Monday, February 12, 2024

T Stands For Mardi Gras

 

Another party, this time Carnival in New Orleans, but also celebrated in South America, Trinidad, and Tobago.

  If you are visiting T time on Monday, welcome to Shrove Monday, also known as Lundi Gras.  The Monday before Ash Wednesday is popularly called Shrove Monday.  The three days before Ash Wednesday are also known as "Shrovetide," starting with Quinquagesima Sunday and ending on Shrove (or Fat) Tuesday, known more popularly as Mardi Gras.  

On the day before Mardi Gras which hearkens back to 1874, Rex, the King of Carnival, arrives by boat at the riverfront.  The King and his royal court travel from the river to City Hall where the mayor and various city officials present Rex with the keys to the city and grant him temporary control and rule of the city beginning at sunrise on Mardi Gras morning.

If, however, you are visiting on T Tuesday, welcome to Fat Tuesday, also known as Mardi Gras.  Note the colors.  Purple represents Justice. Green represents Faith. Gold represents Power.  Legend has it that Rex, King of the carnival, selected the official Mardi Gras colors, although the reason behind this decision appear to be vague.

  This T Tuesday post was originally created in 2016.  You can see I've included a couple of good luck babies which are normally baked in a King Cake at 375 F (190.6 C), so they are quite comfy in this luke warm tea.


Do you have the Mardi Gras spirit?  Will "Fat Tuesday" be the day before you fast?  Whether you celebrate Mardi Gras or not, please share your T stories below.  Feel free to show your King Cakes, plastic baby dolls, or beads.  The photos don't have to be taken on Tuesday, and it's fairly obvious, they can even be taken from your archives, as mine have been today.  Please use the direct link to your T post, not your blog, so we can find you easily.  And, celebrate it or not, have a great Mardi Gras.  Be sure to visit your fellow T Tuesday participants, too, please.


 

 

26 thoughtful remarks:

Tom said...

...thanks, I never knew the history of Mardi Gras.

Violetta said...

I visit you on Lundi Gras, tomorrow the carneval ends ...here we call it "Faschingsdienstag"- carnevals tuesday- in Germany they celebrate the "Rosenmontag" monday of roses more...as you can see in my post we had a carneval ball gig with the motto "Fairytale Forest"...a good opportunity to dress up as witch....
Have a good time
Violetta

Violetta said...

....and I forgot: Happy T-day

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed your post, as I really don't know that much about Mardi gras. our wisconsin friends did just come back from a vacation in that area, as they had never been there, but came home before the big holiday. thanks for sharing hugs

Mae Travels said...

So many traditions for the last days before Lent, in so many places you mentioned, in Europe and so on. Many cities celebrate in their own way, but very often with costumes and parades — and always special foods that will be prohibited in Lent. Sometimes it’s even called Pancake Day because making pancakes uses up the butter and eggs that wouldn’t be allowed. I’ve always wantd to see the competitions of running a race while flipping pancakes, which are a tradition in some towns in England.

Have a great day!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I forgot it was Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday, so you'll have to deal with the post I prepared. :( There's just too much going on this week isn't there? With Superbowl Sunday, Valentine's Day, and in my life, a bunch of birthdays, it's almost too much. But I did enjoy your Mardi Gras post. And isn't Shrove Tuesday pancake day? I was thinking about pancakes today, so maybe tomorrow I'll make some for my lunch. That will be my celebration.I hope you not only have a great T but also a Happy Mardi Gras too. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Those babies scare me off every time, Elizabeth!
Braunschweig was participating this weekend, too! Glad we're in Perth ;-)
Happy T-Day!

Halle said...

Hope all is well with you my friend!

My name is Erika. said...

That's a fun fact about the pancake completion. Even though I don't live in England or Liberal, KS, I now to definitely make pancakes tomorrow. Happy T day again.

DVArtist said...

