Friday, September 11, 2009

I can't believe I forgot 911

Even though I planned a trip to a federal building yesterday to avoid being out and about on 9/11, I often post to my blog days in advance (unless it's a "day in my life"). So when I realized I had forgotten 9/11, I didn't have time to prepare anything because I'm working on a major project that is taking most of my art time.

I dug out a couple of images: one I made, the other I found on the internet.


I made this 8.5 X 11 piece for 9/11/06 to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the greatest human tragedy on US soil. It's hard to see, so that may be why I never posted it to my blog. It's a transparency of the US flag super-imposed over the twin towers, where the airplanes hit, flight numbers, the time of each attack, and the number of people who died in the twin towers that day. Unfortunately, I used a mottled blue glaze background, making it hard to see the towers, etc.

This is the image I posted last year (or maybe 2007). Although I forgot for a moment, I hope I don't ever let the memories of that horrible day die.

2 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

Your tribute to 9/11 is touching. I clicked on the large view and was able to see all the details.

Rachel

rikae said...

On 9/11 2001 we watched the second tower collapse,
we saw the fire and the smoke for what seemed days on end.....
I counseled firemen, policemen and policewomen at the 23rd street pier
for weeks afterwords.... the hardest part of the job was to counsel families who went about from center to center looking for their loved one that never went home.Thank you for remembering,
I will never forget......
rita kaehler