Thursday, March 8, 2018

Second Thursday Tutorial: Comparing watercolor pencils to watercolor crayons


The second Thursday came early this month, but I was able to create a short tutorial where I make some comparisons.

I began by taking a photo of the image I planned to color.

I also scanned the same image.

Next, I scanned the image I colored using watercolor crayons

and the image I colored using watercolor pencils.

Somehow, I didn't think the scans did the images justice, so I took a few photos, too.

I colored one using walnut ink, just to see how the image would look as a vintage inspired print.  My friend Kathy gave this to me several years ago, and I don't use it often, because it is so expensive.

I am opinionated.  I LOVE these watercolor crayons my friend Cindy gave me for Christmas last year (2016).  I use them for lots of challenge entries.

I found these watercolor pencils while looking for something else awhile back.  None had ever been sharpened, and I really like them, partly because there are so many different colors.

There is a HUGE difference after the water was added to the two different images.  For one thing, the watercolor crayons on the left are far more vibrant and blend better.  However, I had more choices of colors using the watercolor pencils on the right. 

I added water using a water brush for the larger areas and my new tiny brush I recently purchased for the thin lines.


I'll let you decide which you prefer, but I'm sticking with my beloved watercolor crayons, PERIOD!

Thank you for joining me for my second Thursday tutorial.  Once this goes live, it will be on my tutorials page.

And because this is inspired by spring, I'm also sharing it with Art Journal Journey where Rosie at Rosie's Kleine Bastelwelt (Rosie's Small Craft World), this month's host, has chosen Spring as the theme.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you have found a medium that you like working with. Have a fun day, Valerie

Helen said...

I agree. I get very disappointing results with watercolour pencils, I have a small tin of a more expensive brand which are better but my high street store ones are poor. It may be the way I use them of course, but I'm blaming the tools as always!!

froebelsternchen said...

I think both images are wonderful now and make amazing cards or collage elements.
I mostly use either watercolour crayons or watercolour pencils just by taking the colour of them wirth my waterbrush like I would normally do watercolour paintings.
What I really can recommend is to spray a rubberstamp with water and rub then the watersoluble crayon on the image - different colours at one time or just one colour - it also warks with the watersoluble pencils--that are the most beautiful imprints ever!
I love your PRIMAVERA pages dear Dr.E.!
WOnderful for the Spring collection at Art Journal Journey!
Happy day Ms. Co-Admin!
Love from
Susi

froebelsternchen said...

sorry for the mistakes - I got some day care cream into my eyes - and are nearly blind just now-lol!

Rosie said...

This is fatastic artwork, Elisabeth, I like both.

Thank you for playing with us at ART JOURNAL JOURNEY

Rike said...

Now this tutorial was very interesting for me, because I draw very much with pencils and crayons! I like the pencils for fine details and the crayons for bright colors! It is always stunning how water makes both more bright, but the crayons win :)
I often use both in my drawings.
Thanks a lot for this tutorial! And I love this image you used for your beautiful coloring!
Wish you a happy rest of the week!
Rike xx

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed this tutorial, I was not familiar with the water color crayons and wow I would be interested in the walnut ink-although we have so many walnuts here I could try making some --or not lol
are you interested in a couple of my cornhusks papers-I would love to share with you as I had ended up with quite a few sheets-these defintely have textures and most do not lie real flat.if so I have a contact on my page. sometime this year I want to make another batch a different way so I will have even more

craftytrog said...

Both are great Elizabeth, but I agree with you. I love the vibrancy of the crayons.
Thanks for the tutorial,
Alison x

Meggymay said...

A fantastic post with your comparisons of the two types of colouring products.
Yes the crayons have a more vibrant colour, but to me both your pieces look lovely.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Oh I like them both, but I agree - the watercolour crayong give a more vibrant look that I prefer. Lovely image you used as well - it definitely works for the Spring theme.

Jeanie said...

I like them both but in different ways. Certainly the crayons are more vibrant and if they blend well -- seems they do -- perfect for many things. Other times you may want a softer look. Certainly the pencils and a water brush would be an easier thing to take on the field to travel with, I would think. Do they both work on all kinds of papers? Some might work better on one than another. Either way, I think you can't lose and hope you incorporate both, depending on your theme! Nice post.

CJ Kennedy said...

Both media just give different results. The watercolor crayons are more vibrant and remind me of gouache (opaque watercolors) The watercolor pencils are more transparent like regular watercolors. I like them both.

Sandra Cox said...

I didn't know there were water color pencils and crayons. I'm going to have to check that out.
I loved this piece in all variations. Maybe the crayons the best.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I don't have these brands but love both my crayons and pencils - you are now making me want to compare! I like to scribble onto a piece of acetate and pick up the colour with my water brush. I love the image you coloured and seeing what you thought of your brands! Hugs, Chrisx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; I like image two; I prefer blue and the shades of; though green as well, but the blue stand out a bit more. nice works!!! ☺☺♥♥

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen watercolor pencils or crayons. What little art I do with watercolors has been with those little sets of paint blocks. The colors you got with those crayons are wonderful!

My name is Erika. said...

Those aquarelle are nice watercolor crayons. I think the colored pencils work well on small spots, but I am definitely more a crayon girl. :) I like the piece you found to show us today, and I like your coloring. If you gesso the paper before you put your image on it, and then color it with watercolor crayons, and then use a brush with water, you can use a baby wipe and rub off some of the crayon which makes a cool background effect. But I am sure you know that because seems everyone knows more about art technique than I. :) Hope it's been a great day. We have lots of snow. :( Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Yes, I really like the Lyra crayons! Nice testing. :)

WendyK said...

A great tutorial, I love my watercolour crayons and my favourite are the Derwent Intense as they are highly pigmented, as they are ink based. A fabulous page for AJJ>

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, told you I'd be back to read the funnies and they are brilliant! but as I have already left you a comment above I thought I'd have a look what you've been up to earlier in the week. Loving the tutorial. I often use watercolour pencils but in a different way as I use them in the same way that I would use the pans taking the colour from the pencil with a paint brush, it just works for me and they are easy to carry when travelling. Have a brilliant weekend, Angela xXx

chrissie said...

Both look terrific Elizabeth and so good that you thought to compare them. Thank you for doing it

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Marfi-topia said...

I love using water color crayons more than the pencils. They seem so much brighter to me.
I like how the walnut stain looks too..I think if you went over the flowers again with a black marker or black fabric paint it would pop.
beautiful work, as usual
:X