Friday, October 16, 2009

Crackle with UHU

I created this tutorial for UHU, using my favorite UHU product: Twist & Glue.

Materials:
Heat tool
UHU Twist & Glue
Cheap acrylic colors of your choice
Old brush of your choice
Card stock, color of your choice
Craft sheet or other heat resistant surface

TIP: If using dark card stock, use light paint, if using light card stock, choose a dark paint color.

Cut card stock to size.

Liberally apply Twist & Glue to part of the card stock.

For this piece, I applied the glue loosely in the shape of a tree.

Immediately apply paint over the glue. Use more paint for smaller cracks, less for larger ones.

Using your heat tool, apply heat until the cracks begin to appear. Do not overheat or you will get bubbles, which may be a look you like.

The finished product looks a bit like a tree, but I fear I got too much paint on the piece because the paint bubbled before it cracked. In places where I applied less paint, I got really good cracks. Click to enlarge.

I decided to try a second piece and use less paint. I also decided to not try to paint an image. Cut card stock to size.

Liberally apply Twist & Glue to part of the card stock. Leave a border around the glue.

Apply a small amount of your choice of paint. For this project I used "warm milk" acrylic paint.

Using your heat tool, apply heat until the cracks begin to appear. Since I used less paint on this one, the cracks began to appear soon after I started heating the piece.

Allow to dry completely before using. I was happier with the results from this piece, although it was rather boring. I did convince myself that you can get a crackle finish that is as good as some of the commercial ones and I didn't get as much warp as I got with a commercial one I used recently. However, as you can tell if you click on the scan, I did get some warp, which I hope will go away after a few days under a heavy book.

3 thoughtful remarks:

Mary S. Hunt said...

cool process...i have a time achieving the crackled skin...not on ME but on canvas
i will give this one a try!

hope you are feeling better!!

Robin said...

Very cool and I love UHU's Twist and Glue! Thanks for showing the first piece...it's nice to know that everyone can have pieces that don't turn out exactly as they planned! :)

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Love the different results. Have to go out and buy this product now and give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!
Best-
Ingrid