to join us with your altered book pages, loose pages, journal pages, or canvases.  However, we cannot accept cards or tags, and will be forced to delete them.  Digital art is always welcome.

 

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have fun! I'm off out for the day, got to rush! Valerie

chrissie said...

You've certainly covered lots of wonderful things on this creation Elizabeth. Such a happy theme to chose and great inspiration from your inventive sample.

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

Your sample and Bleubeard's and your theme all is just FANTASTIC!
I am impresses with this large page! WOW! And so much to admire on those four different parts! AMAZING dear Elizabeth! What a wonderful inspirational sample this is!
Have fun this month and please take good care of you and don't overdo yourself!♥♥♥♥♥
Happy December! Happy Art Journal Journey!
Happy Saturday!
Hugs, Susi

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fun theme! Perfect as we think about the year wrapping up and all the good things coming in the new year's seasons, as well as the holidays ahead. I love your 4 season tribute. Mother Nature suree does give us a lot of excitement in one year. Happy December! looking forward to playing along. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Your journal pages are always fun. Those are both really fun themes with loads of room to work!

kathyinozarks said...

these are just awesome and Fun! loved the sewing too
I wish I could get my weight down again that low I was 112 to 117 for years and years and loved that weight-my body is just changing on me since I passed over 67 Happy Saturday Elizabeth

CJ Kennedy said...

Your journal page of the seasons makes an awesome quilt.

Sami said...

Nice themed pages, love the Autumn one with the leaves.
Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

sheila 77 said...

These four artworks are terrific, Elizabeth, showing four reasons to celebrate. You must have spent ages making this. Of course there are two of you, although maybe Bleubeard is more on the administration side?
I like the horses in the snow, the Easter images that you squirrelled away until now. the Summer shells, the Halloween witch and everything else.
Love, Sheila

Lowcarb team member said...

I think these four look great, each season brings so many good things.
Happy December Wishes.

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fun four seasons page. I like all four seasons and always enjoy seasonal changes, so your summary of the year appeals to me :)

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth. Each piece is inspirational for your new theme and I love how you stitched them together..
You have given us lots of choice for this month, I look forward to joining in soon.
Yvonne xx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabby post with so much to see...lovely work and stitching.

kathyinozarks said...

thanks so much for letting me know you got the card-and love it too. I had fun making these-for my artists friends I sent cards similar to yours and then I made some for non artist friends-feel free to share-I mailed them friday after thanksgiving so most should have gotten them or soon. I have heard from a few people now-hugs

Cindy McMath said...

What a great way to honour all the seasons on one page - love it!

Words and Pictures said...

I love your jumbo seasonal patchwork page... what a great idea, and a lovely theme for this month too... I hope to be along often to play.
Alison x

Caty said...

Wooooowwwwww Elizabeth !! I love love love this so GORGEOUS Art page !! It´s amazing, fabulous, so so wonderrful!! The four seasons are perfecty together, for your fantastique theme over AJJ this month. love each details, images, papers, hearts, leaves, summer seals..... Stunning!! thanks so much for inspiring us.
I ´ll see what I can do.
I wish you a very nice new week, and send you big hugs, Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is a great start to your theme Elizabeth! So much to take in an definitely great inspiration! Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

It's a great theme, and I love your inspiration page Elizabeth!
Alison xx