Thursday, January 13, 2022

Second Thursday Tutorial: a baker's dozen

 

I've been creating Second Thursday Tutorials since January, 2016.  I thought I would share a review of some of my favorite tutorials.  These are all located on my Tutorials page.

From 2016. 

This is from 2016, and one of my favorite tutorials.

I made my own Baker's twine from crochet thread I would never use as crochet, several index cards, and colored Sharpies.   Although more time consuming than anything, the results are worth it.

I must have been on a mission to use my Sharpies back in 2016, because I created another tutorial using them.

Using Sharpies and 91% Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton/poly blend bed sheet,

I created flowers

 I could use for a fabric cover for a scrappy journal. 

 

From 2017.

  This was the year I began experimenting with dyeing fabric.  My first experiment involved juice I siphoned from black beans.

I was quite impressed and pleased with the results I got.

The following month, I decided to dye fabric (an old bed sheet) with turmeric.

I was even happier with how the turmeric dyed fabric turned out.


From 2018.
 
I showed three ways to turn those wonderful 3-ply napkins we all love into ways to use them in your altered books and art journals. 

I used Pellon (also known an Wonder Under) which I thought worked best, cling wrap which didn't work well at all, and freezer paper which worked great, but eliminated the transparent element of the napkin.

That same year, I showed various resists, including vaseline/petroleum jelly, a bleach pen, salt, and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Here I've used dye ink, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, and salt to create this background.  When dry, the salt brushes away easily, or can be captured and used again. 
 

From 2019.

I spent two sessions dyeing cabbage.  I showed how different mordants 

affected the outcome of the dye color in the fabric. 

Another project included flower pounding of my lovely irises.

This fabric was nicely mottled.

This fabric was even prettier because it picked up some of the green from the stems.

From 2020.

I got these gels at a huge discount some years before and decided it was time to use and compare them.  This turned out to be quite interesting and I learned a lot along the way, too.

In another tutorial, I showed how to paint and manipulate cheesecloth in art journals and altered books.

For an example, I created flowers in a field and sewed the cheesecloth to a sheet of 110 lb cardstock.
 
From 2020.
 
I spent two tutorials creating faux shibori using various spray mists and various folding techniques.
 
This was my first attempt.
 
I got some decent results the second time around.

Just to prove all my tutorials are not centered around fabric, I learned this technique from my friend Sharon who shared it on her blog.  I have created shaving cream paper before, but this was a new technique I had not heard of before.

The idea is, you allow the shaving cream with the dye ink to sit at least an hour and overnight if needed.
 
In return, you get something beautiful like this.
 

 From 2021.
 
There's no question this is one tutorial lots of people found useful.  I showed various ways to use instant coffee to make some pretty awesome backgrounds for art journals and altered books.

The other tutorial many seemed to enjoy was how to create your own vellum using baby oil and regular copier/printer paper.

You can print images using either a laser printer (the rooster) or an ink jet printer (the Paris image) before you add the baby oil, or leave the paper plain. 
 
I hope you enjoyed this look back at a baker's dozen of my Second Thursday tutorials I have created since 2016.  It's good I had lots to choose from, because some didn't turn out as well as others.


12 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Black beans! And it came out great! Tumeric - also a very cool idea! It looks like summer!
Looks like you´re quite a scientist, experimenting with it all!
The irises look great, too on the fabric. Shaving cream?! Wow! That is beautiful!!!

Enjoyed?! I´m more than impressed!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of useful ideas for being creative. Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

You are SO talented, creative and industrious. I am in awe.

Mae Travels said...

My recent reading about the history of textiles had a whole chapter on dyes throughout history, beginning with natural dyes and including the development of synthetic dyes. Your tutorials made me think about this book. I went back and read:

“Any weed can be a dye,” fifteenth-century Florentine dyers used to say. But that’s only if you want yellows, browns, or grays—the colors yielded by the flavonoids and tannins common in shrubs and trees. Reds and blues are complicated and scarce, and greens all but impossible. Chlorophyll doesn’t work as a dye. Only rarely can you simply put plant matter in hot water and dye fibers by steeping them in the solution. A few plants do yield tints that easily—onion skins, for instance—but most require additional chemical help, at least if you want the color to last more than a single washing.

Source: Virginia I. Postrel, The Fabric of Civilization, p. 110.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

You have some great tutorials Elizabeth. I remember some of them but not all of them. I'd love links to go back to the ones I don't remember. And results. I think you should repost some of these, maybe for second on the second. Also, just a question, but a sent you an email back when you had no internet and I was wondering if you received it. Have a super Thursday. hugs-Erika

Debra said...

Your tutorials are amazing. I have learned so much from them recently. Thank you for all your dedicated work and for sharing these!

Nancy said...

Nice variety of techniques. I think my favorite is your instant coffee backgrounds. The shaving cream is also a fun one.

Divers and Sundry said...

You have so many artistic accomplishments to look back on. Such a variety!

Sandra Cox said...

All kinds of great info here. The flowers are just beautiful.
I still have a tie dyed sheet, I did many, many years ago.
YOU take special care.

DVArtist said...

I have used black bean juice for art before. Everything here is wonderful. You are so talented.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

tie dyes and the coffee's; two favorite posts to read too !!! thanx for sharing Elizabeth ☺☺♥♥

craftytrog said...

A fantastic array of tutorials Elizabeth. I must say the turmeric dyed fabric is really beautiful.