Tuesday, August 29, 2023

What's On Your Workdesk this 743rd Wednesday?

 

It's Wednesday, which means it's time to join my dear friend and head desker Julia at Stamping Ground for the latest edition of What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday, or as most know, WOYWW for short.   

We've all more than likely heard the old adage "Garbage in, garbage out."

No matter how I tried to paint this press board, it was still garbage!  Between my aching back and food poisoning I got on Friday, I feel these are wasted boards.  I am giving up on garbage and
 
using some real wood.  Thankfully, the sanding is finished and I am ready to paint this.

Neet asked me how many rocking horses I have now.  Jan asked me what my largest ones are.  The last time I counted, I had over 480, but I have added a few since then.  I will share the largest ones next week, Jan.

I was also asked where I keep my rocking horses.  EVERYWHERE.  You won't go very far without seeing at least two or three.  Even my two baths have them.  They are in my kitchen, the bedrooms, the office, and both my craft room and basement art studio.  They are also in my laundry room.  Here are about a dozen, some of which I have shown in the past.







The mess at the bottom left is actually several of my completed altered books.

Thanks for stopping by my desk today.  Please join me at Julia's, where you will meet the kindest, most generous bloggers in the world.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, some things just don´t want to be art.... or are they?
Haha, I wonder more about all the rooms than the rocking horses you have! Two bathrooms? More than one bedroom?
A real laundry room, too! An office... wow! Craft room, studio... AND a garden?
I feel cramped here.

We have one bathroom without window. There is a sink and a shower.
A tiny toilet room. One bedroom, living room (my tiny corner and my workplace), Ingo´s room, the kitchen with the washing machine around the corner, balcony.
I think 480 rocking horses, if small, would make our condo go "bang!", LOL

Looking forward to what you will do with the wood.

Helen said...

yep, sometimes you just have to give up on an idea and adapt... that's a lot of rocking horses. Happy WOYWW Helen #2

Mae Travels said...

Great to see your display of rocking horses on that beautiful antique kitchen cabinet. The rocking horse teapot on the pedestal with a crocheted doily is the best!

I hope you are feeling fine!... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

BJ said...

What an amazing collection! Hope the new wood works better for you, sounds like the old ones needed some kind of sealer before paint. Who knows, I'm new to all this painting malarkey. Starting an art course tomorrow. Yikes. Hugs BJ#6

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh you're really in the wars this year E! Am so sorry about the food poisoning, I hope you know what it was so that you can avoid it in future. It makes you feel so washed out and tired, fighting that and a bad back still, I really wish you well and comfortable as soon as possible. Which leads me on to your lovely house and collection...my word, it must take some attention to keep it all looking so good! Loving the stack of books acting s a little table and the jardiniere holding the teapot rocking horse, what a lovely way to display them. Sorry you had trouble with the press board, maybe it just got too dry and adding a bit of moisture to it has made it behave very badly. Shouldn't have though. So enter the mother piece!! That's an impressive and scarey size if you ask me!!

Elephant's Child said...

You have had a rough time of it on the health front. I loved seeing more of your quirky rocking horses.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. Those pieces of wood nead sealing first with Gesso and then you will be able to paint them. Loving the rocking horses. Can't stay long today as we're on the move soon. In Whtby (home of the Goths) at the moment and then off to Matlock. Happy creative woyww, Angela x12x

Bertiebo said...

Aaah, such a wonderful collection. I love it!

Lynnecrafts said...

So sorry you’re suffering, Elizabeth. Your rocking horse collection is impressive!
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 5 x

Glenda said...

I find as I get older I don't have the patience I once had for altered projects. I never did much and now mostly I just make cards and a few Folio folders. I love all your rocking horses and and so impressed by the numbers. Go girl!
Glenda #18

Neet said...

Nothing like food poisoning to knock one for a six. I do hope that you are feeling much better now and able to attack that block of wood. Now what are you doing with it?
Thanks for the answer to my query. 480 or thereabouts is one heck of a lot of rocking horses and thanks for the peek at one display area. I love that tall table with the teapot one on. Perfect for it.
Next question, what made you start collecting rocking horses. Honestly Elizabeth I have often wondered, yet I used to collect cats (nowhere near as many as you have) but I haven't a clue why I started collecting them.
Hugs, to you all
Neet xxx 7

Tom said...

...I have a new desk for my computer and at the moment it nice and organized. Will have to see how long that lasts.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm glad the comment worked again. Maybe- and I say that cautiously- whatever it was is fixed:) I like stopping by to see all your rocking horses. You have quite a varied and cool collection. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

Crafting With Jack said...

Lovely to see your rocking horses, the old fashioned one with the big wheels immediately caught my eye. Well done on getting rid of the first lot of wood, sometimes you use can’t save things. Looking forward to your next step. Happy WOYWW. Angela #17

Annie said...

I'm on a roll this morning. I've done the wedding dress and bridesmaid's dress plus shortened another dress and now have time to blog before the next customer arrives.
So sorry to hear about your health problems...really hope you're feeling better soon. That's a lot of rocking horses you have there...and I love so many of them.
Hugs,
Annie x #9

Divers and Sundry said...

It is such a fun collection :)

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry you've been unwell plus your back bothering you,gentle hugs with get well wishes winging your way Elizabeth 🤗⭐️💕 Here's to happpy times with the wood this time around ❤️ Such a gorgeous collection yooou have with your rocking horses, I love that they are all around your home to be admired,to be spoken to and loved 🐎💕❤️⭐️🥰🤩😍 Sending much love and hugs Tracy #13 xxxx

Lindart said...

Hi Elizabeth! What a lovely collection you have! I can understand your problems with painting those pieces of wood good quality is always the best. Sorry to hear that you got food poisoning, that’s not fun at all. Hope you are feeling better next week. Have a good week, Lindart #22

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Oh I’m sorry you’ve had food poisoning, it knocks you for six, hope you’re feeling better now. It was so interesting to see some of your horses, I shall look forward to seeing your larger ones next week! Shame about the garbage wood, I hope you get better results with the new stuff!
Hugs LLJ 11 xx

Crafting With Jack said...

I don’t think it will cost too much. I will parcel it up for you. Please send me your address. Angela

Twiglet said...

I hope you are soon feeling well. I love to see all your little rocking horses. It is such an amazing collection. Xxx Jo

Ali Wade Designs said...

Happy Belated WOYWW. Hope you are feeling less fragile today. Food poisoning is horrible. So many rocking horses! I have had a few collections over the years, and been tempted to start so many, but lack of finances in the past (when I sold my collections at carboot sales) and now a wish for a simplified home (for ease of cleaning, in readiness for when we move home and general peace ...) means that I now just enjoy looking at things in antique centres etc. Ali x #19

Kelly said...

Good morning, Elizabeth.
Well, as you see I missed Saturday. There's always October, right? LOL
Love seeing all of your rocking horses. I spotted one while Bob and I were out. Will post a pic on Wednesday.
Hope you've recovered from the food poisoning. Horrid experience. Looking forward to what you do with the wood plank.
Creative Blessings! ~Kelly #21