Saturday, February 7, 2015

Poetry Journal Monthly: Winter Chores

Today I'm joining Robyn at Rainbow Weaves for this month's Poetry Journal Monthly.

My friend Kathy dropped off a "few" things last weekend, including the background for this piece.

My friend also gave me the poem.  I added it to the artwork

after I colored the sides of the poem.  I added the puffy paint and a bit of glitter, then glued everything to a used file folder.

The poem, Winter Chores," was written by Mark Case.  I used an excerpt of it.

Summer's gone, grain's in the bin.
The peace of winter settles in.
The wind blows cold; the snow piles deep.
And all the world seems fast asleep.
Yet life goes on in the out of doors
With the quiet pace of winter chores.

This time of year a man really adores.
He has nothing to do except the winter chores.
                Excerpt from a poem by Mark Case

Enjoy.  And be sure to check out Robyn's Poetry Journal Monthly.

One thing I've noticed is, I'm sleeping more (LOTS more) and coughing less.  The chills are gone for the most part, and I "hope" I'm actually getting over whatever this is.  As always, I appreciate the kind remarks you leave.  Thank you SO much. 

 

17 thoughtful remarks:

jacque4u2c said...

This turned out amazing! Amazing job.

Robyn said...

Love this page! some of your best work!
glad you are feel in better and able to appreciate winters quiet pace!
( not sure about the chores part!)
I'm going to look up this poet!
Thanks for the inspiration !

voodoo vixen said...

I think this is one of my favourite pieces of yours E!! I love the colours, the pearls, the lace, the poem... yep, I like it all a lot indeedy!
Hang in their kiddo, you are coming out the other side... it took me 6 weeks to get over it but finally my body decided that enough was enough and kicked its butt!! It really does knock you for 6 though... nasty bug what ever it is and everyone I speak to has had or has it and yet the government over here insists it is not at epidemic levels... eh? You ahve to be kidding!

https://tastytextiles.blogspot.com/ said...

I've not been following you for very long, but I think this is my favourite piece so far!

Darla said...

Such a great piece, I like the rather monochrome look, it is very serene.

Darla

froebelsternchen said...

A DREAMPIECE Elizabeth.. we have exactly this kind of weather just at the moment!

Anonymous said...

Lovely page. I wsh winter's chores didn't include quite so much shoveling. Another 2 feet on the way urgh. Glas you are feeling better. Keep resting and recovering. xox

Nan G said...

Your piece captures the feel of winter perfectly, E. Atleast, how I remember winter. So glad you're starting to feel better. Hugs from all us Girls.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I hope the little girl doesn't throw that snowball over here because we have quite enough! Unfortunately rain/snow/sleet coming tonight into tomorrow.

This piece is really nice and the quote excerpt fits it perfectly!
It looks like you enjoyed making this one!

PS You were right....windchills went below zero one day, but otherwise mostly at night.

Nancy said...

Glad your health is improving. This is a sweet image and lovely piece.

pearshapedcrafting said...

So good to read that you are feeling and sleeping better! This is beautiful Elizabeth! I love the poetry! Chrisx

Lisa Graham said...

Such a great piece Elizabeth! I love the soft pale colors and the texture is just so well done. Happy weekend to you. Are you loving our temperatures or what?

PS: I am now a fellow Riversider. We moved in Dec. Love it here. I walk every day and every day is something new.

Halle said...

This is really beautiful!!!!! I love everything about it!

Krisha said...

Absolutely stunning!! I LOVE the poem.
Glad to hear your starting to feel a little better.

johanna said...

perfect winter mood - i really love it. good you are on the mend...

AppleApricot Wen said...

Beautiful piece and beautiful layering! And I love the poem. I saw you do eco-dyes too. That's on my to do list as well. I recently found out the so called erosion bundle project (which is no longer running unfortunately, but still inspiring). Did you hear about that before? If not, I think it's something you'll love. http://erosionbundles.blogspot.com/
Hugs to you and wishing you well!

dawn said...

TRULY BEAUTIFUL!! Love this so much, you know I love trees!! The poem is perfect too, so good!

We are below zero and probably having a "cold" day for school tomorrow, YUCK!!

Glad to hear your feeling better, keep getting better and take it slow. HUGS and LOVE!!