Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday Smiles 490: stressed out in meltdown mode

 

It's Friday, which means it's time to join Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   It's been awhile since I was able to join in because of my duties at Art Journal Journey.  I'll try to make up for that.  Let's visit Annie and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.   

Unfortunately, I don't have much to smile about here.  I'm in meltdown mode.

This is what my sewing machine is producing.

 
Although it wastes a LOT of expensive variegated thread,

if the back side is hidden, it's not so bad.  However, when I am trying to sew two sides of a tip-in together (like in the top two photos), it isn't going to work.  You are looking at the back/reverse of the front side of the tip-in.  The two photos at the top of the post are of the front of the back side of the tip-in.

I spent a lot of time designing, fussy cutting, painting,

and decorating these trees.  I'll be taking my sewing machine apart in the morning to find why it is misbehaving when I need it so badly right now.

But we are supposed to share smiles, so I'll show you some drive by shootings (photos) I took when my foodie friend Sally took me to Sam's, the wholesale members-only store/club run by the same people who run WalMart.  She's a member and takes me there when I need cat litter.  Below I'm testing my new camera and trying to get the settings correct.






Some of you who live in the states may have read or heard about the U.S. House of Representatives voted 258-169 in favor of the Marriage Equality Act yesterday (Thursday).  The Respect for Marriage Act also protects the rights of interracial couples.  President Biden is expected to sign the bill, since he has been in favor of it even when it got stuck in the Senate.  The bill will guarantee equal marriage rights even if the Supreme Court tries to overturn the existing marriage equality decision.  In MY opinion, that is something to smile about.  Here are a few more:

https://www.mygoldenthimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/sewing-meme-ran-bobbin-thread-1.png  Been there, often do that!


https://www.mygoldenthimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/sewing-meme-funny-s.jpg


https://www.mygoldenthimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/sewing-memes-fabric-buy-1.jpg

https://www.mygoldenthimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/sewing-meme-funny-2-1.jpg  That's it for me today, dear friends. 

Now PLEASE visit Annie and don't forget to start your weekend with a smile. And if you know what's wrong with my sewing machine, feel free to let me know (grin).


24 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

The Respect for Marriage Act is definitely something to smile about.
I hope you find a lot more things to smile about in the coming days - and thanks for the funnies.

mamapez5 said...

Lovely to have you back with us my dear.
There are some lovely serene skies in your photos.
I know how frustrating your sewing machine problems must be. I sew as little as possible, but it still winds me up when it doesn't sew perfectly first attempt. I hope you can get it sorted. Kate x

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry about your sewing machine, mine keeps misbehaving, too. Sorry you are so stressed out. The pics wsith your new camera are MUCH better, great! Have a calmer day, hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

It looks like your tension is off, either top or bottom whichever is making those loops. How long is it since you serviced it? It might be a good idea to take it apart, clean and oil it, and then adjust the tension. HTH

Mae Travels said...

I dread the day when my sewing machine finally gives up. I think the only repair shop here has moved to Florida. Well, maybe It will just keep sewing on the rare occasions when I get it out. It’s so old that it’s made of steel instead of plastic, which prpbably has advantages.

Good luck getting it fixed!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope you're able to fix your machine so you can smile again.

Annie said...

Dont you just hate it when our tools let us down when we need them most? I would unthread it all, give it a good clean, change the needle and rethread it....the two different threads you're using might not help. If it had been sewing well before I wouldn't adjust the tension.....fingers crossed for you.
Hugs,
Annie x

Jenn Jilks said...

Good luck with your sewing machine. I had one that never worked reliably. When I took it to a nearby store, they told me I was using the wrong bobbins all these years! Oh, the frustration.

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh no! No experience with sewing machines here although i have one.... still in the box.. a cheap one from Walmart ($50) I want to sew pillows.. lol I think i would be pulling my hair out if i were you! Hugs! deb

Rita said...

I hope you can get the machine figured out! Tension problems are a curse for me.
I agree--something to be happy about!! :)

kathyinozarks said...

so sorry about your machine-that could be a bobbin issue, sometimes if I do allot of sewing I forget to take the bobbin area apart and give it a good cleaning-hoping that is all you need.
great memes-hugs

Words and Pictures said...

