Thursday, May 2, 2019

Second on the 2nd: Phil Epp


Today I am combining two posts, but only showing partials of each.  I'm actually honoring Erika's theme (In the Sky/In the Air) who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.

Phil Epp is a Kansas native and his art reflects Kansas landscapes and skylines.

These photos were taken with my old camera and they don't enlarge.  This is as good as it gets!   On the left is a Kansas wheat field in a lightening storm, on the right is a stretch of Kansas highway.

On the left is a painting of the Flint Hills, which are really the only hills you will find in Kansas.  On the right is a rainbow and more flat lands.

On the left is a typical field in autumn after the harvest.  On the right, this is what Kansas roads look like in winter.

The tornado on the left is a typical scene in spring.  On the right is a sunset from a railroad track.

On the left we are back to the beginning and a typical Kansas road.  As shown earlier, the tornado is on the right.

A few years later, with a much better camera, I took Sally to see this exhibit, which is in the rotunda of a medical clinic.





No matter how hard I tried, I could only get four of these in one shot.  Personally, I like the ones I took with my old camera better.

I suspect I have given you some ideas of how to meet Erika's challenge this month.

But  I wasn't through.  After lunch at the Breadbasket,

I took Sally to the main sculpture that put Epps and Newton, KS on the map!  No, not the water tower, 

but this sculpture that is made of hand painted and hand fired tiles.

Personally, I thought these figures detracted from the beauty of the tiles, but at least you can see his name he signed in two of the tiles.

The first time I went, I walked to the sculpture.  The time I went with Sally, she didn't want to walk up there and only wanted to stay a few minutes because it was so hot.



I'm actually surprised how well my old camera behaved on this voyage.




I was so engrossed with the texture on the back,

I almost failed to look up and see the sun!

__________________________________________________________

I hope this post gave you ideas for Erika's theme and you got an appreciation for Phil Epp and my very flat Kansas landscape and wide open skies.

I know everyone, including your host is going to be sad (NOT) that we're not linking using Inlinkz today.   We are going to once again link using Mr. Linky, but remember, I have NO way to remove your link if you make a mistake.  And although Second on the 2nd is normally open for five days, this link will close on the 6th when I post our first T party in May.  Since my Mr. Linky is a free membership, I can only post one link at a time.

Now it's time for you to link your second look on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Then link below and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.
 
Remember to share something from your blog that you showed previously. Be sure the link goes directly to your Second on the 2nd post and not your blog in general.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Phil Epp's pictures are great. As you may have noticed, I am a great fan of the skies and spend a lot of time looking upwards and taking photos, even if people look at me like I'm mad. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful art Elizabeth!
Heavenly!

Happy Second on the 2nd Elizabteh! A great shout out for Erika's theme as well!Super!

Big hugs from busy busy Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

Absolutely stunning!

Sami said...

Loved the sculpture and the sun was a surprise. I also think those brown statues don't blend very well with the blue tiled sculpture.
The various photos of the sky are very pretty Elizabeth.

kathyinozarks said...

I loved the photos and how they are displayed and I really loved the sculpture too with the tiles-I agree with you those sculptures detract and I don't really like those.
Happy second on the 2nd-great choice a I had not seen this before-thanks for hosting-

My name is Erika. said...

This post is filled with some fabulous art. Wow. I love all the clouds and the various sky shots, and the sculpture is amazing. It looks like it is pretty tall too. I love the tile effect and those clouds. Who doesn't love big white fluffy clouds. Unfortunately all we have again is those grey wet clouds. And it does give some great ideas for my AJJ theme. Thnks for sharing and for giving out some AJJ ideas. Happy May 2. Hugs-Erika

Darla said...

Some stunning photos. I like them in their interior setting, almost like windows. I'm not so much a fan of the sculpture, don't know why.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I would love this place, both inside and outside - I am so happy that you made it into a Second look post! Lots of inspiration for AJJ too! Have a lovely day! Hugs, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

Oh I am so proud of myself! I scheduled a post and it worked! Elizabeth, you have really helped me with my blog. I was even able to add the TIOT logo to my sidebar, because how you helped me that one day! So, I am here celebrating the 2nd with you!
I love your post! I have got to get my hubby to take me over to Epps & the Bread Basket! You always do so many interesting day trips! Have a great week-end!

Sandra said...

I love the murals, sculpture and water tower:) They're magnificent.

Divers and Sundry said...

The skies in that rotunda are wonderful! I really appreciate it when public spaces and buildings have actual art, and this is a perfect example of how to do it right :)

I googled Epp, since I liked the sky sculpture so much and don't remember knowing about him. That whole park looks worth a visit -a lovely place for a picnic, I think, and the photo ops are numerous. I'd have had to take a selfie with the figures in front of Blue Sky ;)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

there's a lot of awesome talent in today's post Elizabeth; the tile sculpture is amazing; one looks at it wondering if it will close, and bring the center clouds together !! ☺☺♥♥

sheila 77 said...

Great photos, Elizabeth, so clear and showing such space all around, especially the magnificent large tiled sculpture. Thanks for showing something (two things) that I will never see.

Meggymay said...

Fantastic photos, I think I would like to have seen this exhibition of awesome art work. But via your super post I got to visit, so thank you for taking me with you .
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

What a cool tour. I seem to be perpetually behind with posts these days...didn't make it for this one either. :/

Lowcarb team member said...

Loved this post and seeing all of your photographs.
Nice to see Phil Epp's work.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

This is quite impressive and I would have enjoyed seeing it in person. Phil Epps is quite a remarkable artist. Thanks for this one.