Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Art Journal Advent Calendar (Days 7-12)

 

I want to begin by saying that in case you don't hear from me today or tomorrow, it is because I have no electricity.  We have electrical outage warnings due to high winds.  They are supposed to be sustained at 50 mph, with gusts that could reach up to 80 mph.  These are straight line winds, but could be as severe as tornadic winds.  My electricity company is on standby and will be repairing downed lines as soon as it is safe for the employees to be in those buckets that are needed to repair the lines.  I just want you to know before it gets too late to let everyone know.

Now lets join Michelle of RaspberryBlueSky and Tamara of MaraKreativStudio as they work on their Art Journal Advent Calendar.  They are on Instagram, but since I am not, I will only be showing my advent calendar here.

Day 7's prompt was Take a short break.  I sat on my front porch listening to Pink Floyd and looked for faces in the clouds.  The background is cloud scrapbook paper and the music refers to Dark Side of the Moon, one of Pink Floyd's classic hits and albums.

Day 8's prompt is Fulfillment.  I'm fulfilling my desire to be a mixed media artist.  The word DAY was stickers, the bottom layer was wallpaper, then left over scrapbook paper from Day 4, dyed (by me) ribbon, a tag from something I purchased from Westinghouse, and cat washi tape.  Note December 8 was actually created on December 8.

Day 9's prompt was Boundaries.  It was the hardest page to try to photograph because of the silver stripes that reflected everything.  The black you see

is my camera reflecting the paper, which is gift wrap.  When I saw that prompt, my mind immediately went to sports.  As you might be able to read:
When you carry or throw a football out of bounds, you stop the clock.
When you carry or throw a basketball out of bounds, you cause a turnover.
In sports, different boundaries result in different outcomes.

Day 10's prompt was Inner Strength.  The background is a piece of beautiful batik fabric.  I chose it for the colors.  I like to believe my inner strength will some day guide me to be a good mixed media and collage artist.  Although the fabric was glued to the page, all the paper pieces were stapled together.

Day 11's prompt is Free Spirited Soul.

This caused some reflection on my part.  I decided the background had to include a nature theme.  I had this flashcard in my stash, so I crumpled it and ran my dirtyhands on it.  I'm not sure why, but I thought it looked too stark and pristine when I laid it on the background.  Another thing I found in my stash was this angel, to which I added the butterfly sticker.  I had been playing with a paint chip sample that I outlined in black ink and added some old powder makeup my enabler friend Sally had just given me.  I thought it went well with the rest of the page, to which I also wrote the day's prompt in blue ink to match the blue in the flashcard.

Day 12's prompt was Dreams that give you strength.  Somehow, I thought this was quite philosophical.  At the least it was abstract, at most it was esoteric.  I decided to grab as many disparate bits and pieces from my stash as I could find, then added the rocking horse sticker.  However, I finally found the words I was hoping for.

Dream only Good Dreams! brought it all together.

Thank you for joining me today as I shared my next six Art Journal Advent pages.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

To "a German" this sounds unbelievable! Our cables mostly are in the earth so a wind would never do any throuble.
And you have these problems so often, it´s weird!
Not once in my life did we run into a situationd of no electricity! (I know it fromm traveling Australia, though, we had a gas lamp and such).
Crazy.
How is it handled when you got to work and can´t?! Who pays for that?
Reckon hospitals etc have a proper back-up, but what about us "small people"?

Awww, day 7 made me smile VERY BIG. Good idea!!! THAT is life!!! Great page with the music, too.
Ingo would run to join you! He loves Pink Floyd.

Day 8 is great, too! And day 9. Boy, I would´ve struggled with that one, but reckon - and I learn that now through my new customer, who has a very demanding black cat - what boundaries are, LOL! Her name is Emmi. The cat´s :-)
Interesting to go to sports like that, too!
Day 10 is a bit scary. The crosses... they are.
Great the angel came up!
The last sure made me think of my Aussie-friends. It´s always a trouble for people to get Ingo´s name right. Mine, by pronouncation starts with an "A", kinda, so they try it with his as well.
Ingo: "like Dingo, without D" (wild Australian dog). Friend Mark: "Or Bingo without B." There you have it :-)

What a great idea to come up with one theme a day!

Elephant's Child said...

I hope that if you do lose electricity it is short lived.
And yes, Dark Side of the Moon speaks to me. Loudly.
And I think that you are already a good mixed media artist. Very good.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of lovely pages for your advent challenge. Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

I really enjoyed reading about your Advent calendar journal prompts and the process about each page. My favorite was Day 7 Take A short Break. I would have liked to be with you sitting on your front porch, listening to music, and looking for faces in the clouds. Take care and I hope the winds aren't as strong as predicted.

Annie said...

I like watching and reading these advent posts from you. It’s fun to learn how you interpret the prompts. You have some deep thinking processes as well as some light hearted ideas for completing each day.

Debra said...

Yes, you already are a great mixed media artist! I especially love the last one-it really speaks to me.

Mae Travels said...

Good luck with the windy weather and the threat to the electric grid. It's really been a bad season for a lot of people -- heavy snow in the Mountain West, record-breaking tornados in the midwest, and so on. I hope you don't break any records!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sandra Cox said...

So sorry you've been dealing with those high, dangerous winds. Hope by now it's better.
I'm enjoying the Advent Calendar, especially day twelve.
Loved my card. What a lovely surprise. Thank you, dear Elizabeth.

Sharon Madson said...

I am enjoying your calendar. I especially like the 7th and 12th. I can picture you out on your porch in this wonderful not December weather! Even as windy as it is today , it is mild out. I did try to walk and about got blown over, so I came back home.
BTW, I did not get your email! I sent you one answering that, it wonder if you got it? Why do we have so much trouble with email and mail?? LOL

Let's Art Journal said...

I hope the winds haven't caused too much chaos to the electrics? Your creations look fabulous, loving the collage elements and that kitty cat washi tape is perfect 😁. Take care and wishing you well! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

These power outages are frustrating! I hope you have power again soon.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm glad you shared these pages with us. They are great. I also like how you explained them since it's always interesting (to me) to see where people are coming from when they create. I hope you power is back on and the winds have died down. It's never fun to be without power. Hugs-Erika

Jenn Jilks said...

So many lost power from that windstorm!

craftytrog said...

I love your pages Elizabeth, it's great to see how differently you and I interpret the themes. Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favourite albums, I'm going to search it out to listen to as I do a blog post.
Alison