Love the sewing cartoons - hilarious! - and I have to say I rather like the grungy sewing that your machine is doing. As a strictly non-sewing person, I'm happy if I can even thread the machine!!

Great photos out and about, and your bauble tree is looking super shimmery.
Alison x

LA Paylor said...

a new camera! yea!
friend to play with, yea!
when stripes match, hooray!
LeeAnna

craftytrog said...

I really hope you can fix your sewing machine Elizabeth, not much to smile about there.
However, those sewing funnies are great, and made me smile.
Have a good weekend,
Alison

Divers and Sundry said...

I hope you can talk sense into your sewing machine. I always have trouble getting past the phrase "drive by shootings"... I think it's only right that marriage contracts be recognized and respected. Civil marriage is a legal contract, after all, and shouldn't be subject to religious fundamentalist misinterpretations of the Bible. And that's my view ;) just right out there lol

Jeanie said...

Elizabeth, I've been trying to visit your blog for days and go back to posts I've missed but on google reader, only the current one shows up. If you click on an older one, it goes to a blank page with just your header. Same if I click on "older post" here at the bottom of the comments. Just wanted you to know I've tried. I often don't see a post the day it comes because i'm not always on computer so I value being able to go back and catch up, but unfortunately can't!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm late getting round today as hubby suddenly decided we should go out thinking it would still be quiet before the children broke up so we went to a garden centre and I can tell you it wasn't quiet but we had a nice walk round. I wish I lived near you as I would love to sort the machine for you as there is very rarely anything really serious wrong with them. When I was teaching I sorted sewing machines nearly every day and unless something is actually broken (which is rare) then they are fairly easy to fix. However there have been times when I've got everything back together and then found a screw that should have been put back and wasn't! I do hope you get it sorted. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lowcarb team member said...

Hoping you can get your machine sorted out.
I like the photographs with your new camera.

Have a relaxing and stress-free weekend.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

I'm very happy and relieved about passing the Respect of Marriage Act.
Elizabeth, would you mind giving me your mail address? You can send it to carbartz@gmail.com Thank you.

Christine said...

Thanks for the funnies, sorry for the meltdown, I don't sew but empathize

Iris Flavia said...

So sorry about your sewing machine behaving that way! Tell her she is an idol and has to behave!!!
After all it was her work that made Ingo buy me the Junior-Singer!
Nice neighborhood and yay for the rights!!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Sorry your sewing machine is acting up. How frustrating. I hope you do get it sorted soon. Yes, some good things have happened politically in the US lately (Marriage equality act; Warnock's win in Georgia) and that has made me happy from abroad.

My name is Erika. said...

It drives me crazy when my thread does that, even if it looks pretty good-sometimes. Mine did that the other day and I just needed a new needle, so it was a very easy fix. I need to give mine a good open up and clean. One of these days-maybe when my thread ends up a mess too-smile. Good luck. And happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Kimberly Thomas said...

Let me share this on your lovely blog, A neighbor of mine developed dementia & diabetes, then her husband died, no children or family nearby. I am thankful our closest neighbor, an African American woman, introduced Dr Itua Herbal Medicine, A traditional herbal doctor in which we purchased a herbal product for her through his Dr Itua online herbs store. A former social worker stepped in and led the way to place the widow in a care facility. We visit nearly every week until she finishes drinking Dr Itua herbal medicines, if possible. The two of us take simple games, puzzles, and matching cards to do with her, staying about 2 hours. Jenga, Trouble, puzzles 100pcs or less, 20 cards to match (total-not 40!). The fishing game where the fish open and shut their mouths as they go around is lots of fun! We sit and chat with her until she gets well again, then we pull out a game and the three of us laugh together as we play. We take a variety of things to do so that we won't get bored. She finished Dr Itua herbal medicines and she's fine now and doing better with the help of Dr Itua herbal medicines, Dr Itua cures different illnesses with his herbal medicines. Anyone having a sick person should reach Dr Itua email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua Cure Alzheimer's,Cancer,Parkinson,Hiv,Herpes,Hpv,Kidney disease,Diabetes,Hepatitis, We hug and hold hands a lot. Having two of us go together really helps. But I can go alone, my neighbor cannot, as she saw so much of this during her years as a social worker. I hope this specific list helps others in this situation.
Thanks.