I didn't know wha the colors stand for. Thanks for that and for my lovely cards today. It was such a lovely surprise. Have ahappy day today.

Carola Bartz said...

Carnival is a big tradition in Germany, especially in the more Catholic parts. Rosenmontag and Faschingsdienstag (the "shrove" days) are the most important days, but in some parts of Germany some of the days before that are also interesting. We often call carnival the fifth season and it begins on November 11th at 11:11. Where I come from, we also celebrate Weiberfasnet (women's carnival) on the Thursday before Mardi Gras - that's it when women rule. It's a fun day! Happy T day, Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

Christine said...

Happy Mardi Gras

Lisca said...

How are you Elizabeth? I do hope your health is improving.
What a lot of parties one after the other! Super Bowl, Lunar New Year, Mardi Gras and Valentines Day. A form of Mardi Gras is celebrated here. Parades and children in fancy dress. Young sweethearts celebrate Valentine’s Day ( restaurants are fully booked).
In England, they have pancake day, and I will be cooking pancakes today as I lived in the Uk for many years, it’s still on my radar.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Valerie-Jael said...

Here carnival is celebrated in many towns, including Duesseldorf! Sorry I can't join in today, I'm busy getting ready for the clinic. Take care, hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

Happy Pancake Day! I won't be having them though, too much effort to get to the kitchen at the moment( see my post) as for fasting, I might be doing quite a bit of that unintentionally, though I do fast regularly anyway. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Jeanie said...

Happy Mardi Gras!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm still with my new grandbaby (so sweet), and I'm accessing my online life via my phone. I can't comment on most blogs using my phone for some reason, but I'm thinking of y'all as I have my morning coffee. My son-in-law is allergic to coffee, and my daughter uses one of those one-cup-at-a-time Keurig machines. I've never seen one of those in person, but it suits their needs.

Jenn Jilks said...

I forgot about that!
We can't have pancakes, due to JB's allergies. :'(

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu and squiggles…make sure ya give up
bass turd turkee burd for lent 😼😺‼️💙🐟

Rita said...

I didn't know about the history or the meaning of the colors, either. I don't celebrate it, but it has always looked like a crazy-wild celebration!

Darla said...

Thank you for the bit of history. I don't really follow Mardi Gras but I do have quite a bunch of beads a friend sent me from the parade on year.

I just squeeked in for tea this Tuesday. It is only 1:35 pm at my house though.

MELODY JACOB said...

Thank you for the warm welcome to Shrove Monday and Fat Tuesday, also known as Lundi Gras and Mardi Gras! It's fascinating to learn about the traditions surrounding these festive days leading up to Ash Wednesday.


I am inviting you to read my new blog post.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Interesting facts, some of which I had forgotten! Today I made a double amount of batter than usual and we had Ham and Cheese pancakes with salad for lunch and there was enough to make some pancakes for dessert at dinner time. Although it is Shrove Tuesday here in England shops advertise ingredients for Pancake Day. The religious aspect has been lost entirely. Take care, Happy T Day, hugs Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

Great piece. Let's here it for Fat Tuesday.

Barwitzki said...

It was a wonderful Carnival Tuesday yesterday. We have a big tradition here with carnival... it starts on November 11th. at 11.11 a.m. - is interrupted by the entire Christmas season - and the highlights are Rose Monday and Shrove Tuesday... happy greetings from Viola

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely post ...

And many thanks for your recent comments on the low carb diabetic.

Yes, the pancake race Olney v Liberal Kansas was a close result wasn't it.
I have put the results (copied here) in the comments section of my Pancake Day post.
INTERNATIONAL PANCAKE RACE RESULT

Olney v Liberal Kansas

Pamela Bolivar wins the Liberal Leg and the International Race with a time of 1:03.03.

Kaisa Larkas of Olney ran 1:03.37.

Many congratulations to Pamela

https://www.pancakeday.net/

Wishing you happy days.

All the best Jan