Sunday, November 27, 2022

Oranges (and commentary)

 

I'm sure you know by now that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month and our themes are Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both. 

Yesterday we looked at apples.  Today is all about Oranges.

Here are a few detail shots, although I'm still having trouble cropping my images.



Once again, I started with a calendar page.  I couldn't find too much when it came to oranges in the kitchen tools and recipes book I am using.  However, I went to another cookbook and found the recipe for the Orange Supreme Cake.  Not that I would make it.  The small "preview" page was from the back of the calendar.  Of course, there are other citrus fruits on the page, including a blood orange, grapefruit, and lemons. 
 
Bleubeard and I are really happy you visited today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own version of Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both.  

  We are also joining AEDM.

I've been reading a lot about what people are thankful for this holiday weekend.  I've also been reading how people are dealing with the recent events that have occurred these past few days concerning gun violence.  I'll start with that.  As of Thanksgiving morning, there were 608 mass shootings in the states.  Mass shootings involve at least four people who were not the perpetrator.  I heard the statistic on an early morning radio talk show.  Those who have been around my blog for a long time know I'm a big advocate of the 2nd amendment.  I have never hidden the fact I own two hand guns.  Both are Ruger single six. 

 

Ruger Old Model Single Six for saleOne is a .22 caliber, the other is a .38 with an interchangeable .357 magnum cylinder.  Image is from the internet.  Both my guns are secured in a lock box and one is loaded, but the other one is not.  I tell people if they think for even a millisecond that they would not be able to pull the trigger, DO NOT keep a gun in your home.  There is nothing worse than owning a gun and having it taken from you while you decide if the threat is real or not.  A single six holds exactly six bullets.  In order to remove the spent shell, you must release the cylinder and remove the shells before reloading.  I believe if I can't stop a threat in my own home with six bullets, I'm not the shot I think I am.  

However, I have a REAL problem with the assault rifles that shoot more rounds per minute than I can count as they are coming out of the rifle.  I am sure most gun owners feel the same way.  These assault rifles and their owners put a stain on gun owners who either hunt or keep a gun for protection.

Now let's talk about what happened in Colorado Springs last week.  For those who have not heard, five people were gunned down in a LGBTQ+ establishment while celebrating and enjoying a drag concert.  These people no longer feel safe in a place where, in the past, they had felt no threats to their lives. 

I'm going to shift gears for a minute.  My grandmother (grands raised me from birth) was one of four children.  Her older sister, my great aunt and I got very close after she stayed several months with my grandparents after she retired.  Of the four siblings, my aunt was left handed.  Everything went well in kindergarten, but when she got to first grade, the teacher tied her left arm behind her back and FORCED her to write with her right hand.  Granted, that practice would not be accepted or acceptable today, but apparently it was in the late 1930s.  When she was at home, my aunt said she did everything with her left hand, but at school, she had to use her right hand.  You are born with handedness, and whether you are a misguided teacher or a fool, you know that is a born trait that can't be erased or undone.  My aunt went on to be one of the first females to receive a medical doctor (MD) degree from the University of Kansas (KU) and worked at KU Medical Center in Kansas City until she retired.

Now back to the LGBTQ+ community.  It has been scientifically shown that gay people are as hardwired as my aunt was with her handedness.  One article by New Scientist provides this: 

BRAIN scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is down to biology rather than choice. Tantalisingly, the scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggression resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

“This is the most robust measure so far of cerebral differences between homosexual and heterosexual subjects,” says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

These individuals are not alone.  According to The Family Equity Council, as of 2017:

LGBTQ Families: Who We Are: 

LGBTQ. Approximately 4.3% of adults in the U.S. identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual,transgender or queer (LGBTQ). That means that there are more than 10.7 million LGBTQ adults in the U.S. (Romero 2017; Gallup Poll 2017). 

Transgender. A recent Williams Institute Report estimates that 1.4 million adults (.6% of adults) in the U.S. identify as transgender. (Flores et al 2016). 

Bisexual. Roughly half of the LGBTQ population identify as bisexual. (Gates, Marriage and Family 2015).

Quora attempts to answer the question "Why are LGBTQ+ people LGBTQ+? Do they choose to be it themselves, or is it genetic since birth?" and other questions people have about LGBTQ+.  

There is enough evidence out there that these people are as hardwired from birth as my aunt's handedness.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading this commentary on assault rifles and hardwiring.  Please be kind to everyone, whether they have a different sexual orientation, are left handed, have a different color of skin, different eye color, or height (no short jokes, please, since I'm only 4' 11").

 

11 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I am been really enjoying your work - and this pad is no exception.
Sadly, handedness CAN be changed. When I started school I was pretty much ambidextrous, with a slight preference for my left hand. A teacher tied my left hand behind my back. I am now very, very right handed and struggle to use my left hand for anything. I do think our sexuality is hard wired, and mourn for those who cannot/were not/have not been accepted for who they are.
I am completely with you about assault rifles. I cannot see that they have a place in a community.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This was a timely post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on both these issues. It's sad how people have distorted the 2nd Amendment to allow these terrible weapons that are literally killing our society. And equally sad that some people believe they can change nature to conform with their biases.

Iris Flavia said...

