Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Playing with my stenciled artwork

I planned to play with stencils today. What fun I would have spray painting backgrounds and stencils outside on this lovely sunny autumn day. So I made a few backgrounds, let them dry, grabbed my spray paint and stencils, and my camera . . . . OOPS! I took two photos of working with stencils and my batteries died.

Since I wanted to document the process, I knew I wasn't going to work with stencils today. After all, it takes about 24 hours to recharge my camera batteries.

Not to be deterred, I got out my piece I worked on yesterday and began to look at it in the bright light of day. After all, I could scan it and wouldn't need to rely on my camera.
Even before reading Dianne’s gracious comment on my last post, I knew I wanted to accent the letters. So I grabbed my Micro pen and wrote words in the stenciled parts that corresponded to the letter they were in. That still didn't do it, so I found some lavender pearl fabric paint. The reason I used it was because it has the applicator tip.

It’s ironic that I was telling Dianne the other day I had no squeezing power due to my arthritis and lack of grip in my hands. I reiterated that today when I had to squeeze the bottle to apply the paint around the various pieces of letters. Drawing short lines and dots is OK, but you have to keep a continuous and even pressure on the container when applying paint in a constant line. After awhile, my hand started cramping and I started jerking involuntarily. None-the-less, I’m really happy that you can now better read the word PLAY and it begins to take on an art journal page feel. I also added some circles, the lines, and stitches using the sparkly fabric paint. I like it much better now, because it really has begun to feel playful.

0 thoughtful remarks: