Monday, September 4, 2023

T Stands For Black Tea

 

Happy Labor Day to all who live in the states and happy Labour Day to my Canadian friends.

I want to begin by apologizing for my really poor review of the Oolong tea last week.  I was still so sick from food poisoning, I was just totally out of it.  By "it," I mean I had no idea what I was doing when I wrote that review.  Had it not been for Amila's brilliant review, I would not have even known I had been sent four different types of Oolong.

To make matters worse, my very understanding contact, Zoey, who can be reached any time at zoey@iteaworld.com, explained the brew I reviewed:

is our Fenghuang Dancong.  This Dancong is our ancient tree tea. 1. This tea belongs to the category of traditionally roasted teas, with heavy roasting and fermentation. It has a good flavor, not too fragrant 2. The advantage of old tree tea is sweetness and good aftertaste, but the downside is its mildness. People who drink ancient tree tea less often might find it plain, tasteless, or light.

That certainly explains why I was unsatisfied with the taste of Fenghuang Dancong. 

I want to share this brochure that came with my tea.  You can scan the QR code or go to https://iteaworld.com/.  Alternately, you can go here: https://bit.ly/iteaworld.  I believe I scanned it so you can actually read it, if you choose.
 
 Here you can read the history of the company, which I found fascinating.
 
Today I'm reviewing black tea.  I received samples of four different types:

Yingde Black Tea (the tea I will be reviewing)
Yunnan Black Tea
Souchong Black Tea
Wild Souchong Black Tea 
 
Black tea is one of the most popular types of loose leaf tea. It goes through more oxidation during processing compared to other teas, which gives it a bold, robust flavor.
 
This is Yingde Black Tea.  I liked that it was from the modern high mountain tea gardens.
 
It was time to once again follow the rules for "kung fu tea."
 
I read this can be brewed up to seven times, but I only had enough bottled water for six brews.
 
One quick click of my camera and the water washing the tea was removed.  You can see the plastic vessel in the background that I will be using for the excess water.  In the upper right of the photo is the bottled water I used.  I removed the label so not to detract from the tea process.  I loved there were two distinct colors of the tea leaves.
 
Unlike last week, I didn't take photos of each time I brewed this tea.  Instead, I only took photos of the first and sixth brews before I removed the leaves from the tea.
 
Here is the tea after I have removed most of the leaves.  Sadly, you can see the view outside my dining room windows and overhead lights, too.
 
This is what it looked like as I was about to take my first sip.
 
This is all that's left of the tea.  I found this tea very refreshing and actually quite sweet.  It is too silky and sweet to add sugar or sweeteners, at least in my opinion.  If I were a consummate tea drinker, I would probably drink this quite often.
 
I still have three black and three Oolong teas to try, so over the next few months, I will be sharing these choices, too.  However, I first need to buy mineral water.  I hope a few of you will try these teas, as Zoey would like to give out more samples for an honest review of iTeaWorld tea.
 
I apologize for blogger.  It hates me today.  I tried and tried to left adjust all my photos, but all of a sudden, blogger chose to center adjust.  I even deleted the post and started over again, but this time, not only did I get center adjust on many of the photos, it also changed the font and the color of the font, rather indiscriminately.  I sincerely hope that won't distract from the review.
 
Now it's time to share your own drink related post.  Your photos don't have to be taken on Tuesday, but they should be somehow drink related.  Art, books, stories, or even a good pot of tea will be memorable when you link below and are visited by your fellow T community.
 

I'll be late visiting tonight because I am going to a bbq/picnic.  I'll drop by when I get home and most of you will be asleep.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

It looks rather complicated, and I hope the result is worth the effort. Can you tell the difference in the tastes of the various teas? Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

A very Happy T Day to you. And thank you for fighting blogger to bring us this fascinating information and review.

Linda said...

I hope you have a fun picnic. Sometimes Blogspot does not behave.

Tom said...

...Blogger continues to have hissy fits!

nwilliams6 said...

Have the fun of tea is figuring out how to make it just right and finding the teas that speak to us. This one looks and sounds very good. I never sweeten my teas but admit to putting milk in them which I know is worse. Wonder how cool a design those strained tea leaves would make on paper? Happy T-day and hope that blogger behaves better. Hugz

Amila said...

This is a fantastic review of black tea. I hope you had a great time with this black tea. The pictures say it all. And last week's review is not a poor review. It shares your honest ideas and experience with Oolong tea which is beneficial for readers. Thanks for sharing this post and looking forward to reading future tea reviews too.

My name is Erika. said...

How does this tea taste?I like reading about your process, but I'm not sure I'd want to take the time to go through this process. I'm curious to see how your other tea making processes are. But I will say, this is perfect post for T day. I hope you have a lovely long weekend. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

You really took a lot of trouble with that tea! I don't think I would have that much patience. I do wonder what blogger is doing to you as I have not noticed any unusual behavior lately.

I hope you enjoy your Labor Day BBQ! And thanks for hosting the Tuesday drinks.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cloudia said...

It's always lovely and instructive having a nice cup of tea with you. Thanks for having us in. Aloha!

Iris Flavia said...

Glad you´re finally through with the food-bug!
Interesting way to describe a tea as silky. And why is the temp in Celsius? (I like that! ;-)...)
As Nancy I put sometimes milk in mine, but never sweeten them.
Interesting reviews (the first one wasn´t bad, either!).

J said...

Hi Elizabeth, Pleased to see you are feeling better.
I always drink black tea with milk, I don't like the after taste from black tea and I wouldn't have the patience for the long way of making it.
We did once get given some expensive black tea by the manager of Peets Coffee House as he said being British we would appreciate a good cup of tea, they have a separate water boiler for tea he told us as it needs to be a certain temperature to brew the tea, we did drink some of it and it was better than most we've tasted black!
My husband also told the waiter in The Cheesecake Factory how to make tea as he came with lukewarm water without the teabag already in it, it was slightly coloured water.
Sorry for the long comment haha, have a lovely week and hope you enjoyed the BBQ
Jan S

Rita said...

I would probably like the Oolong tea because I prefer milder teas--lol! No tea connoisseur, though, by any means. Tea is only an occasional thing for me. Mostly a coffee girl--through and through. I think I love the ritual of tea more than the tea itself--LOL! ;)

DVArtist said...

This is a great post about this tea. I hope you are feeling better. I'm sorry you have had so much trouble with the food poisoning thing. Have a great day today.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you feel better...

Flavored teas are easy lol, but black teas tend to taste the same to me. I should do a side-by-side tasting comparison...

Happy T Tuesday!

CJ Kennedy said...

The process was interesting to see. I liked the coloration and the expanding leaves, but the whole process is too fussy for me. Enjoy your BBQ

Kate Yetter said...

Loved seeing your review of the black teas that you were sent. So glad you are recovered from your food poisoning.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy T Day wishes.
It's so frustrating when blogger plays up.
I hope you enjoyed your BBQ/picnic.

All the best Jan

Lisca said...

That sounds really interesting. I've never had a black tea that tasted sweet. I don't drink black tea because I find it bitter, but reading your leaflet, I must have been doing it all wrong.

Empire of the Cat said...

Nice to get free stuff, the tea looks good. Happy belated T Day! Elle/EOTC xx