Saturday, July 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd: the Arch

 

I like to share a second look based on the guest host at Art Journal Journey, and this month the host is Wendy whose theme is Doors and/or Arches.  If you have been around my blog for any length of time at all, you know I love houses, which in turn have doors.  In fact, I have an entire altered book dedicated to houses.  Therefore, when I had a chance to feature an arch instead of a door, I immediately knew what I wanted to feature.

This is a small part of several blog posts, two of which I created back in March, 2019.  These posts feature what was originally called the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis, MO.  It is now called the Gateway Arch National Park. U.S.  The following is from these various posts.

Some of you might remember my rant about the Statue of Liberty, which in turn led to my comparing it to the Arch: 

Years ago, I traveled to New York to see the reopening of the Statue of Liberty, a project I believed in.  I contributed for three years while they worked on the Statue.  I was there on day four of the reopening.  I was young and dumb, and got sucked into Lee Iaccoca's promises, since I thought it was a good cause to repair the Statue.  I even got my name as a contributor in the computer in the basement area under the statue.  When I got home, people asked what I thought of the Statue of Liberty.  I told them how disappointed I was.  It was NOTHING like the Arch, which I had already visited several times.

First, when you visit the Arch, you may take as much time as you like to take photos, appreciate the beauty of both the river and the city of St. Louis from high above.  Even though I'm extremely frightened of heights, this didn't frighten me, and it was exhilarating.  For the Arch, you take a tram to the top and stay as long as you like.  There are viewing areas/windows that allow you to see from both sides.

When I visited the Statue of Liberty, I climbed the 354 steps, many of them tight.  I was in excellent physical health, but many people would not have made it.  My friend Sally wouldn't have even fit in the tight 19 inch staircase which winds to the top of the crown.  Back then, they allowed people who wanted to climb to the top to do so.  Now they only allow a limited number per day to climb to the crown.  Once up top, we were forced to keep moving.  I only had a brief time to take a few photos from the viewing windows and had to move on.  Such a disappointment.  It also wasn't as high (tall) as I anticipated it would be, either.  Certainly not like the Arch, which spoiled me for views and beauty.

While at the arch, you learn how it was created.  Much of the final work had to be done at night or early morning, since once the sun heated the arch, it distorted the two legs (until they were assembled, that is).

Old Courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, as seen from the top of the Gateway arch. Compliments of Wikipedia.

Because I'm so short, I had to climb up on the viewing platforms to see out the tiny windows (about 7 inches x 27 inches or 180 mm x 690 mm).  However, I was able to stay as long as I liked.  At the time of this posting, it cost $10.00 (USD) to go to the top of the Arch.  The first time I went up, it was $3.00 (USD).  The second, third, and fourth times were $3.50 (USD).  After checking the current prices, the cost for one adult Monday through Thursday is $17.00 (USD) and $19.00 (USD) Friday through Sunday.  Also forget what I said above about taking as much time as you like.  Now, the tram ticket site tells us

Guests will be limited to under 10 minutes at the top of the Arch. Please follow tour guide announcements.
Now let me tell you about the Arch.  One thing to remember is, it was 630 feet (
192 meters) high and 630 feet (192 meters) from each of the bases, too.  Many call it a parabola, and it even looks like one, but that is technically not true.  It is really a weighted catenary (meaning the legs are wider than the upper section), made up of 142 wedges that are equilateral triangles.  I got the information about these specific numbers from this fact sheet.

One of the things that surprised me was how the Illinois side of the river has been cleaned up.  

This is my own photo I took from the Illinois side back in the mid-80s.  You can see I had to walk through practically a forest of debris and dead trees to get this shot.  

I took the photo out of the frame, but because of the matte finish, it was still hard to see.

One of the years I was there for a July 4th concert (I went every July 4th for many years), I broke down and purchased a VP Fair beer.

VP stands for Veiled Prophet, and this organization has been going strong for well over 100 years.  Either I'm getting old, or I no longer know current artists, but I've never heard of the ones they are listing for this year's fair (2019 is not shown in the listings anymore). 

These live in my basement and they are part of a larger St. Louis vignette.  I also have a photo from the Illinois side of the river I took one year during the daytime.  However, I didn't have time to look for it.  On the other hand, you can see I photo bombed my own photo!

One photo I'm especially proud of (yes, my scanner was obviously dirty when I took this scan)

is this one I took in front of the Old Courthouse, which was made famous by the Dred Scott case.  I like how I captured the rainbow in the fountains.  Although it is impossible to tell from the spot where I took this photo, the name of the statue is The Runner and  yes, he is running.
 
