Friday, January 6, 2023

Friday Smiles 494: Back online


It's Friday, which means it's time to join Friday Smiles, hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time). Let's visit Annie and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday. 

It hasn't been a very smile worthy week because this time I not only lost internet, I also lost power.  So did my entire block.  That was early Tuesday morning in my world.  They finally restored it late yesterday afternoon.  It was too chilly to make art or even take photos.  Luckily, I have two very warm and snugly fur babies who kept me warm.  Talk about layering!  An extra blanket on the bed, too.

Once back online, I looked for something I could share because even though I had heat and electricity, it's going to take an entire day for the furniture, carpets, etc to warm again.

 Back in late October, I decided to check out our newly built Trader Joe's.  The first time I was in a Trader Joe's, I was in California visiting my friend Joseph Peck.


He chose to shop there the most.  His second choice was Whole Foods, another grocery store/market recently added to our choices of grocery shopping.  Do you see the man just inside the store and the woman just walking in?

Oh good.  Here's a lady in full frontal view and two in side view behind her.  It may be a stretch, but it's all I have that I can share with Nicole and her Friday Face Off.

Even before I got inside, I was drawn to this display of pumpkins.  I believe it was Lisca who said they didn't get pumpkins there.  This is the first time I have EVER seen a pumpkin pie pumpkin.  The one my neighbor gave me was for carving, not for eating (except possibly the seeds after they were baked).  I had read that pie pumpkins were small, but until I saw one, I had no idea how small.

Just inside the door

I found calla lilies, succulents, and heather.   I almost bought a pot of heather, but it didn't look that healthy to me.

Cacti and more succulents were on this cart.

These plants looked very healthy to me, but it was nearly winter and I would not have a good place inside for them to stay looking this good.

Now for a few funnies.

animals doctor caption Cats plant - 8803909376


animals fight caption Cats plant - 8800060160

cat instructions chickens caption harvest plant - 8571835392

destroy Cats plant - 8446026240

cactus plant - 7361718784

captions Cats grow plant pot - 6564893952

eat Hall of Fame Movie nom plant reference - 6171555072

Flower Power https://cheezburger.com/9187016960 | Flower power, Flowers ...
 

Lets plant catnip, he said. It prevents mosquitoes, he said. What could ...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/de/5d/19de5d5792fcca13e3ecdd17a145773c.jpg

Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I hope you enjoyed the cat and plant humor this week.  Now PLEASE visit Annie and Nicole and don't forget to show your face and start your weekend with a smile.  

 

24 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy. Yes, I thought this has happened .... again. I am so sorry! Bad enough in summer. But in winter?!
We were afraid our heating might blow cause the water inside might freeze - eek!
And yes, it took forever to get warm here, too.

Trader Joe's-products you only get at ALDI here.
I would be very interested in visiting. Is it like Wal-Mart (we had ages ago for a couple of years).

Love the black cat thinking :-)
And really. One day > cat! Here!
To smiles!

Helen said...

I'm sorry you've been suffering with no power/internet again but glad the furbabies kept you warm (to a degree) and that you are now back online. Happy New Year! Helen xx

Lisca said...

Oh dear! Again! I’m sorry to hear you have had power outings again. It must be awful to be cold. I can hardly imagine. But as you say, you have your fur babies.
We don’t have Trader Joe here, and I don’t remember seeing/ shopping in one when I was in the states. The pumpkins in the picture look more like decorative pumpkins than cooking pumpkins. But of course they can be eaten, they are just a bit small and difficult to peel. But they look very pretty.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

mamapez5 said...

Oh dear poor you to be without heat at such a time. Lucky you have your furry friends. I love it when Tango curls up on my lap each evening, and he likes it even more when I have a blanket on my knees. I am glad it is all fully restored now.
I don't think it can have been Lisca who said we don't have pumpkins here as we have lots around Halloween. But mostly we have the Spanish pumpkins throughout the winter which are the same as the orange ones inside, but they have a thick knbbly skin which makes them hard to prepare.
Love all your cat funnies this week. Kate x

Annie said...

