Saturday, November 1, 2014

Rust, a fact of life

Today I plan to create some rust.   Rusted fabric, that is.

I tore an old white bed sheet about 12 inches wide and the length of the sheet (twin).  This is very thin fabric, so I'm not sure how well it will rust.

I picked my "rusty people" left over from a set of wind chimes I accidentally ran the lawnmower over one year.

I'm not sure you can tell, but I've doubled the fabric over, then added the last of my rust people.

I folded the fabric yet again, then

folded it one final time as I placed it in a plastic bag.

I added white vinegar I found at the Household Hazardous Waste facility one year.  I find so many wonderful things I can use in my art, there.   Then I folded and closed the bag, so the vinegar can work its magic for a day or two.

I would be remiss if I didn't warn that you MUST wear gloves when working around anything rusty.  Rust attaches to the hemoglobin in your bloodstream, so please, please, always wear gloves at all times when working with rust, rusted materials, and rusted fabric or paper that has not been treated. 

This is Day 2 of AEDM,
and I started the rusting process on a length of fabric.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Rebeca Trevino said...

cannot wait to see what happens.
i love rust.

Helen said...

slightly disappointed not to see results already, but will be back!

Vicki Miller said...

Wow, I love the great people! something entirely different to rust with. I will be looking forward to seeing how they turn out

TammyVitale said...

great to see you back! thanks for the great tutorial!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love these figures. I have a picture in my mind of what the material will look like and am interested in seeing how close my guess is.

I'd have trouble resisting placing the people around my patio to keep the chipmunks company now that I've brought in my plants lol

Unknown said...

I've never seen this done before, so I can't wait for the results.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Loved the rusty people! Such cute designs. Looking forward to the results. Great to see you again this year!

Linda Gibbons said...

Love those rusty people--what great templates. Can't wait to see the finished fabric.

~*~Patty S said...

Really looking forward to seeing your rusty people out of the bag and onto your fabric E!!!
oxo

Julie Jordan Scott said...

My heartbeat is excited to see what happens next! LOLOL! Love the mystery and so good to be here with you again!!

Jo Murray said...

I look forward to the results...:) Jo

Maron said...

wow. haven't seen this rusted fabric process so I can't wait to see the results!

massofhair said...

You are a tease Elizabeth, never seen this done before, looking forward to the reveal!

TY for the tip about rust, wasn't aware of the possible repercussions, will wear gloves from now on:-) xxx

Cindy McMath said...

Well I'm excited to see the results of this Elizabeth - always leave your audience wanting more! I'm curious as to why vinegar would be in the hazardous waste area - I suppose it was "expired" for eating / cooking but not for art? And thanks for the safefy info about working with rust (not something I've done or plan on but you never know!

Nancy said...

I can't wait to see the results. Love the rusty wind chimes!

johanna said...

i can hardly wait for the outcome... did you already take a peek?