Friday, November 9, 2018

Friday Smiles 297: a trip to the Art Museum, part 8


I’ve been offline for nearly two days.  I had no internet and no phone.  My friend Scott came by last night and linked me to AEDM using his cell phone, but couldn’t get me online.  Tonight he came by again and managed to get me online, but I still have no telephone.  Very frustrating and it put me behind visiting.  As sad as that is, it’s the only excuse I have.

Annie our host at Friday Smiles agreed to link me each week until I could get Mr. Linky working for me again. Hopefully, Scott has fixed that problem, too.  Time will tell.

As you are probably aware by now, I like to begin with a few funnies I found while cleaning my office late last year.  These things are like bunnies.  They seem to multiply while I sleep!

Here are a few more headlines that got past the editors:


War Dims Hope for Peace
If Strike Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
Enfields Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
New Vaccine May Contain Rabies
Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge

Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this past July.    

This was a special collection on display through October 18.  According to the Wichita Art Museum web site:

For ancient people, the night sky was full of stories. Looking up, people did not see balls of gas burning light years away. Instead, they saw shining pinpoints of light that formed shapes when joined together--shapes of hunters and wild beasts, sailors and ships, fair maidens and handsome heroes. Each culture brought their own stories to the various clusters of stars, and often they named them after a character or location in the story.
Around 2,000 years ago, the astronomer Ptolemy mapped and named many constellations, linking them with the Greek and Roman myths popular in his time. Constellations: Stories in the Stars explores many of the myths Ptolemy and other ancients paired with the stars. Featuring objects from the Wichita Art Museum's permanent collection, the exhibition brings the myths of the night sky to life.

Many of these myths I had never heard of.

This mixed media piece maps out the stars in our galaxy.

Unlike the 12 Constellations and 12 signs of the Zodiac in western culture, these bunnies are part of the Chinese Zodiac.

I believe this symbolizes our Leo or lion,

while the tiger is a product of the Chinese zodiac.


Not sure why I was so enamored with this rabbit, but . . . .

I was getting quite tired, so allowed the children to explore and I took a few photos and searched for a place to sit, although there was none.



I got this one,

which is the bull, one of our constellations.





Then it was time to find the last exhibit.

These may be my favorite yet.

I took this for Bleubeard

so he wouldn't feel so left out.


Can you believe this piece

was created out of scraps of wood?  It's at least six feet tall, maybe taller.




Be still my heart!

Sadly, by the time we got here,

I was so tired I couldn't get everything in a single shot.


I couldn't believe I had finally convinced the youngsters

it was time to eat and sit.

As we were about to exit, I took these photos of the underside of the Chihuly Bridge the children walked on when we first arrived

nearly six hours before.

Standing directly underneath and looking straight up, I think I like this side better than the bridge side.

And finally, I saw this on my way out.

 Thanks for joining the children and me for the final time at the art museum and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles (aka A stitch in time), where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.   Annie would love to welcome your smiling post, too.
 
I am also joining AEDM for Day 7 with photos from my trip to our local art museum and a bit of humor.

You may be tired of reading this, but I want to reiterate, if you are on Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, or G +, I will visit, but I cannot leave a comment since I'm not a member of any of those platforms. 




 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are back online. Wonderful art photos, the glass is always my fave. Have a nice Friday, Valerie

Annie said...

I’m so glad you’ve managed to sort out your internet problems. We seem to rely on it so much don’t we? I really chuckled at your funnies....even though I did have to read them a couple of times to see what some were funny....I blame my pain killers!
Hugs,
Annie x

johanna said...

you can always catch my interest with art concering myths, symbols, constellations & such... seems the art was well displayed (as far as i can see from the photos). but i also like the vibrant pieces, and of course: these glass objects are something i´d really like to see in person!
xox

chrissie said...

A wonderful collection to share with us today Elizabeth. It is amazing what people can create and what inspires us

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges--all funny but still laughing at this one :)

Love Chrissie xx

My name is Erika. said...

I enjoyed today's visit a lot. Tht painting of the chess game is really eye catching and I had to go back and look at it several time. I also like your lead off photo. Interesting way to assemble art together! Have a super day Elizabeth. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

What a fantastic collection to share with us today dear Eilzabeth! Sorry to hear about your problems! Hope you get your phone back soon again!
Such super funnies !
Thank you!
Happy Friday!
Hugs, Susi

Jeanie said...

