Tuesday, September 5, 2023

What's On Your Workdesk this 744th Wednesday?

 

Once again it's time to pay homage to Julia at Stamping Ground, our wonderful host and Queen desker by showing what's on our desks, tables, or floor. 

Before we begin, I need to let everyone know my electric company has informed me they will be replacing my meter sometime this Wednesday morning.  My electricity will be off for a minimum of four hours while it is being replaced.  

Julia likes to keep things short and sweet, but today she can blame Jan (LLJ) who wants to see my largest rocking horses.

This lovely rocker lives on my front porch.  Two small children or one older child can sit in it and rock it back and forth.  Right Minutes before I took this photo, one of my wind chimes fell and broke.  You can see the remains that I haven't yet removed.

This horse sits in my main floor bath.  It is definitely large and children (and I confess I also) have ridden on it, too.





This leads to an unexpected and unplanned second collection, which I didn't start.

I used to live in Webb City, Missouri (USA), which was known as the Cardinal City.  All of a sudden, people started giving me cardinals, then other birds.  My entire parlor was filled with birds (mostly cardinals).  Here in Wichita, everything is crowded into my main floor bath!

My final large horse is also the heaviest.  It weighs a ton because it is solid metal.  It stands a little over three feet (91.44 cm or 0.9144 m) tall.  In the back on the highboy is a grotesque object given me by a friend who thought I would LOVE this horrible piece of art.  She even placed my grandfather's hat on it.  She died of cancer recently, and I have simply been unable to remove the art, no matter how much I hate it!


Now you've seen my three largest rocking horses, Jan.  Sorry you asked?

I finished the wood piece I had just sanded last week.  I had trouble getting everything in focus.





I also started another piece.  Not sure how I will cover those holes in the wood, but I realize this is definitely NOT finished.  Also not sure why I didn't mask the background, but I guess I thought I didn't need to.

Sorry this is such a long post.  I know Julia wants it short and sweet, but that wasn't going to happen when I showed my three large rocking horses.  Thanks, too, for joining Bleubeard and me today. Messy or neat, lots of products or next to none, you will get an idea of what other artists are keeping on their tables, benches, desks, and floors! 


33 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I love your rockers - big and small.
I so understand keeping things you don't like because someone who matters gave them to you as well.
My work desk is boring. And untidy. It is cluttered with paperwork I NEED to file.

Sandra Cox said...

I love that metal rocking horse.
Thanks for thinking of Ro and I. Our bakery had a cake designed to look like a cheeseburger. Definitely reminded me of Ro:) Heh.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Great looking rocking horse.
Coffee is on, and stay safe

Tom said...

...I must say that at the moment my desk looks quite neat.

BJ said...

sorry Elizabeth the comment problem might have been my fault as I was updating my page as one of the photos was a ghost one which didn't enlarge when clicking on it. must go to bed now will look at your post tomorrow it's 2.32am here. BJ#6

Helen said...

I understand why you can't move the piece of art..maybe one day! Have a good WOYWW Helen #1

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry about your wind chime-desaster. Reminds me - I forgot to take ours outside (it´s so loud, I always take it back in when we go.
I love the metal rocking horse!
Oh, so sorry you feel you have to keep that ugly furniture.
That dotted seashell I have also. From Broome, Western Australia, 1999. And I admit... we didn´t know back then, wee also took corals.... (don´t tell).
That woodwork is great, too, one can dream of clothes to be attached. Clever.

Sarah Brennan said...

What fabulous rocking horses Elizabeth. Love the finished wood piece. Look forward to seeing how the second one ends up. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #8

Anne said...

Love the rocking horses! Oh dear re the piece of artwork, I would feel the same way though. Take care. Anne x 13

Christine said...

I have a largish Triang rocking horse . . over the years he's lost his ears . . . he lives in the garden but is in the chicken house at the mo while work is carried out. Every now and then I wave to him and think of you . . . sad I am!
Love that large brass horse, how beautiful! I love brass for ornaments.
Take care
Christine #16

nwilliams6 said...

Fabulous rocking horses, Elizabeth! That metal one is really cool!!! Hugz

Neet said...

I know how you feel about not being able to remove that piece of art. I cannot bring myself to delete the emails from friends who have passed, or their phone numbers from my phone.
On a happier note, I love the large rocking horses. My favourite is the metal one, he is magnificent and wow so heavy. Bet he stays where he is because of the weight.
Good idea to use the one in the bathroom to hold your other treasures.
Do either of the cats ever sit on the one in the porch?
Hugs, Neet xx 7

My name is Erika. said...

Lovely lovely rocking horses. And you have some big ones.And I had to smile at your bird book. I have that bird book. Mine is in such tough shape that I have started using it as a cut out book, which feels rather sacrilege. And cool looking new art. I think I would leave those holes in the wood. They are interesting. Hope you're week is going well. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the large, metal rocking horse. Your certainl have a lot! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's always a pleasure to see your rocking horses, it's a great collection. Nice to see the big ones but I love the tiny one with it's rider too. Look forward to seeing your new project develop. I looked back at my photographs and I can see the toes too Lol! Wishing you a very happy and creative WOYWW. Hugs Angela x15x

Lynnecrafts said...

