Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Fate of the Monarch

 

Bleubeard and I are back today with another entry for our recycle, reuse, repurpose theme we are hosting this month at Art Journal Journey. We are also joining Country View Challenges, whose theme this month is Things with wings, and Triple B, which in case some aren't familiar, stands for Birds, Butterflies, and/or Blooms.

This started with what most people would call "junk mail."  I am not sure how or where it came from, other than I know it came from a piece of mail I received.  There's been some talk lately about the plight of the monarch, so when I received this, I had to act.

I've included a few detail images.

 

I started with the page I received in the mail to which I added an image of monarch larvae I found in an old Biology school book.   I had created a butterfly "film strip" several years ago, so I deconstructed the strip and used it on this new journal entry.  I fussy cut the butterfly and flower from an old calendar.  The words at the top and bottom of the page were part of the original page.  This is certainly a chilling realization and I'm glad I saved the page so I could use it this month to call attention to the plight of the monarch. I was shocked how many monarch butterflies have been lost over the past 20 years.

Bleubeard and I greatly appreciate you stopping by today to see what we recycled, reused, and repurposed.  We hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, Country View Challenges, and Triple B.  

 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Heartrending. And one of far too many losses. Losses for which we are responsible.

sirkkis said...

It is so bad for the world that so many pollinators are gone from earth.
Great message and illustration, Elizabeth xx

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a lovel project, Elizabeth, one of my faves. It's so important to remind of the fate of species which are declining so rapidly. Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I saw but one butterfly last summer and wondered...
You gave the very sad answer.
When my arm is back to normal I get fresh soil and plant wildflowers.

Mae Travels said...

The Texas drought and other factors has caused a big decline in their population of monarchs recently, but Texas Public Radio reports a more optimistic number for California: “ The Western population of butterflies was estimated to be 330,000 strong this winter. Fewer than 2,000 were counted there in 2020.” There is always variation, but things generally don’t look good, as your collage today suggests.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Plant milkweed. People get so into lawns and they forget that some animals depend on our "weeds" for survival. That's my lesson for today. Smile. This is a super page. I read a book about monarchs back in February and I learned a lot about the overall picture. A lot of the problem (at least according to this book) happens in the large farmland areas as well as housing developments because of pesticides and not leaving any weed areas where milkweed grows. I think your "junk mail" made great collage fodder and also a very education page too. Hope you're week is going well. hugs-Erika

Jenn Jilks said...

I saw my first butterfly of the season, yesterday. COmpton, I think.

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice page. I planted milkweed which Monarch caterpillars eat. We've seen a few more Monarch butterflies since the milkweed was planted

Christine said...

Beautiful

Lowcarb team member said...

Many more people are planting wildflower beds to attract butterflies.

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

Good on you for pointing out there plight. We sure don't want to lose them.

Cloudia said...

Always the worthwhile visit my friends

Divers and Sundry said...

I used to see monarchs, _flocks_ of monarchs, covering the flowering shrubs. No more. I haven't seen one in years :(

pearshapedcrafting said...

We saw a programme about how Monarchs are in danger. Your junk mail turned up at the right time and I love how you used them With the film strip. Hugs, Chrisx

rachel said...

great use of this material - it would be such a shame to lose the Monarchs. Thanks for joining us at Countryview Challenges and Good Luck! Hugs rachel x