Monday, December 24, 2018

T Stands For Merry Christmas


Since Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month,

we are meeting at my dining room table with another T inspired journal page.  I hope I'm not the only one playing today, but I will understand if you can't make it to T time, since it's Christmas (or Christmas eve, depending on when you visit).

You should know me by now that once my sewing machine was fixed, I would be back sewing words to the page again!

"Seltzer,

Sage,

Rosemary,

and Thyme."


Note how I wrapped excess thread around the stem of the glass on the left.



For this page, I began by laying down pink dye ink on my 110 lb card stock substrate.  When I found these images in a magazine, I immediately fussy cut them.  All the stems were cut away from the background.  I tried to position each of the stems on a staff line on the vintage sheet music.  I chose sheet music as a background because of the reference to the Simon and Garfunkel song Scarborough Fair that was part of the album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.  The song was also used in the movie The Graduate.  The words were colored using water soluble crayons, and sewn to the page using variegated thread.
 

Of course, I had to drag out one of my tree inspired glasses, too.

I also want to share some lovely cards and gifts I have received in the last few weeks, as well as a couple of gifts I made before my sewing machine meltdown.

I know many of you saw the one I made for Susi, but it wasn't finished when I took this photo.  My machine had started to go crazy about that time.  The one on the right was ready to be mailed, so that's why I rushed the photos.

Here are the gifts and cards I received in the order in which I received them.  I turned several into mosaics because we would have been here all day had I not!
Kathy's gorgeous handmade card, meant to be taken apart and used in my art.

Linda K's incredible card, gifts, and Dina Wakely papers

This gorgeous card came from Sharon.  It is hand stamped and has lots of glitter, too.  She definitely lives up to her foxy stamping name.

This came from Halle.  She always sends me lovely cards made with photos of their family.  I would NEVER mention their names or show their faces, but since Marvin was listed as part of the family, I thought it would be OK to show his name.  We've all enjoyed Marvin and his antics during T before, so I had no qualms there.  In order to hide both my address and Halle's address, I decided to show Kathy how her wax seal on her envelope arrived at my house.

RO!'s gorgeous gift and card.  I kept the washi tape, too.  She admitted she didn't make the card.

Cindy's incredible hand painted bingo card and tons of postage stamps I can use in my art.

My friend Ed, with whom I went through the Ph.D. program at Wichita State sent these pins and an adorable card.

I am so honored that each of you was so kind to send such incredible gifts.  I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.  Words just don't and can't convey how grateful I am.

And last, but certainly not least, are these incredible gifts I won during Mia's birthday bash last month.

Lovely handmade pieces and lots of goodies I can use in my mixed media art. Sadly, I don't have pierced ears and am allergic to all metal.  I will use these in my art, though.
Everything except my glass has now been put away (have I not mentioned I'm a bit anal?).  I will wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy holiday.  I'm off to cook various squashes in preparation of Christmas dinner.  I may even show them if they turn out OK.

By now, I'm sure you know the drill.  It's time to share your own drink related post.  It can be photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.   Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday.  In just a week I will also be able to say "and not even this year!" which also means you should be looking for a Second on the 2nd post.



30 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page with the glasses, and lovely to see all the gifts and cards you received, enjoy! Merry Christmas, happy T day and have fun sewing again! Valerie

Meggymay said...

A very beautiful journal page to celebrate Christmas, it is also great to see your sewing again and those wine glasses and the herbs look fabulous.
Your etched wine glass looks beautiful, I would want to display that all year.
I'm sure you will enjoy using your gifts, they look super.
Thank you for your friendship Elizabeth, it means a lot to me.
I've said this before many times, friends are the family we choose for ourselves.
Have a Happy Christmas and of course a Happy T Day.
Yvonne xx


kathyinozarks said...

Merry Christmas Elizabeth, I love your journal page and that beverage sounds delicious-especially on a hot summer day. I really love your crystal glass with trees.
I enjoy seeing what others create-so I really enjoyed this post.
I was not happy that my wax seals did not stay on. I had used her handmade wax before and they all did make it through then so not sure what happened. I did some research though and there are different sealing waxes-will do a post about that soon as want to try this again.
Thanks for hosting hugs Kathy

Eileen Bergen said...

Wonderful page, Elizabeth. I love your twist on "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme."

The quiltlet you made for Susi is beautiful and so very thoughtful.

Just look at all those cards and gifts! You have some wonderful friends (and deservedly so). I'm only sorry that my card didn't arrive in time for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous journal page! It's so elegant and beautifully designed, those drinks look so refreshing 😀. Your Christmas mail is amazing, it must have been so exciting to receive so many wonderful makes and gifts - enjoy! Wishing you a Happy Christmas and T Day! J 😊 x

Rita said...

Lovely cards and gifts.
Merry Christmas! :)

Cindy McMath said...

What a fun journal page - I love the glasses and your sewing on that lovely background! Thanks for showing my card - I figured you could find a use for some stamps. I hope you saw my note recently that I received and loved your gifts! Merry Christmas my friend. Xo

CJ Kennedy said...

