Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tea in bed

I spent most of last night and this morning internet hopping, looking for more information on the fires and looting in England. The only television information came from my PBS station that has a nightly British report. The other media television shows were all about the decline of our economy.


So you can only imagine my surprise this morning when I walked out my front door to see my Surprise Lilies had popped up overnight. Possibly due to the rain, or possibly because it is August, these beauties, which are members of the amaryllis family, are going to be in full bloom in a day or two. For those of you who are botanical affectionados, these are known as Lycoris squamigera. Most landscapers feel you should plant the bulbs in a bed of ground cover, which helps conceal their tall naked stems. They require little to no care, don't seem to be affected by shade or pests, and bloom every August when everything else seems to be dying in the flower garden.


They are also in my "flower bed," even though the bed has been starved for water this year.

Today, I'm drinking Chun Mee, a traditional green tea from China that I got at the Spice Merchant here in town.


To celebrate having tea in bed, I'm drinking it in a traditional Oriental cup I got at the Oriental market. So whether it's in bed, in your garden, or another favorite spot, share your drink of choice (and link) with Kimmie and the rest of us Tea Tuesday gals.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Julia Dunnit said...

Love your flower bed. And the fact that you've had a bit of rain. It takes the parched weary look off the soil, if only superficially, huh! I love the pedestal too. Back to your bamboo....my Ma and Pa have been trying to rid themselves of a clump of bamboo for over 20 years..despite some dramatic cold and frost.......I've suggested they embrace it.

Halle said...

I sure hope you get some pictures of the blooms as well when they pop. Love the flower bed.

Yvonne said...

Love the flower bed and at least someone is getting rain. We are still so dry there is not much blooming, although I did get a few hibiscus blooms this week. Can't wait to see these little beauties of yours in full bloom. Happy tea day.

Suz said...

Those are lovely pictures. The bamboo is lovely and I love it as a setting for your pictures. Someday I am going to start trying some of these fancy new teas!
Fondly,
Suz
P.S. Would love a visit. I am showing my Nana's china...
http://katsuijewelry.blogspot.com

~*~Patty S said...

LOVE your tea today...and what a very fine bed it is!
Now you won't believe this...I have a confession to make...son and I visited a lovely garden today and I took some photos with our traveling tea cup for next T Tuesday (sometimes I plan ahead ;)) AND those lilies had popped up everywhere and were in full bloom...the common name for them here in Virginia is/are "Naked Ladies" LOL
What a fun coinkydink that is!
oxo

~*~Patty S said...

LOL just clicked your U of A link and see they are also called Magic Lily :)

Gayle Price said...

Hi Elizabeth. Happy Tea on Tuesday ! I love your tea "in bed" and your "flower bed". I really love lilies, I don't know much about the different varieties, but they are such elegant, graceful plants; I bet you can't wait for them to flower. I sympathise with you when you say your poor garden has had no water, it is very frustrating trying to keep our gardens flourishing when there is no rain and then water restrictions are imposed as well. I want to say a big thank you too for all the times you drop by and leave me a sweet comment..........I love hearing from you. Have a great Tuesday. xx

voodoo vixen said...

I am so glad the heat and dryness hasn't put them off - hopefully you will get the camera out when they are fully dressed?? ;) Sorry I am late... also been trailing the interwebs for news on home... such a sad time... there's no great in Britain when you look at what is happening on the streets of our cities. Wish these kids could have a taste of being really poor... begging for food and money to go to school like they did in South Africa... maybe they would then appreciate just how lucky they are to have free education, free health service, food and board paid for...

Unknown said...

Your garden looks very lush for having survived the worst heat wave in history :)
I think you definitely do have a green thumb.
The surprise lily looks gorgeous. And your flower "bed" is just way too cute!
Thanks for the tour!

Anonymous said...

Our lilies (we call them Resurrection lilies) have been up and about for several weeks now and most of the blooms are spent due to all this heat and then rain we keep having. I love your "flower bed"~ it is so sweet!! Happy T on T!
~Dawn

Marit said...

What a great idea to have a flowerbed like this! And drink tea in it on Tuesday (and any other day) Love the pics! Oh, and I just woke up and the newspaper said it was 'quiet' in England tonight (haven't heard the latest news though - newspapers aren't always up to date)

Darla said...

Ins't it fun when the Naket Ladies pop up like that? We have some at the Mt. House and while there was lots of greenery earlier they haven't blossomed yet. Maybe too dry.

I really like your tea cup.

Darla

Judy said...

Ah...I love your bed. I've got one, too...long ago engulfed by bridal wreath. Only the slightest glimpse of the frame is visible now. Your tea sounds fit for royalty...and I love your traditional teacup. Hope your Tuesday was wonderful...and have the best of Wednesdays. oxo Judy

Rebeca Trevino said...

What a beautiful garden! the naked ladies are going to be magnificent. we are spending the week on the central coast with my husband's family reunion, in Cayucos, California. It seems like the whole town grows these beautiful plnk lilies.

Rhonda Halushka said...

What a lovely garden to have tea in! I love the idea of Tea Tuesday... wish I had found your blog yesterday! Oh well, I will have some today anyway in spirit!

Ohhh Snap said...

Love the flowers and the tea looks delicious :D