Sorry to hear about your power cut....I hope you're warm again now.
The cat funnies are brilliant.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

I'm with Iris. When you weren't online I figured it was your phone, but I'm once again sorry to hear it was your power too. Not fun. And yes, it takes so long for a cold house to warm up. I hope you didn't get any broken pipes either. And that is one HUGE Trader Joe's. The ones around here are just tucked into shopping centers, but always busy, Is this one far from your house? Hope it's warm by now. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I have never lived near either of these stores-you are fortunate to have both nearby. Always thought they would be good for fresh produce, cheeses etc.
I was thinking you must have lost your internet again, and to be cold for a whole week no fun. Glad your kitties could help you stay warm hugs happy Friday Kathy

Debra said...

I'm glad your power is back on. It is not fun at all-especially when the weather isn't perfect. Our power goes off at least a dozen times a year-only for hours at a time usually-but it's annoying-and cold in the winter. Loved the Trader Joe's pics and of course the cat funnies! Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Jeanie said...

They are building a Trader Joe's here and I cannot wait til it's done -- seems like it has been forever. Right now the one we go to is by Kevin and Molly's house, so every time we visit the kids we take a cooler and plan a big shop. They have wonderful products at very competitive prices. You're lucky to have one close!

DVArtist said...

I am so glad your power is back on. That is a huge Trader Joes compared to the one we have in Eugene. FFO is up. I put the wrong day for my automatic link up. Thank you for joining in and sharing your wonderful posts.

Mae Travels said...

When your T post kept reappearing on my screen, I knew your power had failed again — So sorry to hear that the outage included ALL the necessary utilities. Good to know it’s back!

As you probably have seen by my repeated mentions of TJ’s, I”m a big fan of their products and their prices. Your photos are so similar to the store here and to the ones in other places where I have shopped; I think they keep things very consistent, though the size and therefore the number of available products varies. Our local store is a smaller one. I hope you enjoy shopping there and find some favorites. As one of the other commenters said, your photo includes some decorative pumpkins and some of the small, flavorful “pie” pumpkins that are also good for recipes like pumpkin soup.

Good luck with the power — I hope your year in 2023 is powerful, no outages!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

Good Morning Elizabeth! My daughter loves Trader Joes and Whole Foods... I'm a Walmart shopper through and through.. lol But those are nice stores to walk thru... Love the Cat/Plant funnies!!! Especially the cat nip one..lol Hugs! deb

Tom said...

...we have a Trader Joe's, but ours looks like a corner store compared to yours. I like to buys some flowers every week. Enjoy your weekend.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm late today as I have been for the Breast Screening today, just the usual check up then of course I was busy with puppies but peace at last as they are both sleeping but not sure how long it will last. I do hope they get the power problems sorted for you soon, it's such a pain. I've never heard of Trader Joe's but it looks really interesting. Of course the funnies made me smile, cats are so naughty. Wishing you a very happy creative day. Hugs, Angbela xXx

Sandra Cox said...

I am so sorry you've had to deal with this. Glad things are better.
Don't ya love Trader Joe's?

Rita said...

I hear so many people talk about Trader Joe's but have never even been in one. I asked google and there are no Trader Joe's in North Dakota.
Liked the cat funnies. Especially the planted catnip one--lol!!

Christine said...

Thanks for the smiles!

Gene Black said...

Interesting. I have never been to a Trader Joe's.

CJ Kennedy said...

Trader Joe's is such a fun place to visit. Loved the cat funnies.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Trader Joe's is a great store. I laughed at your funnies. (I saw one with a Christmas tree knocked over, and the cat saying it fainted.)

Divers and Sundry said...

I've tried Trader Joe's but can't use it for my weekly grocery shopping. We use pie pumpkins for inside Autumn decoration. Perfect for tabletop displays.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

There are no easy answers to heat when the power goes off. Seems you did the best thing ,,, layering and with a few cats tucked in for body heat, it might all work:) So sorry you had to go through that and I am sure your cats were miserable as I know they like warm and cozy :(
As for Trader Joes ... I shop there all of the time. They have a whole array of natural foods and delicious choices at reasonable prices. I have noticed (now that I have to read labels because of me BP) that they put a lot of salt in their food ... so you can watch for that if it is an issue. Love all the cat faces in the awesome cartoons. I'm always up for a good laugh ... thank you :) So Happy New Year, my friend to you and your fur babies. May it bring you all good things ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm sorry you've had no power/internet, but so pleased power has now been restored :)

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

Those displays would make me want to go back! Love the funnies- the catnip one was hilarious though slightly disturbing! Hugs, Chrisx