Saturday, February 10, 2024

Chinese New Year is here

 

Chinese New Year (also known as Lunar New Year) begins today with the Spring Festival.  Think New Year's eve, New Year, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day all rolled into this 15-17 day party.  It is the most important holiday in China and and many other Asian communities.  It is an annual 15 day festival that begins with the new moon which lies between Jan. 21 and Feb. 20.  The festival lasts until the following full moon.  Many Asian countries celebrate all or part of Chinese New Year, but the Chinese celebrate the longest because their holiday lasts from Feb. 10 to Feb. 17.  

For this event, I have created a tip-in.

Side 1 covers the Spring Festival which begins today.  Of course, I have a few detail shots to share.  As you can tell, this is the Year of the Dragon.




In case you need a translation, this is the Year of the Emerald Green, Male, Wood, Dragon.

Side 2 covers the Lantern Festival, which concludes the festival beginning on February 24. This is Year 4721 to 4722.  Detail shots follow.





Because the Lantern Festival signifies light, I am sharing this with Vicki of Stamped Smiles, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.
 
Have a wonderful Chinese New Year.  Thanks ever so much for stopping by.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.
 

 

21 thoughtful remarks:

craftytrog said...

Fabulous pages to celebrate the Chinese New Year Elizabeth. You used some great pieces of collage, lots of recycling no doubt.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Alison

kathyinozarks said...

enjoyed your post

Tom said...

...wow, year 4721!

My name is Erika. said...

Fun Chinese (or Asian) New Year pages. And adding the lantern page is perfect for Vicki's challenge. And a fun take on light too. I do like your dragon. Happy Year of the Dragon to you, and happy weekend too. Hope you're feeling better too. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a fun and festive page. I love that dragon.

Christine said...

Happy Chinese New Year to all who celebrate!

Rita said...

The Lantern Festival's main attraction is the light. Besides the dragon this year, of course. Happy New Year! :)

Iris Flavia said...

To celebrations! This is fun art!
I only hope the dragons do not go at me again here in Perth ;-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I used to like having this theme when teaching. I had lots of Asian students. We celebrated lots of festivals with one another.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I ordered decorations for the Lunar New Year for our office (the Grad School), but sadly they won't arrive until Tuesday! I'm going to put them up along with some paper lanterns I already have, for our Asian students. I like to decorate for all the different cultures. Our Indian students were so happy when we decorated for Diwali, it helped take the edge off their homesickness. I say, any excuse to decorate and have snacks around! I love your pages. I especially love the use of the vivid pink! Gorgeous!

Jenn Jilks said...

I used to love Asian New Year in Toronto. There were tons and tons of people from different Asian communities. My girlfriend's father owned 5 Chinese food restaurants. I miss the multicultural experience of Toronto!

Lowcarb team member said...

This is such a fun and festive looking page.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

PS Hope you are feeling a little better.

All the best Jan

DVArtist said...

I love your tribute to the year of the Dragon. Have a very nice day today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous post and I really love your lantern page celebrating Light for Vicki's AJJ theme! I hope you are beginning to feel better. Hugs, Chrisx

Cloudia said...

Oh very Nice!!! Best wishes for the year!

*Vicki* said...

What a gorgeous layout for Year of the Dragon! The colors are so bright and fun! The lanterns are always so pretty the way they are designed! A Fabulous idea for this month's theme at AJJ! Thanks for sharing your lovely details and playing along with my "light" theme, friend!

Jeanie said...

This is fun! Happy New Year, Elizabeth!

Matilde said...

This dragon is cool! Very nice page 🤗

DVArtist said...

I absolutely love this post. It makes my dragon heart happy. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

Fundy Blue said...

I had to google tip-in. You created a great one for CNY, Elizabeth. Love the dragon! I've been enjoying CNY here in Honolulu. Have a happy and healthy week!