I love your rockers, particularly the large metal one. I hope your electric’s back on now. We had a new meter this morning and he was done in half an hour. We forgot to ask to see the readings on the old meter. Fingers crossed he records it.
I love your work with the lucky cowrie shell.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 2xx

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't really use my basement desk!
I usually use the dining room table. I've lined up cleaning products to remind me what I should do today!

Crafting With Jack said...

Absolutely love that last rocking horse, it reminds me of my small metal horse I bought on holiday many years ago and still love. I am sorry to say I haven’t posted your book yet, but I am going to parcel it up now! Yes now! Happy WOYWW. Angela #3

Sandra Cox said...

Hope they fix that meter quickly (and effeciently:)

Mae Travels said...

Collecting is always fun, and even more fun when the collection is in someone else’s house! Most of my Mona Lisa collection is now boxed up so that other things (or nice empty spaces) can be on my shelves.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

Great rockers! There are so many different kinds.

Have you considered taking a photo of the art and using it in some of your own art? You'd still have it, but it wouldn't have to be up on the wall all the time.

Rita said...

That metal one is amazing! Wow! :)

Annie said...

I'm running very late today but at least I've made it :-)
Your large rocking horses are gorgeous...thanks for sharing them.
Hugs,
Annie x # 11

DVArtist said...

Your rocking horses always remind me of my mom. She loved rocking and merry-go-round horses. In fact she used to repair them. Oh I wrote to Sutterbug for you. Have a nice evening.

Kelly said...

Good morning, Elizabeth!
Wow! Those rockers are gorgeous. Moving that metal one must be a beast to move when you need to vacuum. Thanks for sharing. I love picture heavy posts with short explanations ;-) I owe you a rocking horse picture. Totally forgot this week. Creative Blessings & hugs! Kelly #19

Lindart said...

Your rockers are wonderful! Kids must love coming to your place! My favourite though is the metal one - gorgeous! I have one large rocker that was given to my DD when she was little and now is ridden by Jasper, and maybe someday by her children! It is now officially an heirloom. Your Shell piece is lovely, I'm assuming it is all one piece? Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new project! Meows to Bleubeard and Squiggles from Mittsy and Inky! Lindart #20

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness Elizabeth 🥰 I'm in looooove with them to the point I might beeee swooning 🥰🐎 they are so special!!! Oh, to be able to pop along for a visit,to see them in person 🤩😍🤩 pure joy it would be!! When my laddies were wee my Mum and Dad commisioned my cousin to make one for them ... it was huuuuge 😁🥰 children adults alike would rock on it 🤸 it was passed on for others to enjoy as they grew older ... wrapped up in soecial memories it is. Thank you fir stopping by and for your lovely comments 😊 I'm right put of my comfort zone but looking forward to finishing the lessons for Louise's workshop 💟 Wishing you all good things with much love and hugs Tracy xxxx #10

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

The rocking horses are fab - such fun!

BJ said...

Oh my goodness, got a bit involved with the end of the acrylics course and seem to have signed up for a watercolour one too (wed-fri) and what with the heat and not sleeping even worse that usual, I'm only just emerging form all the stuff and the dust is settling.
Love your big rockers and not surprised you've had a go yourself. I certainly would, sorry to hear of the fallen wind chime, is it salvageable at all? We don't have cardinal birds here in the UK, they must be quite striking to see in the wild.
Loving your wood piece, the top shell looks like a Cornish Pastie, so funny for me. The dress form piece is coming along nicely, I wouldn't worry about the holes, adds interest, and the border is just fine, love the colours.
Hugs BJ#6 (again!)

Julia Dunnit said...

Fascinating Elizabeth! I love the big rocking horses, especially as the one on the bath holds another collection. I am, but Jan isnt a natural collector of anything, I think she finds our psyches rather fascinating! I once did a demo workshop at a store called Puffin Crafta and the great lady owner advised me to never admit to liking a ‘thing’ unless you seriously wanted to receive related things as gifts for the rest of your life. You will understand that. She says she had about six hundred puffin ornaments and was regretful!! Can’t say I yet regret my collections, and there are a couple!

My name is Cindy said...

Sorry I'm so late - had a few delays and working backwards this week. What a lovely tour around all your large rocking horses - quite the collection!! Couldn't zoom in enough to see the horrible work of art but made me smile, I have several horrible things I can't let go for sentimental reasons. From your comments I think we both dislike the GAUDY bling!! Hey ho, each to their own. Do you know what? I think I am going to love having Lionel for a whole week!! I shall be exhausted but it will be worth it. Have a good week, love n hugs Cindy xx

Kyla said...

wow they are large rockers and love that they are still ridden too. The cardinals are interesting too, had no idea Webb City was also known as that.
Thanks for visiting my desk already
kyla

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I’m sorry I missed this post last week, there was quite a lot going on with my husband’s health, but thank you for sharing your largest rocking horses, it was so interesting to hear about the how and why! That metal rocker is amazing and really does look heavy - I liked your bathroom rocker very much too, especially with the other collection on top! I noticed that Julia mentioned I wasn’t a collector! She’s absolutely right though I do have a few hare statues - that raises an interesting point, is there a minimum number of objects that you have to have before it’s classed as a collection?!
May you continue to add to yours and still receive joy from them all xx
Hugs LLJ xxxxx