Friday, December 18, 2015

Christmas tip-ins


Now that the final tip-in has been delivered, I can show my Christmas tip-ins.  I only sent eight this year, and after I created them, I wasn't sure I even wanted to send them.

For the backgrounds and the green layer you see behind the snowflakes, I started with card stock that I colored using Staz-on reinkers and 91% rubbing alcohol.  I love this technique because the substrate never, ever, ever curls, but always lays flat.

The next layer was an old telephone page, then snowflake tissue paper.  The layer after that was another green ink and alcohol layer.  Over that were more tissue paper snowflakes, then an embellishment.  I only had 8 embellishments, so had to limit the number of people I sent tip-ins to.

Each embellishment was a bit different.  I have no idea why these tip-ins curled, because I've never had one curl before, especially when using the ink/alcohol background.  But curl they did. 

The good news seems to be that the one that got lost in the mail managed to flatten itself out while on route.

I hope the others managed to heal themselves, too!

Because there are snowflakes on these tip-ins, I'm entering them in the Try it on Tuesday (or TioT) latest challenge, which is Snow, Snowflakes-Winter whites.

I do love birds, especially cardinals!

In the past, I have always run the card stock through my printer and printed the pertinent information about the yearly tip-in.  Unfortunately, after I spent all that time creating the background in my word processing program, the first one I ran through the printer stopped printing.  I was out of ink.  It was late, and I wanted to get them in the mail, so I did the unthinkable (at least for me) and stamped everything.

One lucky recipient will get this.  Sorry, I have no idea who the lucky person was.  The thing is, I used a "cushion" to stamp on, then realized after I had stamped most of the trees, that the "cushion" had a hump in it.  That meant the stamp wasn't hitting everywhere it should have.  I may not be a stamper, but I know how to analyze a problem.    So, here are my rather sad, poorly stamped, but sent with love, 13th annual Christmas 2015 tip-ins.

On an even brighter note

Bleubeard and I were sent this box of goodies yesterday.  Just look at all those lovely postage stamps.

From the very beginning I could tell the contents of this box was made with love.

Normally I record the contents of envelopes (or boxes) as I open them.  This year has been different, though.  This wonderful box, filled with LOVE, was sent to me by no other than Valerie at Bastelmania.  If you have never seen her blog, you are in for a treat.  Valerie lives in Germany and she is not only an excellent mixed media artist, she is also a fantastic sketcher, painter, and colorist.  Oh, and have I mentioned, she take photos that are out of this world.  That calendar page is just one of 12 that show her photography skills.

In the back are two stamps.  I don't know what to call them, because they aren't rubber, but more like foam erasers that hold harder stamp material.  I may not know what to call them, but I know I'll be using them.

Look at all the lovely napkins.  Aren't they adorable?  I realize you can't really see them, but take my word for it.  They are yummy!  There are also lovely flowers and some gorgeous ribbon that is made in Germany.

Three very special gifts (besides the gorgeous calendar) are the lovely art Valerie made from various layers, including corrugated cardboard.  The image she used is wonderful, and very appropriate for this time of year.  There's also a lovely tag that I didn't recognize until I got ready to photograph it.  It was one I swooned over on her blog that honored the recent Paris attacks with the words Peace and Shalom.  And Bleubeard gives two paws up to the lovely key chain that shows the very essence of Squiggles on one side playing with a ball of string that spells out I Heart Cats on the other side.

Here's a close-up of the calendar

and one of the other simply incredible gifts Valerie sent me.  I can't believe how lucky I am.  I told her I felt like a queen when I opened this box of wonderful gifts!  I can't say it enough, how fortunate I am to have wonderful friends, new like Valerie, and long time, who I've met on the internet.  Thanks again Valerie.

And thanks to everyone who reads my blog, whether you comment or not.  Your visit is very important to me.  Before I forget, please be sure to visit Try it on Tuesday to see the fabulous art created for their latest challenge that includes snowflakes.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you like your box, I asked the man at the post office to stick on nice stamps, and he did. The 'rubber' stamps are from LaBlanche, they are lightweight, easy to hold and use. Have fun with your bits and bobs. The little girl on the cardboard piece is Erika, a distant relation who I cared for in her last years here. Love all your tip ins, your work always has a lot of character. lOVE ALL THE LAYERS: Thanks for linking your beautiful snowflakes to us at TIOT, too. Have a great day, and thanks for the shout out! Hugs, Valerie

ionabunny said...