Your Wichita art museum is really spectacular. What a clever way to build an exhibit focusing on the constellations. Some of that art is especially beautiful. And I loved that you added in something for Bleubeard, which I really liked. There are so many wonderful pieces but that Chihuly Bridge -- what a finale. It took my breath away.

CJ Kennedy said...

I really enjoyed the astronomy exhibit. Too bad the museum wasn't a little more thoughtful of providing spaces to sit. I especially loved the underside of the Chihuly bridge. Most impressive. And of course,my favorite was the cat on the window. I hope your Internet woes are behind you. Have a good weekend.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, I do hope your Internet problems are now a thing of the past. I enjoyed the funnies but, as I have a fear of crossing bridges, I found the one concerning the bridge being held up by red tape alarming. Loved all your museum photos; the cat in the portrait does look very much like Bleubeard. though surprised that there were no seats/benches for the weary to rest on. That's a very polite notice you spotted on your way out. Have a great week. Elizabeth x

Divers and Sundry said...

A place to sit is important. I enjoy spending some time in a room, and having a place to sit gives me a chance to absorb more.

I love that you spent so many posts on this museum. It looks like such a broad collection with such varied types of exhibits. I know I'd enjoy a trip there.

WendyK said...

Just love the headlines and the wonderful pictures from your visit. Some great art work to see.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I can't think how you managed to get round all this gorgeous art work in only six hours, it's so amazing. I love the sculpture made of bits of wood, it's brilliant though I love the bridge photos too well actually all of it Lol! Have a great weekend too, Angela xXx

Helen said...

you seem to lose your phone/internet quite often. it would frustrate me beyond belief! so glad we got to see the final images from the museum, especially the Chihuly bridge again (love love love) Have a great weekend.

Can't promise about the poppies tomorrow, the weather forecast is NOT good... we'll see!

Cath Wilson said...

You are so thoughtful, to share your art museum with your blogging friends - thank you. Love that hare and the underside of the bridge. Beautiful photos. You certainly get around ;-)

Cath x

Mia said...

Beautiful photos of the museum, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for sharing, my friend. Kisses!!!!!

Meggymay said...

I'm glad you are getting your latest internet problems sorted, its good that your friend is able to help when thing go wrong with the net.
I smiled at the funnies today and absolutely loved the photos. The wood sculpture looked amazing and the portrait you took of the cat was fabulous.
It have been great seeing the exhibits that caught your eye when you visited the exhibition.
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

I'm glad you got your internet problem sorted. At least for the moment. Good 'ole' Scott.
The funnies made me smile, especially the bridge being help up by red tape.
The museum is fantastic. So much variation. And it is such a good idea to base an exhibition on myths and constellations. They must have so much art in their vaults, that they have to find a theme every now and then.
Yes, I liked that bunnie too, although I think it was a hare...
So thoughtful of you that you took a picture of the chess player and the cat for Bluebeard.
But not very thoughtful of the museum that they hadn't provided somewhere to sit.
My favorite thing you showed was definitely the Chihuly bridge. Stunning!
And that toolbox schulpture is also fab.
Thank you for sharing,
Have a nice weekend,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Red tape holding up bridges..hahaha!I loved this last part of the museum! Wow! to the art underneath the bridge - looks like a wonderful outing all round! Hugs,Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So many glorious pieces to have taken in Elizabeth, I'd like to have spent a whole week there just enjoying being amongst such creativity.
Still taken aback by that glasswork, a visit that would inspire even the less creative to take pen to paper!!
Hugs for the weekend Tracey xx
P.S Sorry to have heard about your online problems :(

NatureFootstep said...

Looks like an Exhibition well deserved a visit. Would love to see it!

Lowcarb team member said...

I loved all the photographs you've shared here, thank you.

All the best Jan

Caty said...

I hope your internet problems are now solved Elizabeth !! And I want to thank you very much for this very interesting post about the museum and for sharing the beautiful photographs, they are great !
I wish you a very nice new week, big hugs, Caty