Saturday, September 6, 2008

When at first you don't succeed

On August 22, I tried a background technique that failed. I asked what my readers thought I did wrong and what I should do to correct it. Belinda suggested using color wash rather than pigment ink. So, I tried again today and got these results.
As you can see, I managed to get the resist I was unable to get on my last batch. I used regular CS and spritzed on Color Washes (Butterscotch, Raisin, and Bottle). The Butterscotch didn't want to spritz, so I used a brush to spread it around. I decided to use the brush in certain areas of the other colors, too.
So, what changed from experiment 1 to experiment 2?

1. I left the hot iron in place and counted to three (one-one thousand, etc.).
2. I used color washes instead of pigment ink.

Not certain which of these contributed to the success of this background, but I have to say I am thrilled that it finally worked to my satisfaction and expectation.

2 thoughtful remarks:

Dianne said...

Elizabeth-
woohoo! great job...I agree that these are more successful, but the first ones weren't that bad...could probably make some good backgrounds from them...but the details & texture on these are lovely!
Dianne

Linda Manning Findley said...

Looks good "E" and I bet it will work with pigment inks now that you aren't holding the iron down to long .... Linda F