Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Oh what a week


My internet friend CJ has a weekly Friday Five: five things that have happened to her that week.  I thought it sounded like a good way to share a few things that happened in my world this week, while I still try to figure out why I can't link to any Mr. Linky links.

The first thing was my friend Marlynn, who some of you will remember from a swap we were in several years ago, sent me this incredible gift.  There's a lovely card, lots of great napkins, but most of all,

this book of illustrated quotes by Lesley Riley who chose all the art for the book.  There were paintings, photography, sculptures, bead work, sewing, collage, mixed media, and other art, all of which was accompanied by a quote. 

This was Marlynn's entry.  Look at that beauty.  It is pure Marlynn with the vintage pillow ticking, the lace, fabric, sewing, small embellishments, and paper.  Don't you just LOVE it?  I know I do.

I forgot to ask Marlynn if she chose the quote or Lesley did.  I know some people incorporated their quotes in their artwork.

The book is personalized, too.  Isn't it fabulous? 

She told me she has her entry hanging on a wall in her living room.  I think it's absolutely incredible.   I can't say it loud and long enough, but thank you so much, dear Marlynn.  You have no idea how this has touched me.

Next, I finally have two deckles, my wooden frames for my papermaking.  These are the first two sheets I created. 

You can tell I'm out of practice, but I'm sure I'll improve after I've done it a day or so.   This is paper pulp, and although it doesn't look it in the photo, these two sheets are orange.  Just in time to make a few Halloween inspired cards.  I use recycled paper I get in the mail, or people give me.  I sort it by color and add a few inclusions to the blender.  I'm just thrilled to be making paper again after nearly four years.

During the week I was at JoAnn's, but didn't find what I was looking for, even though I had a 40% off coupon.  As I was walking through one of the aisles, I saw this.  I have one of these containers, but it doesn't have all those beads and it certainly didn't cost $29.99 (USD).

I also got a huge surprise from my dear friend Cindy.  Look at all those incredible Canadian stamps and my postal carrier didn't mark through the stamps this time, either!  I simply adore the card she sent, with her signature bingo card and a heart like the 365 somethings she is making this year.  I adore it, Cindy.  Thank you.  Your gifts always mean so much to me.


Finally, Sally took me to Sam's, the wholesale members-only WalMart equvalent.  I needed litter for the boys, but was taken back

when I saw Halloween decorations and costumes on one side of the aisle

and Christmas decorations

on the other side of the aisle.

But that wasn't all, because there were lots of lit Christmas decorations trying to vie for the buyer's lack of willpower.

This sweet lady, a Sam's employee, not only lifted my two containers of litter into my cart, she also loaded it in Sally's car.  The least I could do was take her photo.

That's my week.  Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I are grateful you stopped by.  What was your week like?

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a good week, the gifts you got are beautiful. Kind of that lady to lift the litter for you, I know how heavy it can be. Enjoy your day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Wow-- Marlynn's hanging in this book is fantastic and so lovely to send you the book and goodies! And Cindy's beautiful card is awesome! A kind and friendly stuff member seems this lady to be, this is something that makes us happy, if we see people love their work and love other people!

Happy day my friend!
Hugs, Susi

Sami said...

Beautiful gifts Elizabeth :)
That bead container is just so fancy, never seen anything like that.
I think it's far too early for Halloween and Christmas decorations, but I've also seen them in Perth!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. You got some great mail. That book looks amazing. And I am really impressed with your paper. It looks amazing. I think you can make some cool art with it. Can't wait to see your other paper making and your projects from it. Hope it's a great middle of the week for you. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

It looks and sounds like a great week. Loved everything especially that you are making paper again! I have had the urge to blow a day or two and do that again. I love Sam's club for certain things-but ours is so far away we don't get there very often. what a sweet lady to help you
enjoy your day

RO said...

I wish I had the talent of art and creativity because you guys come up with lots of phenomenal things I never would think of. I mean they are so beautiful!!! What in the heck? There's Christmas stuff up already? Seems like it comes out earlier and earlier every year. Now the Sam's Club person has her name in lights, and hope she comes by to take a peek!!! HUGE Hugs and Happy Wednesday! RO

Nancy said...

Lovely gifts, especially the book. I'm so impressed with your paper making! And, like you, I am certainly not ready for holiday decorations yet.

