Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd: Summer of Love

 

Before we begin, if your Second on the 2nd and your T Tuesday post are the same, please link both places.   

Somehow I thought the T Tuesday post came after the Second on the 2nd post.  Valerie and Kathy helped get my head in gear by posting early.

I like to share a second look based on the guest host at Art Journal Journey, and this month the host is Chris, who many of you know as Pearshapedcrafting.  Her theme is When We Were Young, and I thought this second look would be appropriate.

This is from a post I copied in its entirety from July 9, 2017.  It is aptly called

The Summer of Love

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgWvMUxdYcoSCWi9W_iZRHzki4MlosuanGdkToczgHMMWCFa2jBAvc0Gm6pV7BkoQRZIVD_sHTz5EbUXSoguulVEDOzmAHws9A85_UgVGSY9APq32Lw3x35tHKuSV988Unie5H8IQ/s1600/1.jpg  Today we are headed back to the late 1960s and the Summer of Love.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjxw3k5wbSHjArpANVyoUqxOWh9zzewgigPrf7523nvP8f0JVT_1Kjc2jU8bBoxMjOuW5sZfS1WnnHSRkl-qJKWhRTIvjHNid76JZsfQeerifJURA_NSGcL6N0dKR3P_xA4ImsXLQ/s640/2.jpg I knew absolutely nothing about the Summer of Love when I first started thinking about this spread.  Obviously the words came before anything else.  According to Wikipedia:

The Summer of Love was a social phenomenon that occurred during the summer of 1967, when as many as 100,000 people, mostly young people sporting hippie fashions of dress and behavior, converged in San Francisco's neighborhood Haight-Ashbury.
Per the Official 60s Site:
The Summer of Love refers to the summer of 1967, when an unprecedented gathering of as many as 100,000 young people converged on the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, creating a phenomenon of cultural and political rebellion.
The bus shown above was taken from the internet.  It was parked on Haight Street in the summer of 1967.  For those of you who live in countries other than the U.S., this may be something new for you as it was for me.

 I was amazed that this happened exactly 50 years ago, and there is a big revival of the Summer of Love this year (2017) in San Francisco.  Fifty years later, many are still marveling at the often drug-induced hippies, who came during the summer and mysteriously disappeared in the fall, only to be replaced by street people.

But during that magic summer, the excitement was centered around the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.  Exciting new music was everywhere and it was often free.  Bands like Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Jimi Hendrix, and The Grateful Dead were a big part of the scene, but their names were virtually unknown before that summer.

These are the bands I still listen to, and the reason I have often said I was born a generation too late.

Flower power became important, and those who flocked to the Haight-Ashbury area often carried flowers or wore them.  They were truly opposed to war (the U.S. was being torn apart by what was going on in Vietnam), and this was one of their symbols.

Of course, if you were headed to San Francisco during the Summer of Love,

be sure you wore flowers in your hair.

It's what set you apart from the "establishment."  Trippy.

Materials used include white card stock I colored using shimmering mists through a piece of netting, a picture taken from the internet, three pieces of scrapbook paper, one heart shaped button, a Micron pen, and a bouquet of silk flowers I put together.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today as we looked back at the Summer of Love from 1967.  We are grateful for your visit.

_______________________________________________ 

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

This link is for Second on the 2nd, only.
 
 

13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I did know about the Summer of Love. Perhaps the influence of my older brothers... Love your depiction.

Valerie-Jael said...

I remember that summer so well! I was staying in a little village for my vacation, and all of us youngsters gathered in a field every evening, sang songs of peace and love, some had guitars, and it was somehow a very golden time. These days I forget a lot, but those wonderfu memories have stayed with me. We all picked flowers in the meadows, and enjoyed our hippie time. And now I'm a hippie senior!. Thanks for a lovely post! Hugs, Valerie

Nancy Chan said...

I love your art piece using the black and white bus. Oh yes, I remember the song. It was played over the radio so very often and we could easily remember the lyrics and sang along.

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great look back and is the perfect pairing for your first AJJ post this month. I remember this page and I still love how you added those big bold flowers! That song is a classic too, and now I shall be humming it this morning. Smile. Hope the month is treating your nice! hugs-Erika

Debra said...

This post was fun-a look back in time. It almost seems like ten million years ago. I was just a few years too young to be a hippie(I was 13 in 1967)but I was taken by the movement for sure. Just a side note: I once went to a Grateful Dead concert. And I fell fast asleep!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love this layout! I was just a bit too young for the Summer of Love, still in high school. But oh how I wished I could have been involved!

Christine said...

Beautiful

pearshapedcrafting said...

I remember 1967 well. Love this page Elizabeth! Oh! The Sixties!!!, hugs, Chrisx

Jenn Jilks said...

I remember reading about this! Even in Canada! 1967 was a very good year!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm now singing the song :)
Lovely post.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

I love that song.
It reminds me of Forrest Gump, the movie.
Of the hippie-group we met again and again when traveling Australia in 1999. Their VW-bus was blue and smelly.
One mate asked me if the free showers were hot - that was in Broome, 38C / 100F. They were cold showers, he went back to the bus, unshowered, I couldn´t believe it!!

I may be "too young" for that summer, in fact I wasn´t born and Ingo but a little child, but I reckon this idea, this way of life still lives on, if here minus the drugs.
I was offered and said, no, so much for a boring life ;-)
Oh, I wish I had some flowers inside, I will listen to that song now, that´s my "ciggie-break" from work.
Thank you for the memories!

Lisca said...

I love that song, and I loved 1967! I too was dressed like a hippy and we say these VW minibuses, painted with flowers and slogans and ban-the-bomb signs etc. Those were the days.
Thank you for reminding me.

Empire of the Cat said...

We studied the 60s in college especially this summer of love period so it's familiar to me, plus has been covered in many movies. It always seemed so appealing. I always wondered what made some people join in and others remain in the established patterns they were used to. Happy second on the second Elle/EOTC xx