Thursday, November 2, 2023

Second on the 2nd: Nature inspired

 

As many of you who frequent my blog know, whenever possible, I like my Second Look to somehow reflect what our current host at Art Journal Journey is featuring.  That means I had to look for something that reflected Nature, which Jo from Let's Art Journal, our host this month has chosen.  

This post is from March 15, 2016 when I was honored to be the guest designer for that fortnightly challenge at Try It on Tuesday, or TioT.  Here it is in its entirety.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiM_LQjyXoKUXyEq88SSUowOg5hmohp75qi-qB8Ue3xguXFYdyCzBwYUAlPVkrViDcWPAl_XJ-rxjOlWvkO_gROTGoNw7-7S55_a7ifWMvu0B1XWfXQkNBOVRWSdYZFSso6SQjihQ/s1600/Bird+in+spring.JPG  The latest challenge is Nature Inspired and is right up my ally.  Let's look at the details of my completed Nature Inspired project.

  I began by cutting a bird

  from a dictionary page with the definition of the word "bird" as part of the image.

   I used three different colors of blue to create the background sky on a hard-back book cover.

   My friend Chris, who is also a member of the Try it on Tuesday design team, gifted me with all the stamps I used in this project.

  I stamped each butterfly twice, using different ink each time.

  It took three days to create the nest.

  I used various threads, yarns, and wrappers from HUGS chocolates 

  and built it up layer by layer.

  I added the branch (found in my yard) so the nest would have something to sit on.

  A butterfly decided to land on the limb, too. 

  Here's another shot of the nest, showing the fibers and yarns I used. 

  I had some rusty paper from which I cut leaves.  I also stamped three butterflies on the rusty paper and folded one in half to sit on the branch.

  I was really out of my comfort zone when I stamped the words on the background.

  However, I was extremely happy with the way the butterflies turned out.

  Here is my nature inspired bird in a spring nest sitting on my easel.

I'd like to once again thank the DT at Try It on Tuesday for inviting me to be their guest designer for the next two weeks.  And I want to thank everyone for your visit and continued support of my art.  Now, please join me at Try It on Tuesday with your nature inspired art any time in the next two weeks.

________________________________________________________________________

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.



    


13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

That is a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y gorgeous.

Valerie-Jael said...

I remember this lovely piece with the bird on its best and the butterflies, very pretty! Hope you are feeling better! Happy 2nd on the 2nd! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I'm not sure if I remember this piece or not, but the cool nest looks very familiar. I like how you added all that texture. It's a lovely page, and a perfect second on the second piece. Hope you're having a nice week. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I like the newsprint red bird. Nice! And the colorful floss next is a wonderful idea!

Tom said...

...there can never be too many butterflies.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the texture!

Darla said...

This piece if very colorful and I like all the details. The fiber nest is perfect.

Christine said...

Lovely

Jenn Jilks said...

This really is wonderful. Well done.

Rita said...

I especially love the beautiful, colorful nest!! :) :)

Caty said...

Absolutely Gorgeous page Elizabeth ! I loove the beautiful design, the background is incredible, and the textures wonderful. You have put a lot of lovely threads. Love the butterflies all aroung and the cute red bird. Bravo !!
I wish you a great weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

craftytrog said...

Beautiful art Elizabeth! I love the texture of the nest.
Alison

lichazul said...

great page , congrats ☺️💐 have a great day