Friday, October 26, 2018

Friday Smiles 295: A trip to the Art Museum part 7


I will have to miss Friday Smiles next Friday, since I am hosting Second on the 2nd.  I will be back for Friday Smiles 297, though.

I'm so grateful to Annie our host at Friday Smiles because she has agreed to link me each week until I can get Mr. Linky working again.  Thank you Annie.  I appreciate you for taking time to do this.

As you are probably aware by now, I like to begin with a few funnies I found while cleaning my office late last year.  These things are like bunnies.  They seem to multiply while I sleep!

Here are a few headlines that got past the editors:

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case
Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
Clinton Wins on Budget, But More Lies Ahead
Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
Miners Refuse to Work After Death
Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
Stolen Painting Found by Tree
Two Sisters Reunited After 18 Years at Checkout Counter

I have more of these I'll share in two weeks.

Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this past July.   If you were here last week, you saw some pretty gruesome posters and drawings.  I felt the children needed something to lighten the mood, and I knew just where to take them!

Imagine my surprise when we walked into this room specifically designed for children.

It was Saturday, the one day of the week the museum is free.  Where were all the children?

I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, because I was SO tired of waiting for people to get out of my shots.

I laughed at this artist's interpretation of the Chihuly sculpture.  There were several of them around and the children pointed their differences out to me.

Then they saw the  image of the Eiffel Tower

and simply had to build one themselves.   There were photos, but the youngsters were all in them, so they were for family only.

To reach the next exhibit, we had to pass by this set of sculptures, which I have never understood.

There was no way to exit without setting off an alarm, so we stayed in, while I took photos through the extremely dirty glass.

It is called Dreamers Awake,

and this image grabbed off the WAM site shows the front of it and where we were standing when I took the photos above.  If you look directly above the double doors, you can see the Henry Moore statue, too.

Next up was the F. Price Cossman Gallery. 

Did you notice that CGW stands for Corning Glass Works?





Although I know absolutely NOTHING about glass, my friend Valerie has an extensive collection of her own incredible glass pieces.  From what I read, most of the pieces you see are from the Steuben Glass Works.  Steuben Glass Works was an American art glass manufacturer, founded by Frederick Carder and Thomas G. Hawkes in Corning, New York.  Many, if not most of the pieces here were designed by Carder.   Corning, the same as the glass by that name, is in Steuben County.  The Steuben company was named after this specific county, but has now been taken over by Corning Glass.

According to the Steuben web site:
For more than a century, Steuben has been internationally recognized as the benchmark of excellence in glass. The flawless brilliance of our material, renowned craftsmanship, and timeless design are without compare. Now, under the stewardship of The Corning Museum of Glass, the story of Steuben is once again available to be shared. Produced in small quantities, each item is hand-crafted to reflect the time and care committed to the achievement of elegance and quality.
I know my friend Erika has visited the Corning Glass Museum, so I wonder if she saw any Steuben glass while she was there.

Feel free to peruse these

at your convenience, as long as I get everything centered in the shot (grin).

These three pieces I did remember were designed by Carder either right before or right after he moved to the states.





I wish I'd paid closer attention to these plaques, but to be truthful, I was really getting tired.  I felt sure the youngsters would have been hungry by now, but they were still as enamored and enthusiastic as when we started out over five hours before.









I hope some of you enjoyed the glass.  Next time I'll try to wrap it up, although I may need two more weeks at this museum.

 Thanks for joining the children and me again at the museum and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles (at her blog A stitch in time), where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  

17 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

the glass is great and I smiled at the "chihuly" - I was scrolling too quick and had to go back to look again! You are dedicated at getting your shots without people in; you must have to hang around a lot; the place looked completely empty all day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely photos, I love the glass exhibits. The glass museum here is one of my fave places. Have a great day, Valerie

chrissie said...

A lovely post Elizabeth with the funny headlines as a starter.

Fascinating place to take the children to cheer them up-lots of interest there.

