Tuesday, January 14, 2014

WOYWW 241: the one where she jumps for joy

Once again I'm joining Julia, our beloved leader, along with other Deskers for What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday.

On my desk table is a box, a plastic bag, and the obligatory rocking horse (which I'm sure is what you actually came to see).

The condensed version of this tale is: my friend Sally told me I had to call Nikon and get a return order so I could return the camera I had purchased in October.  She's a QVC junkie and that's how they do it there.  I told her I wanted to keep my options open, even though I had bought this camera a little over 90 days ago at Office Depot, a big box electronic store in the US.

So I ignored her words of advice and returned to Office Depot where I asked what my options were for upgrading to a better camera, since the one I had was NOT functional.  Even though I loved it, I couldn't continue to return the camera because it wouldn't charge.  It was the second one I had returned due to this exact same defect.

I can't wait to charge the batteries, which incidentally are 4 each AA batteries.  As many know who follow my blog, I have a TON of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries.  I was thrilled.

The store manager told me there were very few cameras left after the Christmas rush, but this one was in stock and was the one I chose.  It's supposedly much better than the one I originally bought and the cost shows it, too.  At least I didn't have to start from scratch, as they allowed me to return my original camera and use it as partial payment for the upgrade.  Needless to say, I'm SO glad I tried my way first, rather than calling Nikon.  And Sally was stunned that it was such an easy return, too.

If you are visiting from Julia's please leave your number.  I'll find you, I promise!  And next week hopefully you won't have to strain to see the photos or the rocking horse.

37 thoughtful remarks:

BJ said...

Glad you got the camera sorted and glad you like journal 523 as well. Here I am awake at 3am and no post to link to yet! Not sure I will keep up with all the challenges, not done anything for the Craft Barn yet nor my Timmy tag for January. Ho Hum BJ#??

Nan G said...

Darling lil rocker! Good luck with this third? new camera! Happy WOYWW! Nan G #9

Vicki Miller said...

So glad you have your camera problems sorted out. Thanks for your concern on my blog. I suppose we are a bit paranoid about fires, but in Australia, you have to be, and once bitten, twice shy.

HeARTworks said...

At first I thought the rocking horse was a tape dispenser! It's just the right shape for one! Glad you got a new camera! I found out that my iPhone camera is better than my real camera which I am still paying for on installment! Happy WOYWW :^) patsy

RosA said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your kind comment re the canvas. I think I will consider it finished. It was really just made of bits and pieces! I'll put some more details up in the next day or so, if you would really like to know :)
Have a good week,
RosA # 1

Dianne said...

Yay! glad you worked it out. now to get used to how the new one works!

Claire Grantham said...

Good luck with the new camera. I do love an in store return. I bought my beast second hand and he is amazing..I love him SO much...not sure where I'd be without him. Cx #25

Helen said...

Good luck with the replacement camera, hope you have no further problems!! Thanks for the visit already. The dies sure are expensive but....!! Helen 7

Jackie said...

Good morning Elizabeth and of course Bluebeard ( hopes he's well no mention of him this week)
Well done on taking the camera back and getting it sorted out. I do hope that you will have no problems taking photos of all your lovely rocking horses from now on!. Perhaps you will photograph them all and produce a book!
How is your weather now?
Jackie 18

Anonymous said...

Super cool rocking horse. Glad you got your camera sorted out, that one looks awesome!

Happy woyww

Zoe #42

Eliza said...

I am so pleased to hear you got that camera problem sorted. Having AA batteries instead is a huge bonus. I am sure you will be happy with this one, don't forget to keep us updated with it's progress. Thanks for sharing and have a great photographic week.

Happy WOYWW
Hugs Eliza & Yoda 32

Annie said...

Good luck with the latest new camera....and I love that little rocking horse.
Hugs,
A x # 44

Anne said...

Hope this camera does all you want it to! I'd love a new one but holding off for moment. Sweet rocking horse. Anne x #49

sandra de said...

Great rocker, hope the new camera works well for you.
Sandra @28

Cardarian said...

I must admit I first looked at the camera ( fantastic one by the way) as I am a photography fan but I must admit I love your little rocking horse too!
Lots of hugs,
Cardarian

Cccam Server Best Provider in UK said...

I see like I'm constantly looking payment inviting things to read close by a heterogeneity of topics, but I get along to include your install develop into my reads every day because you have compelling entries that I look help to.

