Tuesday, October 3, 2023

What's On Your Workdesk this 748th Wednesday?

 

It's Wednesday, which means it's time to join my dear friend and head desker Julia at Stamping Ground for the latest edition of What's On Your Workdesk, Wednesday, or as most know, WOYWW for short.   

 Before we begin, I want to apologize for this extremely LONG post.   I know Julia likes it short and sweet and normally I try to comply.  But that isn't the case today. 

Most of my long term readers know I was raised from birth by my grandparents.  Just wanted to get that out of the way in case it was news to you.

Today my desk is on my dining room table.  I've always said my entire house is my craft space, so here goes.

I'm going to get the obligatory rocking horse out of the way first.  Function is key for this

napkin holder.  Most of my cast iron is functional, like the door stop I shared last week.

One more look and it's back to the kitchen where it dispenses paper napkins.  Cloth napkins are used in the dining room.

Some of you remember I fell from trying to remove a box from a shelf in my guest bedroom.  I also mentioned I had received a very thoughtful gift which I had not yet photographed.  It was sent to me by Angela of Crafting with Jack.  I couldn't believe she was giving this book away and no one had asked for it.  I was happier than anyone can possibly imagine.

This is not a "normal" or "traditional" Sunbonnet Sue quilt.  

Instead, as you saw, this is an International Sunbonnet Sue quilt.  I hope you can read all the countries and symbols associated with International Sue.

This explains about International Sunbonnet Sue,

while this shows the first of the patterns you can make yourself.

Now, however, it was time to show why that book meant/means so much to me and why I'm going to cherish it.  I have my very own Sunbonnet Sue quilt, made for me by my grandmother.  She told me it was made from all the dresses she made me in kindergarten.

I was a tomboy.  I wanted nothing to do with girls in my neighborhood, because I was my grandfather's little helper.  My grandmother tried to correct that by making dresses for me.  I was probably the best dressed girl in kindergarten from the looks of all these fabrics.  But take a closer look.  Each and every stitch was by hand.

You may not be able to see it because the quilt needs to be ironed, but even the quilting is by hand.


I had to break this quilt into quarters to photograph it because it is big.

As you can see, I used it for years and years before I finally decided it was worth saving.  There are stains I was unable to remove and a few stitches have come undone due to my carelessness.

I can't possibly imagine wearing all those dresses to school, but there is the proof.

EDIT: I just counted and there are six across and nine down, which means there are 54 Sunbonnet Sues in my quilt. 

I'm not sure you can see the quilting, but it is at a diagonal.  I want to thank Angela one more time for the book which I will cherish more than she (or probably anybody) will know.  And I also appreciate my grandmother for her hand sewing skills.  I'm sure a few of you seamstresses and quilters will appreciate this post.

Thanks for stopping by my dining room table today.  Please join me at Julia's, where you will meet the kindest, most generous bloggers in the world.  I know that for a fact!!!


31 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

What a totally precious gift - commemorated by another awesome gift. I totally understand why you will cherish that book. The quilt is a stunner too - even without all the meaning and love packed into every stitch.

Helen said...

How kind of Angela to send you the book, and it obviously means so much to you. What a fab quilt, too. Happy WOYWW helen #?

Sarah Brennan said...

A beautiful and much cherished quilt Elizabeth - I can see why the book means so much to you too. Stay safe and Happy WoYWW. Sarah #?

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh, awwww.... So cute, such a treasure!

And weee, I can so relate! OK, so "tomboy" is the word for me? LOL. Took me over 50 years to learn this!
Wish we had quilts and no, do not try to talk me into going for this.
Stains mean love and life, so don´t you worry, your Grandmother sure sits up there and smiles big (this is my Brother´s point of view, he believes firmly our loved ones are there somehow and look/watch over us!).

A wonderful book, too.

BJ said...

Oh what a beautiful memory quilt. Never heard of Sun Bonnet Sue, but she reminds me of Holly Hobbie, how super that Angela could send you the book. And all those dresses too WOW. BJ#?

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I bet you were in tears when the book arrived. How kind of her to send it to you. We have some lovely friends here don't we. Have a lovely week and a happy woyww. Hugs, Angela x1x

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh Elizabeth, youve made me a bit teary, what an absolutely beautiful quilt, inheritance, legacy, memory...call it what you will, every stitch is filled with love and it must have been a huge undertaking for your Grandma. No wonder Angela's book struck such a chord, the two most definitely belong together, no doubt. I haven't heard of sun bonnet sue before now, but am now on the look out, another nugget of beautiful to tick into my brain for when I need a smile. Thank you so much for sharing...precious!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

What a great post. A perfect treasure. My grandmother had made a quilt with this pattern and I always loved it.SUN BONNET SUE, she always mentioned that. I spent a lot of time there as it was close by and she needed help with grandpa, (crippled from arthritis:) I don't know what happened to that quilt, but I loved the fabric used for the red/blue dresses. THANKS for Sharing. brought back so many memories for me. Isn't if great how some things just fall into place.

Lynnecrafts said...

What a wonderful quilt and memory. There’s such love in every stitch. It was lovely of Angela to send you the book as well.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 15 xxx

Tracy said...

