Monday, August 28, 2023

T Stands For an oolong tea review

 

We are once again meeting at my dining room table, where today I will be sharing a review of oolong tea.  I have still not totally recovered from the effects of my food poisoning, but I promise I will be by either tonight or tomorrow. 

This all started when I received this box from San Francisco, by way of China.

I was told if I gave an honest review, this company, iTeaWorld would supply me with both oolong and black tea.

I was already in love with the boxes.  I can see altering them
 
once I drink all the tea.



The company sent black tea, too, along with the brand history, which I will share next week.
 It was time to assemble the items I would need for making perfect tea.  I'm not sure this is porcelain, but it's what I'm using.


It was time to read the instructions.


I went to all the trouble of finding a 5 gram weight.  I was about to bring out my scale when I realized I didn't need it.  The weight on the bag was 3.5 grams.  DUH!!!

It was a bit difficult getting all that tea in the ball, but I finally made it.  Then it was time to heat the water.  I saw I had to use distilled water in the cup, even though I was just "cleaning the leaves."

Three seconds.  Just enough time to take a single photo and hope for the best.  You might have noticed my blue PBS Kansas mug from before.  That was when I thought the water was to heat the teacup only, not clean the leaves.  Since I learned I was to place the distilled water and tea in a container, I decided on a container that I wouldn't mind getting both tea and water in it.

Second brew,

third brew,

fourth and final brew, although I could have done this up to 10 times.

What did I think of this tea?  First, it was smooth, almost like silk.  It was, however, a bit too watered down for my taste.  The first tea I ever drank was oolong.  Sounds weird since I grew up in a very British household.  My grandparents (grands raised me from birth) only drank coffee, and to get me to drink milk, of which I wasn't fond, my grandmother put a bit of coffee in my milk.  Soon it was as much coffee as milk, then less milk and more coffee.  You can see I've been a caffeine addict since I was in the 9th grade.

But I am here to evaluate the oolong tea.  The first oolong I had was "in your face" bold.  This tea was not like that.  It was subtle and dare I say weak.  I know some like weak or subtle tea.  I on the other hand, am into bold.  It had a good taste, it just wasn't strong enough for me.  Perhaps if I continued through all the brews, I would like it better.  I might do that next week when I evaluate the black tea.  I will also share the history of iTeaWorld.  

I also want to thank Zoey who was my contact with this company and the huge amount of tea she sent me.  Some who drink tea on a daily basis will find this tea quite pleasing.  Even if I am drinking loose leaf tea, which I prefer over tea bags, and I drink it several times a week, it will take me a LONG time to drink every bag she sent me.  Further, I am a simple tea drinker.  Even though I have all the accouterments, I want something less complicated than what I went through for this tea.

It's now time to share your own drink related post.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.  Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.  Please remember to visit your fellow T participants. 

 

 

I realize it's a bit late, but it's also time to dig up your Second on the 2nd post.  Any length, any genre is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.

 

29 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice tea revue, but I will stick to coffee. Happy T Day!

Mae Travels said...

Tea inspires so many rituals and ceremonies — not just in Japan, but many other cultures as well. People argue about things like. tea balls, time to steep, and if you should add milk before or after putting the tea in the tea cup. Also, there’s lots of specialized paraphernalia like tea pots and tea strainers.

Give me a simple tea bag in a mug of hot water!

Or just a cup of coffee, no ritual required.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

PS — Your review was nice and it was a good way to reciprocate for that free tea. And thanks for hosting.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do enjoy a cup of tea and there are so many varieties to suit all tastes.
Many thanks for your review.
Feel better soon from your food poisoning.

All the best Jan

Tom said...

...not being a tea drinker, I thought that tea was tea. Shows what I know.

Lisca said...

That sounds very elaborate, almost like a tea ceremony. I'm sure that if you steep the tea much longer, it will get darker and it will be tastier. I have had Oolong and I like it a lot.
I'm glad you are recovering from your food poisoning.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Kate Yetter said...

How fun that you got tea to review. It is nice that you got a few varieties. I find Oolong and black tea need to steep to one's palette. I got tea from China to review once and it had a very earthy taste, not to my liking. I found a taste that I liked after experimenting with steeping times. A lot of work and for ok tea.

Thank you for emailing me the sewing pattern for my daughter. It was very kind of you to think of me. I am rarely on email and social media anymore, so I apologize for not thanking you sooner.

Sorry to hear that you have food poisoning. Feel better soon.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

Those instructions sound like making a cup of tea is a lot of work. I don't mind loose tea or tea bags. And I agree, those boxes look like they'll be great for crafting. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Those instructions made me tired--lol! Too complicated for me. But I do like milder teas. Not weak and watery, but mild. I don't prefer the strong tea like you do. I do like Oolong. I'll be interested to hear how you like their black tea. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

There are so many great tewas out there. You'll have to tweak it until you are happy with it.
I am joyfully looking forward to what you will do with the box!

kathyinozarks said...

so sorry you are dealing with food poisoning I always had oolong tea when we would go to out eat at an oriental resturant-that was many years ago. I think that has caffeine which I can't have any more (raises my b/p very high) That seems like a very long process for brewing-and makes sense the tea would be very weak afterwards-wonder why they do that.
that is nice she sent you lots of tea. love the boxes too
Happy new week Kathy

Amila said...

