Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Playing with stencils

Ever since I played around with the brass stencil and color wash, I have been on a stencil kick. This is my first attempt at a spread using stencils, though. I began with gluing a napkin onto card stock, but thought there was too much orange in the piece. So the next thing I tried was dry brushing beige glaze over the napkin. That color didn't work at all, so I had to add the second napkin to cover over the glaze I didn't like, since I didn't have any glaze that went with orange and purple.

The goal was to use my stencils, so I got out some Gothic 2" stencils and tried to write the word "PLAY" with gold paint. The Gothic font is hard to read and the gold didn't show up well because there was not enough contrast between the background and the gold. I have lots of those Gothic stencils (1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", 3" sets), so I'm going to have to learn to love them or never use them.

Just thought I would share this latest piece, since I DID promise to show my failures as well as my successes.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

there's no failure, only feedback...you learn from it an move on...and share it with your blog fans too! could the gothic letters be outlined with a black fine point pen? ...maybe the napkins are too porous for that...anyway, I like it--very colorful--even if it wasn't what you originally intended...for most of us, it usually isn't!
thanks for sharing
Dianne