Friday, October 30, 2015

Journal 52, Week 44: Hauntingly Beautiful (and AJJ, too)


Remind me to NEVER say I've finished with a challenge until the challenge is actually over.  Here it is Week 44 at Journal 52 and Chelle our host chose Hauntingly Beautiful for the theme.  She shared her art with us that included a house.  So, of course, my thoughts went to Art Journal Journey where Sheila, our host this month, chose architecture.

Chelle suggested a Halloween inspired theme, so I created this haunted house.

The house is about to fall down, and the roof has holes in it.  The chimney is completely gone.  Birds fly in and out.


A witch can be seen flying over the moon because the windows are non-existent.

A tree branch has broken through the back of the house and a bat is about to land in the rafters.

A ghostly image is standing in the doorway waiting for you and me to enter.  Do we have the courage?  Note the house number, too please.

Outside the house is a grave marker.  Does it belong to the ghostly figure or one of his relatives?  Perhaps we should ask because most of the markings have been ravaged by time.

Materials used include a used file folder (as an aside, if you were here last week, you see I have now punched holes so this can be added to my 3-ring binder), lots of dye ink for the background, pigment ink for the stamped images, black Sharpie to outline the house and gravestone (both cut from card stock and glued in place), a purple ink pen for the grave writing, and a red pen to outline the windows and doors.  Lots of stamps were used, too, The two in the window were ones I bought in their dollar bin a couple of years ago at Michael's (a big box craft store in the US and Canada), the figure and the bird came unmounted from Mrs. O'Leary's, a local stamping, scrapbook, and mixed media store.  Whew!  That was a lot this time.

So now I can truthfully say this is my final Art Journal Journey entry this month, and my 44th week of Journal 52 in 2015.  Thanks to one and all for your continued support of my art and your wonderful comments.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooh, yes, a wonderful spooky haunted house. Thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey once again! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ha! Ha! Happy Halloween Elizabeth! What a fabulous spooky house! Enjoy your day and your little visitors this evening! Hugs, Chrisx

froebelsternchen said...

I love this happy spooking house ... today we have sunshine here and I think some of the houses will actually look like this one now on Halloween day before the sunset will come.
Great that you could combine with Journal 52 so well !
Thank you very much for another great entry to Art Journal Journey Elizabeth!You made this month so special with all your ideas!
Happy Halloween!
oxo
Susi

dawn said...

Hello and Happy Halloween! I love your house, not too scary or gory thank goodness. Great use of the stamps! A perfect fit for the prompt and to the end of the month.

I just posted my Hello November a day early, it's my favorite month you know. Hoping to be here for T Day next week. The weather was very windy all week and a bit cooler, a warm up is coming and then cool again, sounds just like NE weather right!

This will be my first year not taking any kids out, so crazy I've been doing it all my adult life and now we start a new phase, adult children and Sam of course.

Have a good weekend and of course we change the clocks tonight.

~*~Patty S said...

Looks like you had fun creating your cool haunted house and how nice you could enter two challenges with it too.
Can't believe it is November tomorrow.
Happy Halloween E
oxo

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Halloween! Hope your day (and night) are not haunted but are beautiful :)

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great piece! And you can now your architecture pieces for AJJ is reeally over! Ha-ha/ Anyhow I love the ghostly images...they really make it spooky!

Meggymay said...

A fantastic haunted house. The lighter colours make it even more frightening with the prospect of meeting something scary when its still light.
Happy Halloween
Yvonne x

Krisha said...

Great combination of challenges, love the ghost in the door.
Can't believe it is the last day of October already, quite spooky!
Happy Halloween....hope to get to join everybody for T this coming week.

sheila 77 said...

Hooray, Elizabeth, an extra bonus for Architecture!
I enjoyed so much all your fun explanations - the missing chimney, the tree branch broken through, the ghostly image at the door (no I am NOT going to enter, thanks!). It's a really super Halloween house.
Thanks again for all your Architectural entries, and hope you enjoy next month's AJJ too.

Denise Price said...

Your haunted house looks very spooky! I hope you're having a Happy Halloween. :)

Carol said...

I like your journal page this month and I really like all of the stamps you used. :)

johanna said...

haha, never say...
well, you worked your duties up gracefully. no quitting here;)
i like your haunted house and i hope you had a great Halloween time!