Wednesday, July 25, 2018

What's On Your Workdesk this 477th Wednesday: a quiltlet by any other name is still . . .


I hope Julia at Stamping Ground, our fearless leader of all things desks, isn't too upset, but so many of you wanted to see the quiltlet I was making (and reworking), I simply had to take lots of photos.  The recipient has now received it, and I can show it.

This is the front. It went together rather semi-easily, although I only had a small piece of the Oriental fabric.

I'm not a stamper, and it took three tries to get the first stamp acceptable.  Although I told the recipient I stamped on the same fabric as the back, I actually stamped these on rust dyed fabric.

The lace is hand dyed turmeric.  My friend had just returned from a school trip to Japan and on one of her blog posts, she used some oriental coins.  I remembered I had two, also, and to balance it out, I used a glass oriental bead that reminded me of bamboo.

With such a small amount of lovely oriental fabric, I didn't want to cover the images.  That's why I pieced the fabrics together.  Although the front is a bit disjointed, I was eventually happy with it.

I wanted to send this piece first class, so instead of adding a wooden or heavy cardboard piece to keep the top flat and the quiltlet from buckling, I added two tabs on which the quiltlet can be hung.

This is the nightmare side.  I ripped out and retried, ripped out and retried, and finally realized no matter what I did, my sewing skills were simply not up to par.  Although the third time was not a charm, it was as good as the back was going to get.

This fabric reminded me of Chinese/oriental lanterns.  The black and gray words are from a book on Japan. Paper and fabric constituted the back of this piece.

I had a tiny piece of the front Geisha girl fabric left over and placed it somewhere that I would know where it was.  When I went to use it, I couldn't find it.  I didn't give up looking even after the two sides were in place.  That's why the red burlap looks unfinished.

This is more paper from the book on Japan I used.

I can truthfully say this is the first time I've been pleased with the "handmade by" stamp with Bleubeard's and my signatures.

Now most people would try to hide their mistakes, but there was simply no way to hide this ugly shift in the fabric and foamy batting.  BTW, that is some of my eco-dyed fabric that I had originally intended to overdye.  When I realized I needed a whole cloth for the back, I didn't have time to redye it.

Because I had no idea when my friend would receive her gift,

here is the obligatory rocking horse most of you really came to see.  It's wind chimes and I love it. It was a Christmas gift from my shopaholic friend Kathy who is holding it.  Of course, I'm sure you can see a few more in the background, too.

My Wednesday posts will be on hiatus until September, so this will be my final WOYWW post until then.  I'll see you back here at my desk the first week in September.   Thanks for visiting, and if you are coming from Julia's please leave your number.  However, I have encountered a couple of deskers who are only on Instagram, of which I'm not a member.  I'll visit, but can't leave comments. 

49 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The quiltlet is beautiful, and I know how much Erika loved it. Have a nice day, Valerie

Claire said...

Ooh, I love all the photos, and such beautiful fabrics! Lovely to 'see' you again, Elizabeth :) x
Happy WOYWW
no. 2 (you just pipped me!)

Helen said...

Despite your trials with the sewing, the quiltlet turned out great. See you in September (here) although I am sure you'll be posting other things. Thanks for the visit already. Helen #4

Neet said...

Well, at last it is finished and I am so in love with that Japanese fabric. How lucky you were to get it and I must be honest, I could not have parted with it. The addition of the coins is great and the 'jade look' bead fits in perfectly there in the centre. Great idea to use those different pieces of fabric and paper and I love your 'made by' stamp!
Also your rocking horse chimes!!
Hugs, Neet 3 xx
ps don't forget the chin tickles please xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Now I know what a quiltlet is.. it's a small fabric hanging..?? This is a marvellous oriental creation Elizabeth with it's sewn layers. Everything flows so gracefully with those coins being a fabulous addition.
I sew scraps together that I just can not throw away & they soon grow, they'd be perfect to recreate something just like this.
I'm so glad you shared. I love it so much.
Happy WOYWW Tracey xx
P.S Nice to see that Rocking Horse and the peep of the ones in the background.

Anne said...

Hello and thanks for sharing the finished quiltlet. A unique and wonderful piece of work, a very special gift. Love the rocking horse as well. 'See you in September' Anne x 9

Anne said...

Hello and thanks for sharing the finished quiltlet. A unique and wonderful piece of work, a very special gift. Love the rocking horse as well. 'See you in September' Anne x 9

Lillianb said...