Cindy McMath said...

Thanks for showing my card. Wow that book looks terrific! I will have to check it out. I don’t want to believe the holiday decor is out already but it is almost October so I get the Halloween. Not ready for Xmas though! What a lovely smile that lady has! I will catch up on your other posts over the weekend - I’m really busy at work and have evening stuff as well this week. Xx

CJ Kennedy said...

A goodie week, indeed. The Halloween and Christmas displays next to each other reminds me of the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. Kudos to the employee for great customer service.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; what a very nice gift !!! it's truly a beautiful piece !!

bleu N squiggles.....R week iz goin oh kay sew far; noe vet vizitz N we think burdz iz startin ta fly south....SEW LONG & DUE KNOT COME BAK we say !! :) ♥♥♥

Divers and Sundry said...

It's such fun looking at all the holiday decorations, no matter what holiday it is :) I'm impressed with your paper. I remember doing a bit of paper making long decades ago, but I never had any equipment of my own and didn't continue it. Yours is so beautiful and would be perfect for so many things. I'm off to google to see what's required to stick my toe back in those waters. Marlynn is right, you are an inspiration!

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth, Bleubeard and of course the fabulous and enigmatic Sqiggles.
What a great fun and happy post - five Good Things. I've been hearing about gratitude journals and this seems a good way of recording the happiness tops of the week. I loved seeing your hand-made paper, and your deckles (with your help) made some lovely pieces. Are you going to dye these papers? I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for your great comment on Orange E. today, it's good to be back.
love
Sheila

Caty said...

Woowww the gifts from your friends are wonderful Elizabeth !! I´m sure you will enjoy them. the boof from Marlynn may be fabulous, love her entry, really great !! Really love the sheets of handmade paper, they look so beautiful, I´ve never made this paper, but.... perhaps one day.. :)
This beads container is so so lovely!! and the bingo card is fabulous, as welle as the postal stamps.
Here the shops will prepare Halloween and Christmas articles in two weeks maximum, the sales of these products are earlier every year. This week I´m very busy preparing clothes for autumn and winter, nevertheles, I do it slowly because of the weather, still very hot.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugss, Caty

Meggymay said...

Gosh you received some wonderful Happy Mail this week, The book of quotes looks fabulous.
Your hand made paper looks super. I wonder what you will be creating when you start to use it.
I am pleased I am not the only one to have been confronted with Christmas products recently. It seems to get earlier and earlier each year.
Halloween is also getting more popular here and I did notice larger stores selling items for this festival as well, although it is not as popular here as it is in other countries.
Yvonne xx

Sharon Madson said...

Nice post. I have a little notebook that I am to list five things I am thankful for everyday. It is part of our ladies Bible Study.. I can think of more than 5 everyday, but I am bad about not writing them down! I am thankful this week in particular for the lovely weather we are having!
It has been so nice, as in not hot! Hubby even walked with me a couple of times this week. I am thankful we are both healthy enough to do that at ou age! Yesterday my husband greeted me first thing in the morning with “ 3 more months and it will be Christmas!”
Tomorrow we are going to the seniors health fair. So thankful for that. That is our week Elizabeth.

Rita said...

What great gifts!! You will treasure them.
Christmas decorations! It isn't even October yet!! That is just crazy.

Jeanie said...

What fabulous gifts! Leslie Riley is one of my favorites -- I love everything I've ever seen her do and this book is a real treasure. And your papers are terrific. Wow -- I am seriously impressed with it all.

Except the Christmas stuff out already. Not impressed with that! I could wait a little longer on that one!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What fabulous post you received this week! How wonderful that Marlynn added her own personal touch for you! We have seen two places while away that have Christmas items on display - in fact one of them had a whole Christmas Cabin in the carpark! I must confess though to buying some Christmas decorations while in Prague! Hugs, Chrisx

Jackie PN said...

What wonderful mail you received Elizabeth!! I have always meant to get that same book of Lesley's for myself- My good friend Darlene Campbell is also in there- look her up!She is my first ever online friend!
I know what you mean about the decorations- it is really quite sad how we push along our lives,from one holiday to the next through consumers! Before you know it, the swimsuits will be back on the shelves!
Great fun post!
Jackie ")

ps,you are one of my very first inspiration blogs I ever visited, if not, the first! thought you should know! xo