OK, I don't know what a tip in is. What a lovely box of goodies. Love LaBlanche stamps. They are silicone and heat resistant so great for stamping into hot embossing powder. Hugz

Nan G said...

I too think your tip-ins look wonderful! Aahhh the mysterious ways of paper. Sometimes it curls and then straightens itself out...go figure. Love all of the gorgeous goodies you received in the box. Gorgeous calendar for sure and you'll love those Lablanche stamps. I hear they're fab to stamp with. Hugs to all from me and the girls

Craftymoose Crafts said...

You know I am already a fan of incredibly talented and generous Valerie--can't wait to see how you use some of these goodies!

Divers and Sundry said...

You apologize for better work than I will ever do lol! I think your pages turned out quite well. :)

froebelsternchen said...

Your tip-ins are gorgeous - I am in love with all the layers and the wonderful colors you used.... amazing!
Oh my gosh --- I see that Valerie sent you a package full of art and love - she is such a fantastic artist and a wonderful person. Have fun with your goodies - those special stamps are gorgeous - they print on so easely - you will like them!
I feel with you about your dilemma with the washing machine!
But super that you managed to fix the problem!
Have a happy weekend dear Elizabeth!
oxo
Susi

froebelsternchen said...

And ♥♥♥
THANKS A LOT FOR BEING WITH US AGAIN AT

Try It On Tuesday!

Helen said...

what a fabulous gift! Do you not keep your gifts to open for Christmas, though?

Meggymay said...

I have read about something new here today, I have never heard about a 'tip -in', however all these ones you have made look fantastic. Thank you for sharing them with us at TioT's as well.
Enjoy your goodies from Valerie.
Yvonne xx

Margik said...

Fantastic Christmas projects! Love the colors and cute images.
A fabulous box of goodies from Valerie!

Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.
Mar xx

Rita said...

I am not sure what a tip in is? Is that to be used in a journal and taped into it with washi tape? That's what I have seen called tip ins on videos. Pretty. I am almost out of ink in my printer, too.

What wonderful gifts! I have three stamps on that foam-like stuff. I love that tree stamp she sent you--gorgeous! Enjoy!! :) Have a wonderful weekend.

voodoo vixen said...

I love my tip-in and am sorry it held up your reveal for so darn long! What some fabby things you have in your gorgeous box of goodies from Valerie, love the cat on a squiggle and the calendar is divine! I have a couple of those stamps and they are easy to hold... should be a bonus for you with your arthritic fingers E!!!

dawn said...

Hello Elizabeth! How pretty your Christmas tip-ins came out, really love them!!! The stamping looks good to me also, whoever gets these will be so happy and pleased.

WOW, the box was filled perfectly for you, everything is wonderful and gorgeous, the calendar especially!!! Enjoy it all friend :)

We woke up to snow today, YAY for Sam and the kids as we start break now too. Hard to believe it was so warm just a week ago. It won't last though, rain and sun are in the forecast next week.
Hope you are doing well ands staying warm. Can't believe another year is almost over. Take care and Merry Christmas early if I don't see you before then. HUGS!

Halle said...

What a lovely box of goodies!
I really liked the layering on your tip-in. I have to remember to use tissue paper more. I always love the look of it when layered. I don't know why I haven't used it more. :)

sheila 77 said...

I haven't come across tip-ins before, (and Mr. Google didn't seem to know either) but your eight look pretty good to me. I thought at first the printed background was an under-paper but now think it is a part of the tip-in and they each are terrific.
Love the turquoise, the red stamping and the images together with the printing, all very effective.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never heard of a tip-in, but they are really pretty. And what a great box of goodies from Valerie. What a nice holiday gift for you. :)

~*~Patty S said...

Valerie certainly is a creative powerhouse and so generous and talented. All of those lovely things went to a very good home ♥
Your Tip ins are great again this year E!
Birds are very special to me too.
I do not know how you do all you do.
I thank you very much (your stamping looked extra nice to me!)
Still playing catch up with everyone.
oxo

sheila 77 said...

Thanks very much, Elizabeth, for coming back to me and explaining about tip-ins. Aha, that's what a tip-in is, what a lovely idea. One of my friends has put my hand-made cards in her journal, so I have made tip-ins even although I didn't know it.
Please give Bleubeard a special stroke and hug from Scotland.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous collection of tip ins - of course you know I love cardinals even though I have never seen a live one! Your snowflakes look great too! Love your goodies from Valerie - lots of fun time ahead I think!! Thank you for joining us again at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx