Friday, September 12, 2008

A new technique using a stencil

I wanted to try spritzing color washes on a brass stencil, but the corner stencil was the only one I have in brass. Not to be daunted, I spritzed away on the side that didn't have lettering, then turned it over and plopped it down on the white CS. I repeated and plopped again, not really thinking much about positioning or size. I could not seem to control the amount of color wash that came out of the mister, so I got too much in some areas and none in others. This is something I will need to work on.
It's been raining here for two days, so it took forever for these to dry. When dry, I made two masks from post-it notes the size of the stencil and laid them on top. Then I spritzed the white CS with different color washes.
When those were dry, I removed the masks and placed the stencil back over the colored areas. Then I applied texture paste to the stencil. The stencil holes didn't line up perfectly, but I lined the stencil up to the outline and let the chips (or texture paste) fall where they may.
I found an image that would fit in the area at about 4:30 am. I tried cutting the image by the light of the TV. After I scanned the completed piece, I realized I should have turned on the light :>)
I think this would be a great technique with a larger stencil and one that had less detail. However, this is something I will try again.

2 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

E
I like this little guy.
now I know what else I can do with my brass stencils.
Thank You
Jeanene

Anonymous said...

The finished piece is really great.

Rachel B.