Thursday, June 17, 2010

Clean up on aisles 3, 4, 6, and 9!


What was I saying about being a neat crafter? It won't look like it today. Of course, I'm not doing any crafting in this basement studio, or it would be clean.

With only a little over a day until the big Creative Spaces blog get together, I was totally ashamed of my basement studio. I hadn't even been in the room since I dumped all the stuff my art friend Dana and I decided I would store at my place. Can you believe it? It was nearly a month ago I put this stuff here, walked out, and closed the door.

Needless to say, I have a huge mess.

Even Wendy, there to see what this space is like, was a bit surprised by the mess, and wondered what she had gotten herself into.

Boxes everywhere! Stuff that needs to be sorted and placed on shelves. Will I ever make it?

I brought this paper organizer to the basement, after painting the outside brown. Not sure I like it, but I was hoping it would match the really sad dresser that matches the one in my other craft room, except this dresser had gone through a veritable flood a year ago. OK, one corner is now clean! You can see my glue tower in the corner and maybe make out my stencils I have stored in the originally white-with-pastel-stripes paper organizer. It's a bit cluttered looking on top of the organizer, but I simply haven't had time to find another space for the things that originally lived in that space on the dresser.

After an hour or so of sorting and pitching, Wendy found a fairly clean spot on my now mostly cleaned off work bench and could lift her head up a bit. Will we make it? I'm hoping. I may have to pull an all nighter, if not! And tomorrow, I won't be posting until late in the day, because we are supposed to post early late so those of you in other countries (like Australia and New Zealand) can start your blog hop early (for us, but not you, of course).

For today's blog, I "met" Chrissie last week in her first ever WOYWW. She is a self proclaimed neat crafter. Wonder what she thinks of this mess I've allowed to build up in this craft space. She pointed out that she would have to leave some of her work on her desk and photograph it for people to see her "messes." I hope you will stop by Chrissie's blog, Time For Me today and take some time to see her clean spaces. They are much prettier, newer, and cleaner than mine.

12 thoughtful remarks:

angelwhispers said...

You should have given me a call just love tidying my craft space always find things that I didn't remember buying!! Love it Chanelle looks fab already xx

Julia Dunnit said...

A month? Wow..I can see that would make your teeth itch. Don't tell anyone, but the stuff I dumped in our 'room of shame' is still there after...oh I don't know..a year at least. I do have some shame. And funnily enouhg, now I';m back at work and short on time to procrastinate, I have actually started to tackle it! Weird woman. Love your photos, your art is so much more complicated than mine - you need stuff - I need paper glue ink and stamps..I don't have a microwave or a rack full of different glues. Maybe it's a control thing - I just would never have a tidy room!!

Karen said...

ooo how I would love to come and help you tidy that lot!!! Sooo many goodies there that you have probably forgotten about haha XXX

Chrissie said...

Now you've managed to make a start on things it looks like you're really making headway. I'm sure it will soon be up to your normal high standards and just think, you'll probably manage to find loads of goodies you forgot you had!
Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog today, I hope I can live up to the 'press' you've given me! LOL!!

Halle said...

You'll get it all cleaned up...I have confidence in you! You might even come across some items that really inspire you!

Monica said...

hey there, just found your blog, via a man that crafts i think.

loving your work! that turpentine technique is so interesting. will look back through the archives too...

Terri Kahrs said...

I've not doubt that your space will be clean and spiffy by post time! Good luck! Hugs, Terri xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

There is a great quote about all of the good 'stuff' we find in disorder ... wish I could remember it ... good luck ... I know you can do it!

Unknown said...

www.replacementsltd.com is the best place to get information on china ... they give a wee history/info & pricing that you can use as a guideline for value ... & can even buy pieces from them.

TTFN ~ Marydon

Anonymous said...

i know absolutely nothing about "neat" arting or crafting. when i'm amid several projects at once, give me two days time and you literally have to climb through my studio. it's really quite a sad sight. you've inspired me though -- i'm going to tackle my desk today for the first time in maybe three months. it's about 7 inches high with layers and layers of who knows what.

Debby said...

LOL...you are making me giggle!!!! I love your aisle line...See you there, it is hard work...hehehe..
Debby

Mosaic Magpie said...

Suzanne Newsome became a follower of mine today, when I was sending her a note I saw the title of your blog and thought I would check it out. Girl, I am in the same boat as far as getting ready for WBC tomorrow. I have seen a few small photos of some other bloggers and their workspace is gorgeous. Everything matches and is all so neat. I am lucky to find the door sometimes around here. Anyway nice to meet you.
Debbie