Wonderful photographs of the glass pieces as well

Have a really nice weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Annie said...

Gorgeous glass on show today....it wouldn’t last long in my house though. Really love the headline funnies....I really don’t think they were written in error....a bit like my post today 😉
Hugs,
Annie x

Let's Art Journal said...

Great funnies and visiting the museum was fab! There is so much to see and the glass pieces look so stunning 😀. I hope you are feeling much better! Take care and wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

My name is Erika. said...

The glassware is gorgeous. Boy this art museum has so many aspects to it that it is good. If you don't enjoy one area you can move on to the next. I also wonder why the kids room was empty. Maybe since it was summer and looks nice they were off swimming someplace. Have a great end of your week and hope you are finally starting to feel better. That must be some nasty bug you caught. Do you think you picked up the flu? Hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. Those funnies are brilliant, great start to the day. I love the ambiguous ones in particular. I studied ambiguity relating to Newspapers as part of an assignment at college and I've loved it ever since, the trouble is I am aware of it all the time which can be embarrassing when you are reading a serious document and you keep smiling at the words. When I moved on and saw the glass I got quite excited. I have a small collection myself of opalescent glass and a copy of a Tiffany lamp with gorgeous dragonflies surrounding the shade, beautiful. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Meggymay said...

I do so enjoy Friday reading your funnies, its a good way to start the day with a smile.
Wonderful photos of the exhibition again, my what a fabulous amount of glass wares on display, these were my favourites today.
It was such a shame but good for you, that no one was in the children's area of the museum.
Hope each day gets you feeling much better, take care.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Good funnies this week. Free admission and a room for kids? Where are all the children? But glad the kidlets you were with had the room all to themselves. The glass pieces are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I enjoyed the children's area-how fun for them, and I really loved the glass museum allot thanks for sharing all the photos.
I wasn't expecting a visit since you are still so ill-but I loved that you stopped by-hugs thanks for the tips on the embossing-that will wait til after we moved next year.

Divers and Sundry said...

I was curious about that huge sculpture so googled it. How interesting!

I love museums of all kinds, and this one has so much variety. The glass exhibit is beautiful.

I'm glad to hear you feel a bit better. I know you'll be glad to have this illness behind you.

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous funnies and I am in awe of this glass exhibit there! WOW!

Happy start of the weekend Elizabeth! Hope your are on the mend!
Hugs, Susi

mamapez5 said...

How sad that no children were enjoying that lovely room.
The statues were very strange, but I loved all the glass. Some of it was so pretty. I have spent a lot of time watching videos of people working with glass. It seems a very unpredictable medium, but the results can be stunning.
I did laugh at your newspaper headlines. What a silly language we have when such daft things can be said by accident! Does no-one edit anything these days? Kate x

Lisca said...

I take it you are feeling a bit better. I hope Annie’s smiles distract you from your cold.
I did chuckle at your funnies. Some of them I had to read out loud to ‘get it’ though. Like Kate, I ask myself if the editor was on holiday....
Thank you for taking me through this museum. I love glass and I drooled at the sight of so much beauty.
Not being American, I did not know the names of the companies. But the name Corning rang a bell. I have discovered I have a set of plates called Corningware, and they were imported from the states. I have had them for thirty years and I still use them everyday. I have dropped them on the floor tiles several times but they don’t break.
That fake chihuly is very recognizable. Very cleverly done though with plastic bottles. That made me smile.
I quite like the sculpture outside. I will look up more info when I finish writing this.
Have a lovely weekend and I hope you will soon be well again,
Lisca

Rita said...

Loved the fake chihuly! All the glassware was fascinating. :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love the headlines, Elizabeth. Your Friday smiles made me smile o n Saturday ;-)

What a wonderful museum! Too bad we couldn't see the Eiffel Tower that the kids built. The fine glass exhibit was fascinating. So many lovely pieces.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow ! Some of that glassware is stunning! I loved the children activity room too and those unusual looking statues outside!! Hugs, Chrisx