_____________________________________________
 
Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please note this link is only good through 4 p.m. my time on Monday afternoon when T Tuesday goes live.  
 
 



 

 

 

11 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

The arch looks beautiful.
Thank you for the information - and the information about visits to the Statue of Liberty - none of which I knew.

Iris Flavia said...

Not even 10 minutes is a shame!
Oh, but this sounds all so interesting anyway! Thank you for sharing. When we can travel one time again (and I´ve visited Perth) I would like to see your country as well. Just no idea where to go...

CJ Kennedy said...

The Eldest and I visited the Statue of Liberty on a school trip. The Eldest didn't want to climb up inside as she was nervous about heights. We walked around the base of the statue and admired the statue. I think Ms. Liberty is quite impressive. I've never seen been to the Arch.

Lisca said...

How interesting. I had never heard of this arch. It is indeed beautiful. I particularly like the black and white night photo. You went up to the top? Wow, that is high! Is there a viewing platform? I’ll go and Google it in a minute. It will tell me more.
You have the photo in a frame, so this arch must have a special meaning for you. (But I haven’t quite understood that)
Thank you so much for featuring this beautiful monument.
Happy second on the 2nd,
Hugs,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

I do remember the rant about the Statue of Liberty. I still think both monuments are so different and stand for such different things that size doesn't really matter. The purpose of the arch is to see to the west, so they had to make a viewing space. But the Statue of Liberty isn't for viewing as much as it signifies the arrival of a new start for many. And I had to climb up to see out of the arch also. I visited the arch back in either 1980 or 1981 when I went with my grandmother to visit her sister (who was my mother's age) who lived in central Illinois. She took me down to the arch and to visit her son who lived in St. Louis. We had a great day. I remember getting some frozen custard from a famous place whose name I can't remember or think of. We also had lunch at McDonald's on one of those riverboats. Now I wouldn't go to McDonald's but I'd never been on a riverboat at that time nor had I crossed the Mississippi at that time either so it was a big deal. I did enjoy reading this post again, and also reminiscing a bit too. This was a nice pick for second on the second. Have a great July 4th weekend. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

I enjoyed your thoughts on St.Louis, my home town. I was born there, went to school there, and graduated from Washington University, also there. When I left, the arch was only half built, but you could see the two parts all the way from the WU campus, something like 7 miles away.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Empire of the Cat said...

That was very interesting, I know of the arch due to any TV shows set in St Louis, but haven't been there. I have been to NYC several times though, and enjoyed my trip to Liberty Island. Happy second on the second! Oh and fyi I posted my napkins yesterday with real stamps on the package! Elle/EOTC xx

My name is Erika. said...

I wanted to answer your question about visiting the Statue of Liberty that you asked in my blog comment. Like you, I had visited the Arch first, and even though I had seen the Statue of Liberty from far off, I never actually got there until either 2002 or 2003. I remember it was after 9/11 because you could only walk around the grounds and not go up, and we went to visit the Twin Towers site on the same trip. It was my husband and daughter's first trip to NYC. After we left the Statue we went to Ellis Island and did the tour about the immigrants coming to America. Have you done that? There are 3 stairways: one for those immigrants who were heading to New England and upstate NY, one for those who were going into NYC, and one for those going anyplace else in the US. Three of my grandparents came through Ellis Island and I always remember they would have taken the stairway that lead to trains going to New England. Anyhow, after that I paid to use their computer system (this was the days before ancestry and other home use links) to find out what ships those grandparents came in on and when. Perhaps my visit was marked by this experience that I saw that statue of liberty in a different way. Funny, my grandmother I visited the arch with was the only one who didn't come through Ellis Island as she was born in PA. This has been a great July 4th discussion too, about our nation and how it was built. If you think about immigrants and the the Statue of Liberty and how the west was built being symbolized by the arch. Or at least how I see them, which may have nothing to do with why they are like they are. hugs again-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

OK, one more comment that is totally irrelevant to this post. I didn't notice how my envelope with my napkins couldn't be square for just 1 stamp. I had mailed it Wednesday and it came back to me with a note (from my local PO, probably the lady grateful I saved her from the lose bees when my bees were flying around the PO in May-smile) Anyhow, the note said I needed more postage, but it wasn't postmarked or stamped in any way, so since we are getting close to the deadline, I added the needed postage and have mailed it again. Sorry if I am holding the process up. I was hoping by this point my envelope would be at least west of the Mississippi.

Divers and Sundry said...

I haven't seen either. Interesting information. Thanks!

Lydia C. Lee said...

That's really interesting on the sunlight warping the arch until it was joined up. The world is quite amazing when you learn the details....