Loving your work its so clever, The quilt is stunning and thanks for shraring it,

Lilian B #10

Sarah Brennan said...

Thank you so much for sharing the finished quiltlet Elizabeth. The time and effort that went into it is so thoughtful and loving and I'm sure your friend really appreciated it. I like the hand dyed fabric on the back even if you wanted to over dye it. The way you worked with the oriental fabric is beautiful and those coins and bead were the perfect finishing touch. Have a good break; see you again in September. Sarah #15

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That's gorgeous Elizabeth. Who ever receives is going to be well pleased. Hope you have a lovely woyww and a great week, Angela x17x

Diana Taylor said...

What a gorgeous quiltlet - I love the oriental fabric you used, I'm not sure I'd be able to part with it! The jade bead is exquisite and just brings it all together - I love it!
Look forward to seeing you in September, hope you have an enjoyable break,
Diana x #16

glitterandglue said...

Morning Elizabeth. Well done on taking so many photos of your little quiltlet! They will be a great reminder of something special you have made and are so obviously really pleased with. Good work. Cute little rocking horse, too. Enjoy your hiatus!!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #5

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I like the different fabrics, dyes and textures you used on the quiltlet - it works really well. The little beads and other touches are so complementary to the whole design, well done! Enjoy your break x
Hugs LLJ 11 xx

Christine said...

What a beautiful work of art.... don't put yourself down, the stitching adds to the artistry.
have a good break
Christine #19

Marit said...

All handmade things are precious so don't call it a failure Elizabeth, I LOVE IT, the back too!!! Enjoy your 'month off' break! Warm (!) hug from Holland, Marit #21

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, hugs to Bleubeard. That quiltlet is gorgeous, such lovely fabric and so much detail.It will be a much loved treasure, I'm sure. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 XxX

Julia Dunnit said...

Took e while to work out why you werent happy with the back of the quiltlet! I think nothing says handmade with love like a little wrinkle! I love the oriental themes and additions, I agree very much about the fabric that looks like paper lanterns, pretty too! Hope your AFK break is a lovely one, have you got masses of plans I wonder! Look forward to seeing you back here as the season turns. X

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

#22 before I forget. but it could change..when I started this early A.M. Claire was #1 and now you are Congrats! So excited to see this beautiful layered quiltlet..It truly is a work of art. Thanks for sharing it. Truly a "Little Treasure". Enjoy your break Also a sweet wind chime.

froebelsternchen said...

I have fallen in love with this amazing quiltlet ever since I saw it at Erika's blog recently! It's simply adorable and fabric art at its finest dear Elizabeht - no mistake to see!
And I love the cute rocking horse as well!
Happy Wednesday my freind!
Hugs, Susi
You commented that I made so much this month! But I feel I made nothing..... life is in the way here ... not enought art- and computer time for me- really!
Liyongo has had a big surgery on Tuesday - we are so happy to still have him - he had a bad splenic tumor of 12 cm , but fortunately this tumor hadn't begun a cycle in his body- so it all looks fantastic so far and he is on the way to recover and already at home with us. We are just sooo happy!

Hugs, Susi

Annie said...

Well done you for completing the quiltlet and thank you for sharing the photos. You have put so much love into it that I’m certain it will be treasured.
I hope you enjoy the next few weeks and will look forward to catching up again in September.
Hugs,
Annie x #14

Sharon Madson said...

You are here this week! And # 1, too! I can just say at least I made it on Wednesday instead of Thursday! And I am glad I did so I could see your wonderful quiltlet! It is gorgeous, and I imagine your friend treasures it! What wonderful creativity you have. Your rocking horse is a delight! Happy WOYWW! #25

Jeanie said...

I saw this on Erika's and if you read the comments you know how impressed I was. It looks absolutely terrific, Elizabeth. Thoughtfully designed and arranged, especially given her trip. I loved the colors and textures and thought it worked so well. What a wonderful gift!

Nancy said...

You combined your materials in such a terrific way- and all around the theme. So fortunate you remembered you had the coins. The image fabric is quite inpiring, and you did well putting everything together. Well done!

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely quiltlet! I didn’t see any mistakes, just a beautiful handmade art piece.

Divers and Sundry said...

Pretty quiltlet, and I love how well you designed it (and you're being too hard on yourself about the back side, you know). It's so suitable because of her recent trip, but the style and subject are attractive even to people like me who've never been to Japan. Sweet!

My name is Erika. said...

