Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 25 of 30 paintings in 30 days

This is another scheduled post where I'm once again linking to Leslie Saeta at Slices of Life when I wake at 6 am. (Edit: as a result, I ended up at 42 today)  This is Day 25 of 30 paintings in 30 days, which also means there's less than a week left to this challenge.

This painting actually sounded better in my head than once it was painted.  From the beginning, I knew what I wanted to call it: "Do the Math."  Look how much larger the "less than" symbol is than the "greater than" symbol.  Speaks volumes for this piece.

For you non-math majors, from the top, left to right, the symbols are "less than," "theta," "function (of)," "pi," and "greater than."  The size is the same as usual, 8" X 10" (20,32 cm X 25,4 cm).

Did you recognize these symbols?  Were my images possibly too far off the mark, or did you miss out on algebra, trigonometry, and calculus in school? 

8 thoughtful remarks:

Sharon Fritchman said...

I recognize these symbols! And my Anne is taking algebra right now and will be moving on to trig and possibly calc in the next couple of years! Your art is very inspiring!!!!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh Mathematics isn't my cup of tea -
so it doesn't matter whatever symbols you would paint on this piece ... for me ...lol....

I don't know them or have already forgotten them ....

INevertheless I like your painting and I like your new APCs below...
had a lot to do in the house yesterday so I missed your post!
xxx
Susi

Darla said...

Fun page. Of course YOU would do math symbols. I knew 3 out of 5. The 3 easy ones, LOL!

Darla

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Despite the fact that I had a crush on my 7th grade math (Algebra) teacher who was a permanent substitute for our teacher who became ill....I did recognize most of the symbols. What to do with them...well, that's another story!

Thanks for making me smile today!

Krisha said...

Did I miss those classes???? I was an art major all the way up to the day I had a fight with my Dad and quit college. I know..... dumb, dumb, dumb!!! I didn't even know those types of classes existed.....LOL
So I'll take your word for the meanings of your symbols....grin
Great take on your symbols though!

Lady Catford said...

I got 3 of the symbols. not bad for only grade 10 math. You are an inspiration to us all.

TwinkleToes2day said...

I'm embarassed to say I only recognised 3/5 of them, but grateful for the education. I think this piece reminds me of some of the art in your Art Fair post - I meant to say that on the art fair post, lol, but commented there first - blah blah blah, haha. You have held up in the challenge very well Elizabeth, like me and my 29 Faces, nearing the end of the month :o))

Cindy McMath said...

I recognized 3/5 - it's been a long time since math class for me! My son memorized the first 100 digits of pi when he was in middle school - this reminded me of that! Nice colours.