Friday, May 3, 2019

Friday Smiles, calendar pages, and art challenges, too

 
I really don't like to load up on lots of different and disparate blog entries in a single post, but I really had no other choice today unless I wanted to skip a challenge.  First, I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  No museum shots today, because I have lots of art to share instead.  Here are a few funnies I found in my office when I cleaned it last year.

I hope I haven't shared this before, because here are a few thought provoking questions I can't answer.  Did you ever wonder:

Why the sun lightens our hair,
but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara
with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline
'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word?

Why is it that doctors call what
they do 'practice'?

Why is lemon juice made with
artificial flavor, and dish washing
liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all
your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the
slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored
cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle
for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black
box that is used on airplanes? Why
don't they make the whole plane out
of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments
when they are all stuck together?

If con is the opposite of pro, is
Congress the opposite of progress?

If flying is so safe, why do they call
the airport the terminal?  


Enough of that.  Now for my April calendar that is complete and my May calendar I've already started to write in.

April was all about birthdays, including mine.  It was also a green month because I was trying to go green.  I seem to have cut off the cupcake when I scanned the page and I only got a portion of the bunnies, too.

I've already started writing in my May calendar. 

And because my calendar pages are always so wimpy, I'm joining Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her themes In the air/In the sky.  Today I've once again chosen In the sky.

I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday with their theme this fortnight, Things with wings.  Similarly because I only used one word on my page, I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More, with their fortnightly theme, Just a word.

These birds are flying in formation high above the clouds.

They have certainly taken Flight.


For this page, I began with black construction paper, then added a background technique where I mixed gesso and my handmade shimmering mist I applied using a sea sponge.  I was quite happy with the way it turned out.  Once the background was dry, I sewed the focal image in place using green variegated thread.  Finally, I found these stickers in my stash, sent to me years ago by my dear friend Cindy.  Yes, I've had these at least eight years, I fear.  Time to use the last of them.

Thanks so much for your visit today.  I am always grateful when you drop by.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Friday Smiles, Art Journal Journey, Try it on Tuesday, and Moo-Mania and More. I promise not to double triple up again like this.

30 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You have been busy once again. Well done on keeping up with your calendar. Have a fun month filling it! Valerie

Romance Reader said...

Awesome. I like how you do the calendar!

Sami said...

Loved all the funnies Elizabeth.
Always a full calendar :)

froebelsternchen said...

Great posting dear Elizabeth!I adore your always full calendar and the funnies every week and oh this wonderful free page speaking to my heart! Thank you for joining Try It On Tuesday, Moo Mania & More and Art Journal Journey with this triple up!Clever and smart and artful !!!
GORGEOUS!
Happy Friday dear Elizabeth!
Much work here with my brother but everything quite nice and relaxed so far!
Lots of LOVE from
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

I love the calendar(s) and the birds in flight today. The butterflies are a cool addition across the top of your calendar. And the earths in April. I take it that is the AJJ theme or a pretty decoration, but I like it. And a good Friday morning funny is nice. This dark weather almost all week can easy make you just want to sleep. Happy end of the week. Hugs-Erika

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful image of birds soaring, Elisabeth. Just looking makes my spirit soar ;-) Your background turned out beautifully - and I bet it's much nicer IRL because of the shimmer. I don't know why it's never occurred to me to try coloured gesso, but I confess it hasn't - duh! Using a sea sponge makes it so much lovelier. Great funnies and lovely to see your filled up calendar pages :-)
Have a lovely day!
Cath x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Before I forget, Happy belated birthday xXx Loving the funnies, might have read one or two before but who cares, still made me smile. Gorgeous journal page, love it. Have a great weekned. Hugs, Angela xXx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I always enjoy reading your funnies, because they make me laugh. (I especially like the one about Congress: too true.) Your calendar pages are lovely. Your art journal page showing the birds in flight is wonderful. (I'm going to try to make something for that challenge this month.)

Annie said...

Sorry I'm so late calling round today....this is the first break I've had time to get on the cumputer today cos I've had so many customers disturbing me [and I still have one to come before I finish at 5!]. I love to be kept busy but there are limits lol
Had a good chuckle at the funnies even though I have seen them before.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Your funnies are a little bit different today and certainly are food for thought although they are meant to be funny (which they are)
Your birds in flight are gorgeous.
And it is good to see a calendar full of your daily activities. Nothing sadder than an empty calendar I believe.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the background but would have trouble covering up any of it. It's so beautiful on its own!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles; mouz flavored cat food !!!! we R sew ther :) ☺☺☺♥♥♥ heerz two a grate week oh end ~

mamapez5 said...

I laughed at your "questions". I have seen them before but I'm no nearer to offering any answers.
The calendar is fun but I love the birds in flight. What a good set of challenges you have managed to find for it. I am a bit laxy about that I'm afraid. Keep smiling. Kate x

Barbara said...

How funny! Language is weird. Thanks for your visit, and talk about “whimsical”, that’s your funny entry! I love your page, the background especially. So pretty!

Meggymay said...

Great calendar pages, April looks like it was a very busy month for you, I hope May will be a good month for you.
Your journal page with the birds soaring off into the sky looks fantastic. The background colour looks lovely as well. Thank you so much for linking with us at Try it on Tuesdays and the support you give us there.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

What a so so GORGEOUS Art page Elizabeth !! Once more you have impressed me with your so particular and wonderful creativity. This background is super-wonderful, love the colour, the mix, love the lovely birds flying in the sky. And Your calendars are so beautiful!! Love them too.
I want to wish you a belated Birthday Elizabeth !! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ I wish you the best ever ♥(I was not sure if when you spoke of the Bearthday, it was for you or for the Earth, because the day of the Earth was on 22nd April too. But now I see it was for your Birthday, I ´m so so sorry for this confusion).
I shall visit your last posts and comment as well, because I´m afraid I´ve missed some of them, apologize !
I want to thank you very much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday, and wish you a very nice afternoon,
With big hugs, Caty

My name is Erika. said...

And I want to say thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday also. Somehow I missed that this morning!

Rita said...

Love all the word questions! LOL!
I like your choice for Things With Wings.
A new month is upon us. I can't believe it. ;)

Rosie said...

A wonderful posting, Elisabeth

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Gillena Cox said...

Very nice, the calendars are super creative

Much 🌻love

craftytrog said...

Super pages!
Happy May Elizabeth!
Alison xox

Birgit said...

Those are funny and so true and I always wondered why the needle is sterilized...kind of dumb. Your calendar is full and that’s nice to look at. Love the image and love, love, love the background which makes me want to reproduce it to.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous calender pages and it looks like you had a busy month too! Your flight page is wonderful, I love the image stitched into place on the beautiful green background that you created 😁. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Let's Art Journal said...

... Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday too! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I loved all of your funnies! What a month you had but I do love your pages! Your journal page is fabulous Elizabeth! The background looks great with the image and the word is perfect! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs,Chris xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the funnies.
So nice to see those birds flying in formation high above the clouds, I like flight.

All the best Jan

Marfi-topia said...

really enjoyed the funnies!oh, you certainly had a busy month.
I love the new artwork...the light stitches look so good against the dark background.

Jeanie said...

Your calendars always make me feel like a slug -- and motivated to do better! I do love the "Flight" piece.

WendyK said...

Love the saying and your two calendar pages. The soaring birds are great on the textured background. Love that you are sewing so much.
Hugs Wendy

EricaSta said...

Thank you for sharing for MooMania. Wonderful Artwork.