Sunday, August 26, 2018

Another trip along the Danube


I'm sure by now you know that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month. My theme is Count your blessings.  Today I'm once again playing armchair traveler, yet feel blessed that I could actually take the trip to Austria if I so desired.

Today I'm headed to Atzenbrugg

where we will play golf at the world famous Diamond Country Club.  This 18-hole golf course is rated moderate to hard, because there are lakes and man-made rolling hills the golfer must navigate.  There is also a 9-hole course for beginners.  Bleubeard suggested we start there.  However, when Bleubeard learned that dogs were permitted as long as they were on a leash, he decided this didn't sound all that interesting.

Atzenbrugg is about 25 miles (40 km) west of Vienna.  It is about nine miles (14 km) from the Danube.

Next we head to Linz, another city that sits on the Danube.  Linz is about 19 miles (30 km) south of the Czech border.  From pictures I have found on the internet, I believe these are taken near the trinity column in the main square.  Part of the ornamental trinity column can be seen in the lower picture.

Today Bleubeard and I counted our blessings and traveled by armchair to play golf in Atzenbrugg, then traveled on the Danube to Linz.  Linz has a very interesting history, and it has won awards for its work to remove anything related to the Nazi regime.

For this page, I started with a used file folder, then sewed three images I found in travel magazines.   I used water soluble crayons to color the computer generated text, then sewed them to the page using variegated thread.  Finally, I added the heart button using E6000.  

The incredibly popular Bleubeard, my adorable co-host and I are thrilled you joined us today as we have once again taken an armchair trip to Austria and know how blessed we are to be able to do this.  We are also sharing this blessing at Art Journal Journey

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page. Austria has some pretty places, I used to go to Seefeld in Tyrol for my holidays nearly every year when I was still teaching. Have a fun day, Valerie

Helen said...

what a busy day you and Bleubeard had!

they are called Canada Geese here too, although we get lots of Barnacle Geese too which look very similar and I am not expert enough to know the difference. I suspect they are Canada Geese.

froebelsternchen said...

Elizabeth!
I can't believe it. Linz - o.k. it is one of our little Austrian metropolises -lol. It takes me nearly the same time to drive to Linz as to drive to Vienna . I always take Vienna, but the most people here where I live prefer to go to Linz. Both Linz and Vienna has an Ikea or that big Primark where young folk gets their super cheap wardrobe they are all so fond of.
When I visit my birth father ( you remember he was in Linz in hospital last year with the brain blooding) I have to travel via Linz.
But Atzenbrugg!
You must know my first late hubby and I had a little garden where we stored our boat in winter in Atzenbrugg.
I sold the garden in 2000 and wasn't there since then.
Atzenbrugg was just a little village with no special meaning at those times.
But I guess since they have this amazing golf course they got popular ----wow! I must admit I didn't know about that all as I am not so intereted in golf at all.
You brought a very big smile on my face and well, again lovely memories for me!!!!!
This page is so beautiful and I am happy you have chosen to create and show Austria pages for your 7 Continents altered book. AMAZING!!!!
I got your message and you are right with what you wrote about
showing the area where we live. I promise I will take it to heart!
Happy Sunday dear Elizabeth!
Thank you for showing this wonderful page!
Hugs, Susi

Caty said...

Wooooww Elizabeth, this Art page is absolutely wonderful !! I did not know Linz neither Atzenbrugg, and I'm so happy to be one of your armchair traveler follower to Austria !! : D Wonderful and very interesting places, The golf course photograph is fabulous, You can play golf if you want, and I'd rather stay with Bleubeard, enjoying a yummy ice-cream !! Great page !!
You are now an expert in sewing !! This red heart is gorgeous!
I wish you a very nice day, big hugss, Caty

kathyinozarks said...

thank you much for the link to the blog with movies-seems several people are doing that
another lovely trip page Happy Sunday

Gibby Frogett said...

Beautiful and interesting page Elizabeth - armchair travels are great for getting to places quickly without travelling probs too :)
Loved all the stitching work as always!
I am currently in Belgium at the Formuala 1 race courtesy of my armchair ha ha
Happy Sunday... Gill x

My name is Erika. said...

I'm not a golfer but I'd still like to see Austria. Those mountains look beautiful. I need to look up LInz. It is also interesting to read what Susi said since is a citizen of Austria. One day maybe I will get there. :) Thanks for taking us on this armchair travel trip.It's fun to do and I do a lot of it. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed watching you play golf ;) and that course does look lovely, especially as you present it. A trip along the Danube sounds delightful :)

CJ Kennedy said...

A perfect tour for a Sunday morning and the weather, here, is perfect for a stroll. I'm with Bluebeard. Not interested being around dogs on or off leash.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I really enjoyed learning the information you shared about Linz. As always, I enjoyed your pictures and samples of your art. These travelogues are especially nice, as I love learning about other places.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your journal page is fabulous! I have only heard of Linz (I wonder if it is where Linzer Torte was invented?)
I'm not so sure about playing golf but I would love to walk around the course if they would ban golfers for the day!! You have go me into the holiday mood although we have a lot to do before then! I am having a catch up day and have finally caught up here - and left you a few comments too if you are up to going back a few posts!!! Hugs, Chrisxx

Meggymay said...

Another beautiful armchair travel page , it looks so inviting especially as we are in the middle of a rain storm here.
You make a great travel guide.
Yvonne xx

Sandra Cox said...

I enjoyed traveling via armchair right along with you and Bleubeard;)

Cindy McMath said...

Another lovely page! Austria was a place I thought about visiting when I was in London, but didn’t get there. I am still happy with my choices though. Oh I wanted to mention the German scrap stars - I actually found some on Etsy or somewhere a few years ago that replenished my supply! So yes I’ve been hoarding them, but also I did find some more. :) I can see that Bleubeard needs an adults & cats only resort. No dogs allowed! Can’t say I blame him.

Birgit said...

This is a wonderful memory page of your trip on the Danube. I took a couple of trips on the Danube many years ago and it was fun to say the least.

Rita said...

All my traveling anymore is armchair. Nice choice. I knew nothing about this town. :)

kathyinozarks said...

yes I am definately going to work at posting for T day for sure-hugs

Jeannette said...

wow,love your austria page,its wonderful you had fun in austria,long years ago,iam make my travel in austria,the lakes there is beautiful,for swimming cold.
happy new week,dear elizabeth.


hugs jenny

Jeanie said...

What a fun journey here, Elizabeth! Each image makes me want to add Austria to my list more and more!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What an informative and fun trip to Austria you gave us, Elizabeth. Bleubeard as charming - as always ;-)