Friday, November 16, 2012

A time to make haste

I'm super busy.  I have more items on today's "to-do" list than I have hours in the day.  I won't go into too many specifics, but it includes grocery shopping, running all over town looking for hard to find supplies, and the start of my pre-Thanksgiving house cleaning and baking.  I also have barely started tomorrow's altered book post that showcases my students.  Nothing like waiting till the last minute.  So, today's post is a quickie.  I decided to sand two of my future houses.  I began in the garage using a power sander, then finished in my craft room with a sanding sponge. 


After the sanding and tack cloth, I started the long process of gessoing these wood pieces.  It pains me to paint wood, but sometimes it has to be done.  While cleaning up after myself, I knocked both blocks over at one time or another.  The larger one I knocked forward, then backward.  I had a horrible mess and barely took time to get the worst of the gesso off my craft mat.  These are going to take awhile to dry, then the backs, second sides, and bottoms will need to be gessoed, too.  Finally, any touch up will need to be made prior to painting and decorating.  They definitely won't get finished today!

Today is Day 17 of AEDM.  Do you ever make art that takes longer than you anticipated?

9 thoughtful remarks:

Linda Richardson said...

at least you have a good start! looking forward to seeing your houses finished!

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Can't wait to see these finished. I made mess yesterday too. A glue pot leaked into a box of supplies I was taking to a class I was teaching. :-)

Monica said...

Everything take longer these days so today i must focus!

Dawn said...

Ooh Elizabeth I can't wait to see your finished houses, they will be well worth the preparation time I'm sure. I'm definitely with you on the wood loving thing though, I have quite a few pieces here that I've picked up in charity shops with a view to decorating at some point but I haven't had the heart to yet - mind you some of them are beautifully carved already so decorating them further would probably ruin them!! They are all well loved and used as art supply caddies though!
Huge hugs x x x x

Halle said...

One will definitely be a little house but what of the other...hmmm...
Can't wait to see.

SandeeNC said...

ahhh...a woman and her power sander! awesome combination ;) waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Anonymous said...

Oh what do you have planned for these little wooden houses. It does take foreer to paint little bits of wood....don't clean toooooo much and enjoy the holiday. xox

Debrina said...

You've gotta gesso - it's true; and I can almost guarantee you'll knock it over or it'll make a mess. I don't think I've EVER had a clean gesso session, lol!

Rita said...

LOL! I knock over things, too. :) Can imagine the wood just soaking up that gesso and taking many coats. Can hardly wait to see what you do with these. :)