Cccam Server

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

The rechargeable batteries that we have tried in cameras never seem to last more than a few minutes. They do not seem to be able to cope with the power needed. Also we found that the ordinary batteries had loads of power left in them when the camera said they were dead. So all our cameras now run on their own rechargeable packs (must go and recharge a few now), which last so much better. Hope yours works well for you, and I hope you are a little warmer right now. xx Maggie #24

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

PS forgot to say that you need to put the silver birch bark somewhere to flatten it for a couple of days before you use it. xx Maggie

Darla said...

Hope your camera issues are taken care of with this new one. My pictures aren't great but it has more to do with the photographer than the camera in my case.

Cute rocker!

Darla

Unknown said...

Love the rocking horse! Sounds like you had quite an interesting time with the camera... glad it's resolved and you got a better one. Thanks for visiting # 4 and Happy WOYWW!
Carol N

Krisha said...

Hi Elizabeth and BB,
I hope this camera will last you a life time, after having so many problems this past year. I LOVE my Nikon, but wish I had gotten something more the size you have. Mine gets a little heavy when taking a lot of photos at events.

Thanks for the earlier visit, glad you can post again.
Krisha #26

trisha too said...

Yes, a happy ending!! (And you're right, we would have been very disappointed if there had been no horse!)

A Happy WOYWW to you!
:)trisha
#87 this week, with
image transfer pendants

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Hoping it's third time lucky with the camera :o)

Fiona #85

Robyn said...

I've returned 2 video cameras and always try the store first. I'm sticking with my iPad till I can figure out which camera will work for me- and they ain't cheap!
thanks for stopping by and the snoop around your place.
Robyn 6

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well done for sorting out the camera! It's good that the store were able to help promptly :-). Hope this one works well for you. Love the little rocker btw, that's quite an unusual one!
Hugs, LLJ 45 xx

fairy thoughts said...

hi Elizabeth I hope this camera proves to be a better option than the last 2. look forward to seeing some new fab photos
janet #18

Tertia said...

Cute little rocking horse, but even better is the nice new camera! Glad you could get it all sorted out.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #78

Neet said...

Love today's rocker, what fun! Enjoy your camera and let us see just what it can do.

A big hug from me to Bleubeard - one for you too and hugs and thanks for the visit, Neet 24 xx

Anonymous said...

Result! Well done. I loved my Lumix that DH bought me on a trip to Japan, and am not terribly fond of my Finepix, that I bought to replace it when the Lumix went south (really - I dropped it off my desk one day and it just won't turn on now.) Problem is they just keep coming out with better ones.... {sign} Cute rocker, as ever.

Happy WOYWW evening!
Mary Anne (19)

Julia Dunnit said...

Yep, you were right..your contract was with the store as Nikon's representative, so probably if you had gone straight to Nikon, they would have sent you back to the store! I'm glad you've got something else to try, I know you've been so frustrated in the past...I shall look forward to your review!

Anonymous said...

Congrats....Always best to follow your instincts first. That is great news that you now have a functional camera.....bet that horse is rocking away in happiness for you. xox

Spyder said...

well the camera looks fabulius but of course you are right... the rocking horse is something special!
Have a very Crafty week! Happy WOYWW?!
((Lyn))#39

Kyla said...

Yep, I agree with Julia, your contract was with the store so they are legally obliged to deal with it (well, over here in the UK it is).
So pleased you had a good result, not a good advert for Nikon though!

Managed to just finish my 365 Feb pages so am feeling a little chuffed (though they say pride comes before a fall...so listen out for the crash!!) :-0
Kyla #30

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,

It sounds like the camera had some kind of fault with it - so glad they did right by you and allowed you to use the old camera towards an upgrade. I have a Nikon but don't know what model it is - love it though as it has both an eye piece to look through and then the 2x2 (approx) screen.


Thank you for your visit already! I'm slowly making it around -- and now the numbers have changed so I'm having to hunt for people!
Happy belated WOYWW
peace, Kay (3)

~*~Patty S said...

super
you are on your way again then with a good working camera!

well done you!
oxo

Twiglet said...

Looks like a neat little camera. Enjoy! x Jo

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, glad the return process went well for you. One thought here, regarding the rechargeable batteries, especially with newer cameras. Check out that they are the right power level. I didn't know this, but not all AA and AAA batteries are the same. There are higher and lower power levels, which affect how they charge, and how long the charge lasts. Hugs to Bleubeard, I'm running so late this week, sorry. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz # 33 xx