Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hanging for a silent auction

Last fall I made fabric paper that I decided to turn into a wall hanging for a silent auction I was asked to participate in. I honestly thought the auction was today, and I've been working all week to get this wall hanging finished, only to find out the auction is next month. You can see the original fabric paper, then see what I did to make it a wall hanging.
I started by making a mask which I used to lay down glazes and circles stenciled from punchinella.
Originally I planned to turn it into a hanging with circles and squares, but as the piece progressed, it took on a definite "Time" theme.
This is the final piece. I know it's a bit busy, but it has a lot of tactile interest, and many of the embellishments move, twist, and swing for lots of interaction.
I covered the back with decorated red rosin paper, then finished the edges with grosgrain ribbon.
This is the upper portion of the piece
and a detail of the upper third. Note the beads stung through eyelets on the left. These are handmade tyvek beads I made after I made the ones for the charm swap. I'm sure glad I made them, since I wasn't sure at the time what I would use them for.
This is the middle third
showing formica chips I used as embellishments. Thank goodness for the Crop-a-dile, because without it, I would never have gotten the holes in the formica chips. One squeeze and the holes were there, thus enabling me to attach them using brads.
This is the bottom of the hanging. The "tick tock" tags are die cuts and the "4's" at the bottom are left over from another project, as is the wire screen dipped in aluminum paint that I attached using brads.

I'm really glad this piece is finished. I hope it finds a loving home.

0 thoughtful remarks: