Thursday, November 8, 2007

Art for a swap

I can't believe it's been nearly a week since I posted. And there has been no art for even longer. However, about a week or so ago, I made 28 tiny squares (1.5" X 1.5") for a swap. I sent 27 and kept one for myself.


My 27 little Alphabet Sampler squares are finished and packed to travel. I packed them in plastic sleeves that hold projector slides. They were the perfect size after I put the key on. The one (lower right) that is not in the case, is the one for Belinda, who is going to assemble the Sampler and submit it to Somerset. The ones on the right are examples of the backs. Yes, they are all as alike as I could make them.

I came up with the idea of keys for the swap, but I didn't have 28. So, for the first time ever, I used a tiny bit of "Mold-n-Pour" Belinda sent me. It's a two part material that feels like very, very soft polymer clay when you start. You take equal parts of the white and blue, mix together until the piece is completely blue, then press the Mold-n-Pour over the piece, not the other way around, as I would have done, had I not read Suze's website tips. The instructions were to wait till hard, but my little molds never hardened. In case these look fuzzy, it's because they are about 3/4" in length. The keys are about 1/2" in length.

I originally was going to make the keys from UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel), but decided polymer clay would be easier. I think I was wrong, because the molds were not very deep. As you can see, I used the two keys I had. I didn't realize until much later that one key was facing one direction, and one the other.

This is the one I saved. There is a lot of stamping on this piece, especially for someone who isn't a rubber stamper.

0 thoughtful remarks: