Friday, September 5, 2008

August swaps and how I dealt with them

In August, I hosted two 4 X 4 swaps: napkins and maps. The idea was to use napkins and maps as either the background, the embellishments or both. I made three sets of each and enough for each player in the group. I knew that there would not be enough of either swap to make a completed book, so decided to combine them, with the idea of adding more swaps as they occurred. However, when I finished assembling the book, it was full. Of course, I can always change the 1" rings with larger ones if I choose to add more swaps in the future.
The outside cover was made using a really cool magazine page. I printed the words "Potpourri: A compendium of swaps," then embossed the printed words, since the printer ink just sat on the slick magazine paper. Although you probably can't see it, since my camera doesn't do a very good job of picking up subtle colors, I used both terra cotta and gold embossing powders on the words. Incidentally, I used my Crop-a-dile to punch the holes, one at a time.
This photo shows the inside front cover, which documents the two swaps and their dates that are in the book. I left room for more swaps that could be added at a later time.


The right side is the divider for the napkin swap. I covered heavy card stock with a napkin and added a die cut name divider with the word "napkin" written on both sides.
This is the divider for the map swap. The divider reads "Map." I used a file folder holder and glued a map piece to it. The slits were there, and I slit them to add the name tag.
Here is a photo of the book open. You can see how colorful it is.
And finally, here is the book from the top. The back (which I forgot to photograph) has the same background as the front, both inside and out. I still need to add ribbons to the rings, then this book can go on display in my living room.

2 thoughtful remarks:

Halle said...

You did a fine job with them!

Iowa Sunshine said...

Wow! What i wouldn't give to just have one of your masterpieces in my hands to see for real! They look so nice in the photos. Your mind is really creative. =)