That gorgeous quilt looks familiar. :) I have cleaned out a studio spot to hang it, and it will go up once the cleaning project is complete. Or complete enough I can put things back into their places. :) I loved reading about it again and all the work this quilt took. It is a showstopper!!!!! Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Elizabeth Your quiltlet is amazing and I just adore it!!! Love everything you have done with this art fabric piece-I am sure she just loves it too.
I enjoy seeing your rocking horses-fun collection
Happy Wednesday Kathy

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Your quilt is simply beautiful! Happy WOYWW!

Caro said...

The quiltlet is stunning! Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week. Love Caro x (#20)

StampinCarol said...

Your quiltlet is beautiful! Very eclectic to me.
Love your little rocking horse wind chime, too cute for outside!
Have a great week!
Carol N #26

Lindart said...

Your quiltlet looks awesome! I think your friend will love it. All Amish quilts have mistakes (on purpose) you can say it was "Amish inspired"! I will miss you and Bleubeard and look forward to your return in September! Lindart #32

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, your quiltlet wallhanging is beautiful - I'm sure it is going to be treasured by the recipient. We are all our worst critics but I think you have been really hard on yourself. I'm sure Bleubeard wouldn't agree with you at all. Meow to him and enjoy the rest of the summer - see you in September. Elizabeth x #24

PS: I have the same trouble with Instagrammers!

Sue said...

Hi Elizabeth, WOW, that quiltlet is lovely.

I love your made by stamp with yours and Bluebeards signatures.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #8



Dianne said...

Fabulous quiltlet dear friend! love the oriental fabric and coins especially! ♥ ♥ ♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a really neat piece Elizabeth; I know the receiver of your gift
is going to enjoy this !! very nice ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

Your quilt is beautiful and I know the recipient loved it.
It is a lovely wind chime rocking horse and the ones in the background looked super as well.
Yvonne xx

Frayed Round The Edges said...

What a clever idea the mini quilt is . Karen #23

CJ Kennedy said...

The quiltlet is lovely and I'm sure will be well received. The yellow lace really gives a pop of color and I like the addition of the coins. I also love the fabric/paper that looks like Japanese lanterns as well as your made my hand and paw stamp. so cute.

Suzanne Alexis said...

Your quiltlet is so cool and exotic looking. I really like your collection of rocking horses. Thanks for visiting me. Have a great week!

Suzanne #37

aussie aNNie said...

WOW LOVE any thing that has Oriental on it and this is gorgeous..

Cheetarah said...

Why would be upset seeing such fantastic artwork?! what an amazing quiltlet and love the theme you chose to make it in! Thanks for your visit earlier to my blog! Happy rest of the week! xo Cheetarah WOYWW#28

Mrs.D said...

Hi Elizabeth, what a lovely gift, that quilt is very special, I am sure she will treasure it.
Thanks for visiting my desk, I am determined to reduce the Christmas stash this year, will try to share some next week.
Chris #18

Stacy Sheldon said...

HI Elizabeth, I love all the different stitches with the contrasting threads in those shots. It looks very inviting to the touch :) ~Stacy #31

Shoshi said...

Your little quilt is lovely, Elizabeth, and I do love all things Oriental - your fabrics are so beautiful. As for the little rocking horse, what a darling! Just gorgeous. Thank you for your comment and I'm glad you approve of my cooking and my "don't throw it away" mentality lol! Glad you enjoyed the kitties too.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #38

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, the quiltlet is stunning! I'm in awe of how you put it together and the fabrics and embellishments are perfect for the Japanese look and feel - I love it 😁. I'm sure Erika adores it too, that was so thoughtful of you! Wishing you a wonderful day! J 😊 x

Annie Claxton said...

HI Elizabeth, what a GORGEOUS quiltlet! I especially love the turmeric-dyed lace against the Japanese fabric, really beautiful. Annie C #10

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

What a fantastic project! I love everything Chinese inspired! I thought it was a cloth book at first - it could easily be turned into a textile journal! Just beautiful! Happy Sunday! zsuzsa #12

Jackie PN said...

OMGorgeousness Elizabeth!! That quiltlet is absolutely amazing!
I love the simplicity and organicness of it! Your talents really do know no bounds-
Each element you have added brings that much more to this. I am so happy you have shared this!
Have a peaceful Sunday!
Jackie xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is the most wonderful quiltlet and I am sure that 'mutual' friend of ours will love it! I have been thwarted several times while we have been away - the connection seemed to wait until I got to your blog to go on strike! Hugs, Chrisx