I’m so happy your beloved sewing machines is repaired. Wonderful journal page. The song was one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs. Your tree glass is so very pretty. What amazing cards and gifts your received. Merry Christmas! And Happy T Day

My name is Erika. said...

Merry Christmas to you my friend. Hope your day is filled with happiness, peace and joy. And of course a little T too. Hugs-Erika

johanna said...

this collage with the three glasses is fantastic!! one of your very best! of course i also immediately thought of simon and garfunkel. cheers, elizabeth, our great hostess ♥
you got wonderful gifts (and you deserve them!!). i´m really hesitating to send out post meanwhile - i did make only a few cards this year and two of the envelopes vanished in the nirvana... if you go to complain at the post office, they only give you a mild smile and a shrug. that makes me feel so helpless.

hope you are having peaceful days! see you for many t-days in the new year!
xoxox, johanna

johanna said...

forgot to say: after this post i´m tempted to replace my broken sewing machine... always a nice touch... and the thread thing so clever!!

Lisca said...

I’m so glad your sewing machine has been fixed. And I must say you page is beautiful. And so is your special tree glass.
I’m sure I will be humming the song all day now as I remember it well. I used to have the lap Bridge Over Troubled Water. Of course they were vinyl records in those days, so you played not just one track but the whole album. To this day, when I hear a song from the album on the radio, I can continue to sing the next song on the record, after the previous song finishes. It is ingrained in my brain ( or should I say ‘inbrained?)
I love seeing all the lovely things you have received. You have been spoilt. Of course you have been sending some fab stuff too.
I wish you and Bluebeard (and Squiggles too of course) a very peaceful Christmas,
Lisca

RO said...

You did such an amazing job with those handmade cards(I loved mine) even though the machine messed up. All I can say is that it's great to have artistic friends who can make all these incredible handmade cards, and the goodies you won are very cool too. I really enjoy drinking seltzer water and sparkling water, and it never occurred to me to add herbs to them to spice things up and make it even more healthy, so thanks for that tip. Hugs and Merry, Merry Christmas! RO

craftytrog said...

Cheers! And a very happy Christmas dear Elizabeth! xox

Sami said...

Lovely to see all the gifts and cards you received.
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year Elizabeth.

Barbara said...

Merry Christmas, Elizabeth! Your music themed page resonates with me, it’s lovely! I don’t always get to comment but had to with that one especially., Thank you for your encouraging comment about my daughter’s and my painting session. Right now, it’s all about encouragement. ;) Best of the new year to us all!

Nancy said...

Merry Christmas! Your themed journal page is very appealing- those glasses fit so nicely and add the right touch.

Jackie PN said...

Merry Christmas dear Elizabeth and Bleubeard!
Blessing for the coming 2019!
hugs,Jackie xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your Christmas glassware and your artistic homage :)

Merry Christmas! May the season bring you great joy.

Mia said...

Lovely page, Elizabeth.
And your Christmas glassware is fantastic!!!!!!!!

Enjoy all your goodies, my dear friend.
And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs, Mia

Krisha said...

Gorgeous journal page!! Very festive indeed.
I LOVE your tree stemmed glass.
Merry Christams

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your journal page is beautiful as well as being a reminder of a beautiful song! So pleased that your sewing machine is fixed! What lovely cards and gifts from friends too - I guess mine is still in transit!! Your tree glass is so pretty! Hoping to get around to visits tomorrow mainly - but glad I got here before midnight(here!)
Merry Christmas, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

Just saw the comment you left on my post and I wanted to answer your question. I did make the purse. I thought since Christmas fell on T Day it would be a nice theme for the bag. I was a little rushed to finish it so it didn't come out quite like I wanted it to, but I still like it. Hope you enjoy it also and had a very very Merry Christmas. Mine was very nice but I have eaten way too much in the last 2 days. I guess that is one of the things Christmas is all about, eating rich foods. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Such a beautiful journal pageand it is great to see you sewing again on the page and those wine glasses together with the herbs look fantastic Elizabeth.
Your tree wine glass looks beautiful! An eyecatcher!
Fantastic gifts and cards from all the wonderful blogging girls, this all looks super.

Happy belated T Day you wonderful histess and friend!
Hugs, Susi

Halle said...

I love the details on your journal page such as the thread around the stem.
Ha..not much you were able to share with my card. I'm glad you appreciate them anyway.

Rike said...

I love your page with the three glasses! And I am a fan of Simon and Garfunkel since my youth! Wonderful sewing, the words pop up!
Your tree inspired glass is a beauty!
You got beautiful Christmas gifts, each brings you joy, and you can use them in your future artworks.
Wish you a happy day! Rike xx

belarmina said...

Felicidades precioso regalos que Mía envió

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

OoooOOo I love those champagne glasses with parsley, sage etc in them.....so inviting.....I'd like a glass plaese.

Jeanie said...

Your tea page is perfect. I'm a sucker for champagne and this is just a beautiful design with the green.

Loved your wonderful cards and gifts and your pretty tree glasses. Tis the season!

Linda Kunsman said...

I am in love with your journal page with the glasses and herbs!!! Lovely gifts , and thank you for the mention of my humble offerings too:) Your Christmas glass at the end of the post is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!