Friday, November 2, 2018

Second on the 2nd: a quick post explaining AEDM (Art Every Day Month)


I had another post ready to go, then found that several of my loyal followers, friends, and readers were unfamiliar with AEDM.  This is my 7th year participating.  AEDM is the brainchild of Leah Piken Kolidas and I end up participating every November. 

Before we begin, I want to let you know, if you are on Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, or G +, I will visit, but I cannot leave a comment.  I am ONLY a blogger, and apologize that I am unable to leave you comments.  I didn't realize how many other platforms I would not be able to leave comments on, since it appears AEDM is the only one I have real trouble leaving comments on.

Some of you may wonder what encompasses AEDM.  You will encounter pottery makers, photographers, dye artists, and journal artists.   Here are examples of a few of the years I participated.  Sadly, I didn't create mosaics until 2014.

It looks like in 2014 I was busy making altered playing cards, creating art for Journal 52, and journal pages for Craft Barn's quotes and/or lyrics challenge.  In my free time, I made art for Art Journal Journey, created several eco-dyed fabrics, created rusted fabric, made at least one art quilt along with one scrappy journal cover, and replaced the storm door on my front door.  Addtionally, I served tea and made more pages in my 7 Continents altered book.

For 2015, I once again joined Journal 52, featured AEDM during Second on the 2nd, cut my herbs back, then brought them in, served tea or coffee every Tuesday, worked in my 7 Continents altered book, and created art for Art Journal Journey.  The leaves in the next to the last photo are homage to Susi, who I believe I copied after she made some similar ones in her altered book/art journal.  I finished my Christmas tip-ins early and once again created another eco-dyed fabric.  I also made a few gifts, like the hearts and the art quiltlet.  The basket filled with Christmas goodies was painted and hung on my front porch.

In 2016, I was still making art for Journal 52.  I was also dyeing a lot of fabric, including using grape juice.  It was also my first year to create sun dyed fabric and I made three different scrappy journal covers when I did.  I made some art quiltlets using hand dyed fabric, and this was the first year I made coasters using ceramic tiles, some of which were acceptable, some turned not acceptable.  All were a learning experience, though.  I finally finished the cover of my Rocking Horse altered book with a rocking horse assemblage.  This was also the first year I took on large wood pieces and resin.  Seems I always find a way to make at least one  spread for my 7 Continents altered book during November, too.  I always decorate my house the day after Thanksgiving, so I shared a meal during T Stands For Tuesday,  Finally, I made my own stamp pad using an acrylic block and reinkers.  I got quite a few birthday cards using one stamp, too.  I created my annual tip-ins and even had time to visit the zoo, where I took many photos with my wonderful camera.

Last year (2017), I was creating journal art nearly exclusively for Art Journal Journey.  All but one of the journal spreads were created for Art Journal Journey, while the entry on the bottom left was for Seth Apter's ARTifacts.  My friend Scott and I made soap, then days later, we cut the soap which had to be turned and dried for six weeks before it could be safely used.  I voted, which I would never miss doing.  I borrowed some letter dies from my shopaholic friend Kathy.  I had three days to use the dies, so had to be quick about it.  I set my Thanksgiving table for T Stands For Tuesday with large pumpkins and gourds.  When I cut the pumpkin a few days later, I planted several seeds of hope.  I also brought my herbs in for the winter and Bleubeard was curious about them.  I made one quiltlet for my friend Valerie using fabric I purchased specifically for that purpose.  Finally, I spent Thanksgiving with my friend Scott at his mother's home.  Sadly, his dad had died earlier in the year.

You can tell that AEDM isn't just about one thing, at least not for me.  It's about a lot of little things, like dyeing fabric, sewing art quiltlets, creating Christmas tip-ins, making my Christmas gifts, and photography. I was delighted to see some of my art friends also joining in this year, too.

___________________________________________________

Now that you've seen mine, it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.












Of course, I am also joining AEDM.

22 thoughtful remarks:

kathyinozarks said...

Happy second on the 2nd-I really enjoyed reading about all of your art adventures. I am not familiar with this event-but would be interesting to visit and see what everyone is doing. I have thought that instagram would be a neat social median site with all the photography but it is only for those with smart phones-no desk top computers.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of wonderful art again, have a fun month, Valerie

johanna said...

so nice to see your AEDMs in a mosaic Review.
like you, i regret that comment functions are not open for me as a "Blogger only"... and i´m not willing to join one of These media.
anyway, i´m sure we´ll have fun! xox

chrissie said...