What a coincidence! My post for T Tuesday is also about these teas. Thanks for sharing your honest experience with Oolong tea. As I like light tea, usually I prefer Oolong tea. I hope to see some crafty ideas too with these boxes. I like the boxes I received too.
Sorry to hear about food poisoning. I hope you will be fine soon!
Have a great day!

Iris Flavia said...

That is T(ea) made with love!
Looking forward to with what you do with the boxes!
And... I think you explained before how you use this double-tea-pot (I have one I found in the street and never used it for real yet, it´s still only deco!).
Can you just explain again, I didn´t get it...

I LOVE the weights! And I once read you are not to drink distilled water, glad you just used it for cleaning!
In my home town we needed that for the (very, very rare) ironing. Here in Braunschweig we can use tab-water for everything :-)

I so had to laugh about your coffee-story!!!
And that you, too, use the word "evaluate". I used that in my application. My Brother told me off, no one says or understands that. I read that every day (well, nearly) at my now-work and always think of him.
Nice to find it in private life! (Bro sure has words from his work-life I have never heard of).

Yes, please share the history of iTeaWorld.

Iris Flavia said...

... tap-water. Gah!

Helen said...

What a palaver for a cup of tea... but glad you enjoyed it (to an extent) and I enjoyed your review. happy T day.

Elephant's Child said...

Glad you are recovering. That sounds like a LOT of work. I am glad that you sort of enjoyed it, and hope you can find a way to make it more to your taste.

J said...

Elizabeth the tea making seems far too complicated for me, we drink tea all the time in the house, never drink coffee at home as we don't have a coffee maker. I also like quite strong tea with only a little milk. My Dad had one of those balls for his morning cuppa, in those days we only had loose tea anyway.
Happy T Day dear friend Jan S

CJ Kennedy said...

This was like a Chinese tea ceremony I had attended. All I could think of when the hostess poured that first cup down the drain, what a waste. That was the best part of the tea as far as I was concerned. Also be careful drinking distilled water as it can sometimes upset the gastrointestinal plumbing. Maybe use bottled or filtered water instead. Happy T Day

My name is Erika. said...

Hurrah that blogger is finally being cooperative !

Rostrose said...

Dear Elizabeth, I once had the exact same tea strainer (or ball) as you. However, it fell apart. But like you, I'm a comfortable tea drinker - I dislike complicated brewing techniques and do best with tea bags. I find it quite strange that you should use distilled water for this tea. I also don't have such a sensitive palate that I would feel any difference to "complicated" brewed tea. I may be a philistine but I'm fine with that ;-) When given the choice of "tea or coffee" I say "coffee" 90% of the time, unless I'm in the UK or in an area where I know that if you expect pleasure and a "kick" you drink tea better than coffee ;-)
All the best
Have a good week and a good start to September!
Traude
🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/die-tiere-vom-tiergarten-schonbrunn.html

DVArtist said...

Hi Elizabeth. I enjoyed you sharing your tea experience. I agree the tea looks a bit light. I don't drink tea very often. But when I do it is a spicy tea of some sort. I hope your day is going well.

Violetta said...

Oh, you must be a REAL tea-lover. And so many advices how to make a good one. Thank you. But I must confess- I am mostly a coffee drinker.But I like a good cup of tea, too.
All the best and have a good time
Violetta
https://violettaarden9.blogspot.com/2023/08/leutasch-lottensee-wildmoossee.html

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never seen instructions like this. Wow! I'd be tempted to brew the tea longer than they recommend ;) When I pack tea leaves that tightly I never get the water circulating around the leaves. I tend to put them loose in the pot rather than pack them that tightly. Sounds like fun trying a new thing a new way :)

Happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

I do not think i could be bothered to make that tea... I'm not sure if i've ever had Oolong tea. But i do love black tea from Lipton. Thats what i stick to although i try to buy decaf these days.. I love a good chai tea too. What a lovely review Elizabeth! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Debra said...

This is fascinating. I also love the boxes.

Debra said...

And I hope you feel better today. Hugs!

Jeanie said...

Someone from a similar (same?) company recently contacted me to do something similar. I've neither accepted or declined yet. I don't drink that much tea and always decaf and I don't know what I'd do with all that tea. I still have tea from when we went to Japan in 1998 or 1999, I think. Maybe a few years after. It's in my freezer and I should just toss the tea and keep the pretty box!

Spyder said...

I don't drink as much tea as I used to as I just hate it without sugar, but sometimes, i pour myself a nice cup of decef with sugar. I do miss it. But what a lot of tea for you to get through! Me? I boil the kettle, dunk the teabag in a mug, give it a stir, add milk...and sugar if no one's looking...or, if I make it in a teapot...one tea bag for the pot and one for every person...boiling water...wait a while, stir....put milk in cup first..then pour in tea etc....serve with a nice cookie, one you can dunk!
((Lyn))

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I think even if I did drink tea I would find this process a bit too long. I hope you are feeling better, hugs, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

I never heard of that brand of tea before, but then since joining TSFT, I have heard of a lot of brands I never knew before. I enjoyed your thorough review and looks for ward to the history of the brand, BTW, I think I am on break until after my trip. This has been the busiest month I remember in a long time! Another funeral today of one of our dear friends. That makes 6 this year. It I guess we are of the age. Hope you get to feeling better. I have had food poisoning twice, and I can truly say both were the sickest I have ever been in my life! Hope you have a better week.