Thursday, March 16, 2023

Spy vs. Spy

 

I'm still having trouble leaving comments on some blogs.  I keep getting "Failed to Publish." If you don't hear from me right away (and sometimes never), that is why!!  It is mainly on blogs with embedded comments and less so on those with pop-up comments.  It is very frustrating.  

Today I have another page for Valerie's theme Anything Goes at Art Journal Journey.

This reminds me of the Mad Magazine that I never read, but heard they did a Spy vs. Spy in each issue.  If anybody knows for sure, please let me know.  Since we have a couple of faces, tonight I'll also be joining Nicole and her Friday Face Off

I know there's a name for this technique where one side of the page is cut from the other side, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.  If you know what it's called, please let me know in comments.

Spy vs. Spy is the name of this spread.

Did anyone else take Laly's free four day course?  Although I enjoyed watching her create her spread, the really important tip I got from her lesson was you have to shake your Posca pen before you write with it.  I had NO idea until I watched her do it.  I think I've been wasting the pens I purchased because the oily part comes out first and the "color" is weak.

The background of this spread is 140 lb. black cardstock, the focal image is from a magazine, the words were computer generated and cut to follow the letters.  The focal image was outlined with black and white Posca pens.

Thanks for dropping by today.  Bleubeard and I hope you enjoy your weekend.  While you're here, please visit Art Journal Journey and Friday Face Off.

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Rita said...

Didn't see her free class but I did know about Posca pens.
I like the kind of mirror reverse effect of the spies! I didn't read Mad Magazine, either.

Neet said...

This page is Wonderful! I am so glad I came on here this morning, it has brightened myk day. Love black and white and this positive/negative imagery is brilliant.
Haven't watched anything this pat week, been down in the doldrums a bit so wasted time doing nothing. Cannot answer either of your questions but did know to shake and pump these pens. Sorry.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your black and white page with the spies, reminds me of old books with woodcuts. I don't know what this technique is called, sorry. Thanks for another lovely page for my challenge at AJJ, much apreciated! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fun page. I just finished reading a spy book, so when I saw this title I was really curious what this page was going to be like. I really like the reverse images. I think I read Mad magazine a few times as a kid, but I don't even know if they print it any longer or not. Hope you have a super Thursday.I'm happy I don't have to shovel today-smile. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Here is Wikipedia’s answer to your question:
“Spy vs. Spy is a wordless comic strip published in Mad magazine. It features two agents involved in stereotypical and comical espionage activities. One is dressed in white, and the other in black, but they are otherwise identical, and are particularly known for their long, beaklike heads and their white pupils and black sclera. The pair are always at war with each other, using a variety of booby traps to inflict harm on the other. The spies usually alternate between victory and defeat (sometimes both win and both lose) with each new strip. A parody of the political ideologies of the Cold War, the strip was created by Cuban expatriate cartoonist Antonio Prohías, and debuted in Mad #60, dated January 1961. Spy vs. Spy is currently written and drawn by Peter Kuper.”

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Blogger has a department concerned only with frustrating and irritating its users, of that I am quite sure. The images somehow remind me of silhouettes that were once in vogue, and the fact that I once bought some at an auction. They were part of a carton of odds and ends that are sold for next to nothing at the end of the auction, but there was a book I wanted. The pictures were in the same carton. I put them on eBay and sold them for $200! That's the only time good fortune of this type ever befell me.

Christine said...

Good page!

jinxxxygirl said...

This is a GREAT page Elizabeth! I needed that Posca Pen tip too!!! Hugs! deb

Jeanie said...

I like this page! Are you going to be participating in Sketchbook Revival, which begin next week? Good instructors and free -- a perfect combo! (Your comments are coming through well on my blog!)

Sandra Cox said...

Spy vs Spy was fun.
I've had problems too leaving comments. Good ole google. Sigh.
Have a great one.....

da tabbies o trout towne said...

sneekin round de internetz two day guyz....at cuzin daiz' houz...her haz free wi fi !!!! hope all iz well and yur week oh end iz grate...stay in trubullz !! ♥♥

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful page, that are great idea!!!! Google had problems so bad always too!!!
Hug Elke

Lowcarb team member said...

It's a great page, I like it :)

Yes, I think many of us are still having problems with leaving comments/or them going into spam when clearly they are not!

Have a good end of week and a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

DVArtist said...

Ohhh Elizabeth I love this art. Thank you for showing in on FFO. I will change my comments back to embedded to see if that helps. I know you have been having trouble with mine. Have a nice evening.

Iris Flavia said...

Mad Magazine wasn´t that popular (in my time) here - this reminds me rather of the cold war.
In East Germany kindy-kids were asked how the clock on TV at news-time looks like. That way they found out if the family watches "West-TV".
And they were kept an extra-eye on...
So glad these days are over!

Tom said...

...these graphics are quite effective! When I go to my dashboard to see comments, some are marked spam and I have the opportunity to publish them. Blogger has become a pain! Elizabeth, have a wonderful day.

Gene Black said...

I read Mad Magazine in my youth. I always enjoyed Spy vs. Spy comics.

Perhaps the name you are searching is "Positive and Negative Space Reversal" If there is another name, I don't know it.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice one!!!
Happy St Patick's Day.

Much💚love

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wowser! What a fabulous 'Anything Goes' page for Valerie's AJJ theme. Sorry can't help with name of the technique, hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

The Google help page says, "Embedded comments are the only kind with threading. Unfortunately, they require third-party cookies to work." and "The reason behind not able to comment on your own blog is your restricted google settings.You have BLOCKED THE COOKIES FROM THE THIRD PARTY SITES in the google SITE SETTINGS." Depending on which browser you use this might not be a problem...

I've also heard some browser extensions and add-ons can cause this problem.

You could ask here and see if you get help:

https://support.google.com/blogger/#topic=3339243

I used to see Mad Magazine in racks at stores when I was young.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have no idea what the process is called, but I like it. This is an awesome post, Elizabeth, and my love to Bluebeard :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

CJ Kennedy said...

Mad Magazine was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. I got to read it because my brother got the magazine. Spy vs. Spy was my favorite. The Mad Spies were goofy and not serious like your spies.

NatureFootstep said...

my brother used to read MAD but I never did. I did not understand it.