Wonderful to see all the work you have put into this project over the years Elizabeth.

Have agreat day

Love Chrissie xx

My name is Erika. said...

It is going to be fantastic to see all the things people are up to and always great to meet new people. I'm excited to play along and want to thank you for leading me in that direction. And it is fun to see all the art you've shared with this site in the last few years. Hope in your world it's not as dark and dreary a day as we have here. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
froebelsternchen said...

Happy second on the 2nd - I really enjoyed seeing your work and art for the past years for AEDM ! Your art adventures are the best and most interesting. Have fun this month dear ELizabeth! I am looking forward to what you will show!
Sorry that you had troubles with INLINKS - they have a new bad thing installed I fear ( tried anything to come to the ususal run ) - You are being redirected to the website in 5 seconds.... they say .. and you have to wait 5 seconds to arrive at the paricipant's site.
I think you and at least one other person had been no redirected at all...so sorry. Hope MrLinky will not also add such a cyber-bullying. I changed to MrLinky now.
If this doesn't work for the future we have to rethink what we can do!
Maybe you can add "your" Mr.Linky or InLinks then to AJJ!?

Hope all works now for all participants at AJJ, at least for this month! I am not willing to upgrade these tools to get better comfort. It's enough work with the challenges - I won't pay extra for them-lol!

Have a great Friday , hope you feel completely well again, hugs, Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

I love how your art arrays look like quilts. Happy arting!

sheila 77 said...

You must have spent ages putting these year-patchworks together, what a hard-working artist you are, Elizabeth. There is so much artistic beauty there.
Happy "Second" day even although I am not contributing this time.
Love to you and the boys,
Sheila

Meggymay said...

I loved seeing all your art and other projects here today Elizabeth. I can so many wonderful photos.
I remember you sharing AEDM posts and regret not asking about them at the time.
However I signed up and am looking forward to this month.
Yvonne xx

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

So glad that you made the collages, even though I am sure it was quite time consuming! Great to see all the artwork together like an exhibit.

-Soma

RO said...

This is a really great idea that I bookmarked because it allows me to see all your fabulous art over the years in one place, just like a collage. Love it, love it! Hugs...RO

Eileen Bergen said...

Your 7th year? That's really impressive, Elizabeth. This is a fascinating way to look back over your "body of work" and how your art interests have changed. Collages for the month are the perfect way to share them.

Your rocking horse from 2016 really caught my eye. Outstanding! So many pretty and interesting things.

Happy Second on the 2nd! Eileen xox

Divers and Sundry said...

What a variety!

I'm on Facebook and Google + but none of the others, and they're closing Google + down. It must make it interesting when there are so many different platforms to move around in.

TammyVitale said...

Wow - that's quite the trip down memory lane!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, that is a great collection of projects and what an interesting way to look back at them. Have a lovely creative weekend, Angela xXx

Jeanie said...

Your collages always blow me away. What a fabulous body of work and in such a short time. I admire your diligence and talent.

Eileen Bergen said...

Thank you for your comment on my secret box book. You're incredible! A 2000 page 3-section box book - wow! I thought of a jigsaw (which I don't have), but how do you keep it the correct depth? I had to sand the edges too. It's pretty rough cutting inside a book like that. If you have a photo, you should really show that altered book on the 2nd. It sounds fabulous!!! Eileen xox

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I also had not heard of AEDM I really must investigate this more. Not being a FB user anymore there seems to be so many chapters hidden away just waiting to be discovered..
Love how you collage your months such a great way to document, makes me wish I had continued with my very first blog site I set up all those years ago when I was testing how it all worked, there would indeed be a few more years added to my blog years.
It's wonderful to be able to glance back and see all your ideas and creative makes Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing.
Sunday Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Thank you for your kind hearted wishes they mean a lot x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sorry I couldn't make it this time! I loved seeing your mosaics of your AEDM though! Such am amazing variety! You really are such an inspiration! Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lot of art to see …
Brilliant!

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

wow, that´s a LOT!
Thanks for the visit and nice to see you too.

I have been busy thois week as I did hang an Exibition at the ligrary this Monday. But now thins is a bit calmer. :)