Beautiful post Elizabeth filled with cherished memories and a quilt filled with such love and detail by your Grandmother ⭐️ treasure it is ... so so special and beautiful ❤️ That book was meant to come to you from Angela ⭐️ I hope you're not so sore this week 🙏 hugging you close,it's been a joy to read your post. Love and hugs Tracy #12 xxxx

Neet said...

That really is a quilt to be treasured. How opportune was that that Angela had the book to give away - it probably went to the best home it could have and I hope it now brings as much pleasure as the quilt.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Christine said...

What a wonderful quilt . . . she must have spent hours, stitching along with all her happy memories . . . there will be many as I made all my girls dresses when they were little. I think the love comes through even in your photos . . .
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful creation
Enjoy your week
Christine #17

My name is Cindy said...

What a gorgeous quilt - and hand sewn! Amazing must have taken hours a real labour of love. Angela's book couldn't have gone to a better place. I haven't heard of sunbonnet Sue but I love her little clogs!! The napkin holder is lovely too. Your home is truly full of treasures. Have a good week, love n hugs, Cindy xx #14

Lunch Lady Jan said...

What a beautiful quilt and the story behind it, thank you so much for sharing it with us. It just goes to show that it’s not gold or diamonds that are the true treasures in life but instead the love sewn into those 54 Sunbonnet Sues and the whole quilt - each stitch a kiss. Thank you xx
HUgs LLJ 10 xx
PS I was a complete tomboy too, climbing trees, always on my bike, permanently dirty with scabby knees, lol!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely quilt, what a clever grandmother you had. I would have loved to see you in one of those dresses!. I never had shorts or jeans, always dresses, skirts etc. I bought my first trowsers when I went to university! Hugs, Valerie
I hope you don't have to sit on the naughty step because your post is too long!!

CJ Kennedy said...

You Sun Bonnet Sue quilt is such a treasure. Lucky you to still have something your grandmother made for you. The dresses she made for you must have been adorable, too.

Tom said...

...I remember Sub Bonnet Sue!

Crafting With Jack said...

I am happy that you love the book. Your grandmother’s quilt is an amazing treasure and must hold many happy memories for you.
Happy WOYWW. Angela #9

Jenn Jilks said...

That is just wonderful!
I remember my grandmother's needlework. Mine is so messy. I still have a quilt.
Lovely!

Rostrose said...

Dear Elizabeth,
I am totally touched - by the beautiful Sunbonnet Sue blanket that your grandmother made for you, by the wonderful quilt book that you received as a gift - and how perfectly the two fit together! WOW!
Your rocking horse napkin holder is also a showpiece!
Hugs, all the best and happy October days
Traude
🍁🌻🍂 🌻🍁
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/10/straenkunst-und-gartenlust.html

Lindart said...

That is an amazing quilt - I can't imagine doing all that, by hand, and making all your little dresses as well! What fabulous memories! My grandmother never made anything for me, but for my daughter she made a set of doll clothes that will soon be going to her great-great granddaughter Jasper! I hope she's watching from above! I love that rocking horse napkin holder! Sweet! Have a great week, Lindart #19

Divers and Sundry said...

Pretty flowers!

My grandmother made one of these sunbonnet girl quilts for Mother back long ago. It's a real treasure.

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, what a wonderful gift and so kind of your friend to be giving it away. Especially when you consider, the blanket your grandmother made from your kindergarten dresses which is amazing and so beautifully sewn 😊. I'm in awe of all the love that must have been poured into each stitch to produce this sentimental keepsake, how lovely ❤️. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Christine said...

I enjoyed your post, pretty quilting. I like that your work desk is anywhere and all over the house, why not.

craftytrog said...

A great post Elizabeth. What a treasure that beautiful quilt is.

Rita said...

That quilt is a treasure!! :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I did enjoy this post. Such a beautiful and treasured quilt.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

Funny how (I believe you have said) that you prefer dresses now and as a kid you were a tomboy. I do remember when I was in kindergarten it was usual for girls to wear dresses. In fact I seem to remember that until almost jr. high. I'm not familiar with the sunbonnet quilt, but it is so pretty. I love how it was hand stitched and made with your kindergarten dresses. Your grandmother was very talented, and you must really cherish this. And you must have had some really cute dresses too. And a lot of them. This was a fun post my friend. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

This is SO NOT a long post! That quilt is wonderful (I would have a hard time with those dresses, too!) and I really do love those flowers on your table. What a treasure to have something so lovingly made by someone you loved so much -- and using your own dresses. That's unbelievably lovely.

Sandra Cox said...

That quilt is so very special. I have one made by my grandmother that I used and the edges are frayed. I need to find someone to fix it.
Take special care.

Spyder said...

The quilt is amazing and what a great book, lucky you! I'm sure I have a Sun-bonnet Susie stamp somewhere, she's sooo cute and yes, your comment came through, I was just out doing things everywhere and didn't get around to posting them. If I do it on my phone, I'm scared of deleting them instead of posting them as the writing is sooooo small! Love the rocking horse too, how cool is that! Have a Happy Late WOYWW!? ((Lyn))#20