Oranges, funny you came up with that after Cookie Monster had no clue :-)

See - it i a big part at the Simpsons with Ned Flanders being left handed and having a shop providing everything for left-handers.
We are one, what does it matter with what hand you work or whom you love?
It doesn´t even matter what tool you choose to defend or attack someone.
Guns have, as in you case, been locked up. A knife, an axe... that´s what people use here. You can use anything if there is the will to kill or hurt - a brain and a heart is what people need, and a< good life.
One can dream, huh.

kathyinozarks said...

I agree with Iris and the problem with taking away any guns-the bad guys still have them

Christine said...

Being left handed I can empathize with the lgbtq. Love the fruit theme

My name is Erika. said...

First of all, I love a good orange. Cuties are a staple of my winter (especially) diet, and so your page today is very yummy. And second of all, I agree with you about guns and gun violence. We don't own any guns, but I have shot them before at targets. I don't have any problems with guns EXCEPT assault rifles. I think most gun owners are responsible people, but why does the average person even need an assault rifle? We had this conversation at my sister-in-law's home on Thanksgiving. Her son-in-law owns an assault weapon and we asked him why. He said because he can, although he's only ever shot it at rifle ranges. He has a background in criminology, and I would say he is very responsible. But, I'm still not so sure he needs that assault rifle based on his life. And as a former teacher and as a biologist, everything I've ever heard or learned is that being gay or left handed is definitely hard wired. That goes for some other things too. And really, no matter who you are we are all people. Why we all have to conform is one of those ideas from a past time that is a good thing it is gone. But I must add, there are some good points to conformity like stopping at red lights and not using your assault weapon on others. OK, I've written a long enough comment. I could go on, but I won't. Hope you're enjoying this holiday weekend. hugs-Erika

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The journal is great! Everyone should live the way they want and people should really not have prejudices, no matter how they look or feel. Love for all people in the world! Thanks for this good post!
Happy Advent! Hugs- Elke

jinxxxygirl said...

Elizabeth... you and i are on the same page as far as guns. We own a hand gun and two rifles.. single shot... I believe assault type rifles should be banned.. and i think you could get most of America to agree with you. Certainly not everyone.. The problem is the people who love their guns.. as soon as you mention banning anything they lose it. They just revert to 'OMG your not taking my guns away! ' They stop hearing you. They refuse to hear the words.. 'Only assault rifles' all they hear is 'You want to take my guns away.' Yes i know the arguments only too well.. (i live in TX) 'They take one gun away they will get them all'.. 'They'll get my guns over my dead body'.. 'Take the guns away then only the bad guys will have guns'.. etc... etc.. etc.. ad nauseum ... I don't have the answers... And then ofcourse theres that 'bump stock ' thing i think its called that can turn any gun into an assault gun.. But in my mind we don't have to tackle the whole gun issue at once.. Pick one thing we can all (or most of us) come together on.. and to me thats assault rifles..

Now the other issue you brought up.. I try to be accepting and inclusive... there are many things i can get my head around especially scientifically.. I appreciate all your information.. I feel everyone.. everyone deserves to love and be loved.. Should they be able to marry if they so choose , ofcourse.. why not.. At first i was on the fence about a same sex couple being able to adopt and raise children.. But there are so many children needing families and love i changed my mind and i'am no longer on the fence with that.. Where i run into trouble is how it has found its way into schools trying to be so 'woke' is the word i think.. And i feel like you should have to use the restroom of your biological gender.. Because reguardless of how that person identifies themselves .. theres still i biologically correct male in the bathroom with my daughter.. or anyones daughter.. I feel there are boundries being pushed that should never be crossed.. I'am not the most eloquent speaker or writer so please forgive me if i've used the wrong words.. And don't get me started on the silly new thing of using odd pronouns like them and we etc.. Some things for me are beyond ridiculous.. Very thought provoking post Elizabeth that goes beyond Oranges.. lol Lovely page though by the way! lol I hope i was being kind while still speaking freely. Hugs! deb

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I read Deb's problem with transgender children using restrooms. I hope that there will come a day when there are male/female/trans pubic restrooms.

Empire of the Cat said...

I had a teacher who tried to force me to be right handed. It didn't work, even when I cut my left hand and it was stitched and bandaged up, I still tried to use it over my right hand. People will pick on anyone who is different from them, I was even picked on my for my hair colour (red) and yet how many people choose to dye their hair red now? It's all crazy. I do like oranges, given the subject of your post, it brings to mind the book by Jeanette Winterston - Oranges are not the only fruit.

Divers and Sundry said...

As with apples, I don't cook with oranges but enjoy them raw.

The 2nd Amendment has been interpreted in such a broad way so that now many take it to mean an unfettered right to own an arsenal including weapons of war. To be honest, given my way I'd repeal the 2nd Amendment and regulate guns the way we regulate everything else in this country. People could still own them as they own cars and box cutters and bicycles and bows/arrows and televisions and knives and sound equipment and musical instruments and nail guns and literally everything else only at least some small amount of attention could be paid to safety. That wouldn't take anyone's guns away and wouldn't prevent folks from owning them but would -as with other products- allow some regulation. That "but I have the right" trumps safety every single time is a disgusting state of affairs.

As for gender issues, I wish we'd quit assigning gender at birth -what purpose does that serve, anyway? I'd favor making all bathrooms unisex singles or requiring stalls in all public bathrooms.

I don't favor little piddly changes around the edges. I favor systemic, foundational _change_.