Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cleaning house

I'm trying to clean house. No, I'm not dusting, wiping down the fridge, or washing windows, but I'm reducing the mountain of scraps I have left from several recent projects. The mountain of leftovers finally got to me, and I created this background fabric paper piece, which is 36" X about 18".

I love making these because it gives me the foundation for a background that can either be sewn or glued and it gets rid of the clutter. However, it took nearly all night to glue all these pieces to the muslin. In an ideal world, I would have a spot that I could dedicate to laying a sheet of muslin or rosin paper out where I could add the bits and scraps as I accumulated them, rather than saving them for many months, then pulling an all-nighter to deal with a mountain of papers and images I just couldn't part with.
I'm not sure you can see details any better in this shot. I had to lay it on my living room area rug to take the photograph, because it was too large for my work table. The next step will be to dry brush various acrylics over the piece in order to obtain some cohesion.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

Great piece and idea for cleaning up/recycling! Seeing your altered books makes me want to work on mine soon again.